MB style keys on the next MBP

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think I may have the answer as to why Apple didn't bother to update the keyboard on the latest MBPs.

Having used a MBA for a few days, I can confirm that the MBA's backlit keyboard isn't as neat as the MBP's - due to the gap between the keys on the MBA, the backlight reflects on the edges of the gap and the ridge between the keys, and the result is a slightly confusing arrangement of horizontal and vertical lines between the keys. With the current MBP keyboard that doesn't really happen as the keys but up against each other and the backlit keyboard is super-legible in low light conditions.

I suspect Apple may have to tweak the keyboard again before we see the new MBPs.

The more I use the MBA, the more I appreciate my MBP!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member

• Reply 2 of 9
    This seems excessively nit-picky.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think you're wrong. We didn't see it cause they didn't have a new design ready pure and simple.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

This seems excessively nit-picky.

Maybe he is being nit-picky (and it's probably not the reason that the new MBP has yet to be released) but the MBA back-lighting does look like hell.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Isn't the very core of being a Mac user to be nit-picky?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Thats interesting, the backlight on the MBP looks much better or neater compared to the MBA. Its amazing because of darkness, the bright aluminium casing of MBA and MBP looks as though they are black in colour.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    The new flatter Apple keyboards are so much better in terms of feel and feedback than the previous versions and that on the current MacBook Pro. The spacing and movement allows very positive keystrokes which makes for fast as well as more comfortable typing. Keyboard feel is what elevates the MBA above the MBP in my opinion. To me this basic functional benefit is much more important than backlighting. Backlighting is a "nice to have", but keyboard feel is a "must have".
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

The new flatter Apple keyboards are so much better in terms of feel and feedback than the previous versions and that on the current MacBook Pro. The spacing and movement allows very positive keystrokes which makes for fast as well as more comfortable typing. Keyboard feel is what elevates the MBA above the MBP in my opinion. To me this basic functional benefit is much more important than backlighting. Backlighting is a "nice to have", but keyboard feel is a "must have".

I think the exact opposite and, nit-picky or not I agree the MBA backlighting looks a helluva mess.

I'd be very happy if they just made the MBP keys translucent black as per the old TiBook and kept the actual key type and backlighting as they are.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I call them Chicklet keyboards. That comes from the old RadioShack Color Computer.