Study: half of iPhone users have added unofficial third party apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An extensive study released Tuesday by Rubicon Consulting reveals that nearly one half of US iPhone users have taken measures to add applications to the handset on their own, while just a bit more than 10 percent say they've unlocked the device from AT&T's wireless network.

More specifically, the survey of 460 randomly-selected iPhone users last month found that nearly 50 percent have at one point added at least one application to the handset. Among those people who did add applications, the average person added 4.3 new programs, but only around 10 percent say they added 6 or more applications.

Ah, surveys. Unfortunately, the exact word-for-word question is not mentioned in this article, but if they asked more or less the same thing that AppleInsider posted, then the question was NOT at all about whether users had jailbroken their iPhones, as the headline and first line of the article imply. There are at least a couple big reasons why people might agree that they've added an application to their iPhone when they've never actually jailbroken it. For example, the iTunes Store on the iPhone was an application that came with a firmware update, which virtually all users installed, so some people answering the survey may have felt that installing it constituted adding an application. Also, you can install buttons for Web apps right alongside Apple's application icons, so some people may have considered that "installing an application" on their iPhone.

So basically, if the word "jailbreak" was not in the survey question, then this may not be quite the headliner that it's been made out to be.

It would have been a lot more interesting if the survey had asked "Have you jailbroken your iPhone to install an application?" If the person taking the survey said "Huh?" or "No" then they would apparently not have jailbroken it. I'm certainly not an expert, but I highly doubt that almost half of all iPhone users in the U.S. have actually jailbroken their iPhones to install an application as the survey results and this article seem to imply.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Can I just say I really hate flash on any computer. You can't copy/paste and you can't right click to open in a new tab/window which I find extremely annoying.

All flash-based advertising can go get stuffed as far as I'm concerned. Pop ups and eye blasters only cheapen your brand to me . that the options section when you right click a flash advertisement even allows you the choice to give the advertising companies access to my computer microphone or webcam is just multiple different kinds of creepy.

The only times flash is any good is the occasional artsy website and flash based games, and even then my veil of tolerance is thinly smeared.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Survey reporting more people over 70 having iPhones than highschool kids? I say this was a terribly inadequate sampling. I'd love to know their methods of getting survey subjects...

Also, to the article writer: "Rubicon also noted anecdotal reports which appear to indicate that some 33 percent of iPhone users also carry a second mobile phone for traditional voice calling, or for other functions the iPhone doesn't perform well. Among those toting another mobile phone, the Blackberry was the most popular, carried by almost one iPhone user in ten."

Did the ACTUAL SURVEY QUESTION include those reasons for carrying another phone, or did it simply ask if they carry another phone. Assuming it's the latter, Why did you choose to infer that they were carrying a second phone because of seeming inadequacies? I'd imagine that many, if not most of them, are carrying a second phone for work related purposes, including maintaining a business-only phone line, and/or for use with corporate email. The fact that the most popular second phone is a Blackberry model just confirms that thought. You have to remember how many enterprises are currently using the Blackberry email system,

not to mention the fact that iPhone exchange support won't be out until June.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Totally justifying Apple taking a tribute - I mean a slice - of the calls and data.

How much of the increase in expenditure is down to Apple's slice? Did people's calls and data use also rise by 24%?

Not so fast. That extra ~$20 probably reflects the use of the data plan, which for most users, they hadn't subscribed to data on their phone before. It's almost exactly the difference between the cost of my Sprint plan and what I'd pay if I had an phone, because it really almost does need a data plan to operate satisfactorily.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coremonkey View Post

WTH, this isn't a friggen notebook people!!! What cell phone has the ease interface and the functionality of Safari? Let me know please, I'll be standing in line to buy it!

Maybe being better than everyone else isn't always enough.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post

I find it retarded that questioning 400 people gives you results for all iPhone owners. They only missed 3 million people that have a iphone.

As long as the sample is properly randomized, I'd think that sample is probably about right. I personally don't understand the guts of it, but sampling theory doesn't require asking everyone, just a small randomized sampling of the population, and you might get a margin of error of about ±3%. Asking everyone is simply an unrealistic, and completely unnecessary proposition.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Although the death(s) of the US economy has been greatly exaggerated, nonetheless let's focus on the big issue here.

Apple has sold maybe about 8 million iPhones *globally* now. At least 50% of those, maybe even 60%, are unlocked for various reasons.

I do not have the evidence with me right now, but I am confident these are the true numbers that will emerge by the end of the year.

Looking at AT&T activations alone, is but staring at one's belly while your hands flail widely, and saying "Ooh, look at mahh belly"...
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Although the death(s) of the US economy has been greatly exaggerated, nonetheless let's focus on the big issue here.

Apple has sold maybe about 8 million iPhones *globally* now. At least 50% of those, maybe even 60%, are unlocked for various reasons.

I do not have the evidence with me right now, but I am confident these are the true numbers that will emerge by the end of the year.

Looking at AT&T activations alone, is but staring at one's belly while your hands flail widely, and saying "Ooh, look at mahh belly"...

8 million???????

Maybe in Canadian numbers but based on Apple's numbers, way lower than that.....
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

8 million???????

Maybe in Canadian numbers but based on Apple's numbers, way lower than that.....

I think it's possible, The Apple last stated numbers are from three months ago.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it's possible, The Apple last stated numbers are from three months ago.

It is completely not possible that Apple sold 4 million phones through the launch, back to school, and through the Christmas selling season.... and then sold another 4 million phones in the last three months AFTER Christmas.

8 million? jeese.......(* rolls eyes *)
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

It is completely not possible that Apple sold 4 million phones through the launch, back to school, and through the Christmas selling season.... and then sold another 4 million phones in the last three months AFTER Christmas.

Maybe it's unlikely, but it's possible.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Maybe it's unlikely, but it's possible.

It is NOT even possible because Apple's manufacturing capacity couldn't support it.

The most wild-eyed pie in the sky estimates that came out this morning, show as many as 4000 and 6000 phones a week going into china and russia. And half that into Africa.

If you assume as crazy as that sounds, that it's DOUBLE that number, you're talking less than a half million hacked phones into those other big countries for the ENTIRE quarter!

If Apple planned on selling a million phones for the quarter, and had ZERO allowance for this activity, their numbers would be off by 50%. (a huge amount)

The idea that you could find someone in the world stock piling another 1.5 MILLION iPhones somewhere OTHER than China, Russia , and Africa without anyone noticing is silly.

Assume Australia couldn't have 100,000 jacked phones in the quarter.

Europe has sales through valid sources.

Canada is a mess.

Africa, China, and Russia could be accounted for with off the wall numbers as high as a half million.

You simply CAN'T come up with a sales number of 8 million by the end of this quarter using any valid estimates. Off the wall numbers reported this morning even if DOUBLED, don't get you near it.

And like I said, Apple hasn't manufactured anything NEAR what would be required so this is just a bad bad bad number.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

It is NOT even possible because Apple's manufacturing capacity couldn't support it.

How do you know what Apple's capacity is, and that they didn't expand their capacity?

Quote:

Europe has sales through valid sources.

At high prices compared to a hacked phones & tied with expensive plans, and only "valid" sources in four out of 30 countries.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

How do you know what Apple's capacity is, and that they didn't expand their capacity?

I think if you do a little research, you'll see recent third party reports from there suppliers saying Apple had scaled back a little. Not quadroupled. (* rolls eyes again...*)
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

I think if you do a little research, you'll see recent third party reports from there suppliers saying Apple had scaled back a little. Not quadroupled. (* rolls eyes again...*)

Assuming that those reports are factual (they are rumors), and they aren't leaving out adding alternate suppliers. Even then, how does a "little" scale back convert to 1M made?
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Assuming that those reports are factual (they are rumors), and they aren't leaving out adding alternate suppliers. Even then, how does a "little" scale back convert to 1M made?

You need to drop it.

Look, Apple scaled back their production.

It was common knowledge and was reported. (often as rumors but coming from their suppliers)

Apple was called on the issue in their conference call.

Apple went OUT OF THEIR WAY to point out they did NOT cut their production as a result of any belief they wouldn't sell 6 million in 2008. (to reach 10 million)

They went OUT OF THEIR WAY to say they cut their production from the run rate they used leading into inventory levels they would need to support their biggest quarter historically..... Christmas.

So they cut from the run rate they were using to what THEY call (Apple not a rumour) "seasonal adjustments" they do every year to account for a slow down after January settles out. They were asked specific questions on the number of days of inventory and they said (late in January) they were managing to keep that inventory from growing in a normal way seasonally and they didn't see any problem making their numbers for the year. (Also see Cook's press conference, he's at Apple and not a rumour)

This is silly.

You can get this information either from transcripts of press conferences from Apple, or from news reports based on suppliers that are reliable and directly from what Apple said in some cases.... less that 45 days ago.

Unless you think they sold 2 million phones in the month of March, they CAN'T hit 8 million phones by now no matter what. Period. Done. Let's move along... nothing to see here. There is NO 8 million phone rumur. There are no sources at any supplier, at any retail outlet, or anybody even remotely related to Apple let alone the people that stand up in conferences and put it on the line, nobody saying anywhere that they tripled their sales per week starting in of all months, the slow month of Feb.

EDIT:Triple the run rate FOR CHRISTMAS SALES in Feb. (can't happen)

It's a dumb idea, it can't happen, move along.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

Apple went OUT OF THEIR WAY to point out they did NOT cut their production as a result of any belief they wouldn't sell 6 million in 2008. (to reach 10 million)

They've went out of their way to say that they were going to sell 10 million in 2008.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Are there any iPhone threads that don't eventually devolve into an argument over 10 million in 2008 vs. 10 million through 2008?

Can't we just make a sticky where people can run around in circles about this?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

They've went out of their way to say that they were going to sell 10 million in 2008.

So there's no friggin way they could have cut their production below the December quater level, and sell more phones if their inventory was down and under control as they said.

So they cut their production down and this guy wants to see 4 million phones sold this last quarter?

Again, from Apple's information, they CAN'T hit 8 million by March 31st.

Period.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    iPhone replacing laptops, hmmm, all the more reason that iPhone should have business specific applications. this one is for you developers