WSJ's Mossberg says 3G iPhone due in 60 days

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Speaking at a Beet.tv executive summit, well-known Wall Street Journal writer Walt Mossberg has stirred the pot by stating that an iPhone with 3G access will be available within 60 days.

The journalist makes his off-hand but apparently certain statement while discussing the relatively poor state of Internet access in the US, whose cellular and landline connections are often outrun by foreign providers.

Mossberg doesn't cite any sources in his talk with executives, in which he also comments that the Apple TV is limited by the speed of American Internet access.

However, the technology critic is also known for gaining privileged access to information and products from Apple. Mossberg received his review iPhone on June 11th last year -- more than two weeks before the touchscreen cellphone was available to the general public and ahead of most other journalists.

The comments echo the increasingly repeated June timetable for a launch of an iPhone with faster wireless access. In recent days, multiple analysts have predicted that Apple will unveil its 3G iPhone no later than June, with Piper Jaffray claiming that the ongoing iPhone shortage is a sign of inventory control measures meant to phase out older models.

T-Mobile Germany has further sparked interest by subsidizing the price of 8GB iPhones in a promotional campaign that ends June 30th.

Mossberg's statement can be seen in the video below at the 6 minute, 53 second mark.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Tell you what..

Perhaps Apple plans on releasing the 3G iPhone soon, but a few times recently they've had to put things back an extra couple of weeks or months.

What better way of saving face and getting rumours stirring than letting one of their trusted reporters mention that it'll be available "within 60 days".

I mean... for 2 months instead of hearing factual "Apple promises the next iPhone will be due by June 5th"... it'll be 2 months of speculation "Is Apple ready to release a new iPhone"... And either headline will reduce the demand on the 2G version which may help Apple with an undersupply issue.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Is it likely the 3G iphone will just be the current iphone but with 3G and possibly a better battery or will it also be a true sucessor?
  • Reply 3 of 82
    Perhaps I could be mistaken, but doesn't Apple have to disclose to the FCC 6 months in advance if they are coming out with a new version of the iPhone. Or does this not really apply since it will probably be the same phone only with 3G abilities?
  • Reply 4 of 82
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Is it likely the 3G iphone will just be the current iphone but with 3G and possibly a better battery or will it also be a true sucessor?

I don't know what you mean by a "true successor" but I'd say it'll have HSPA, GPS, a better rear camera, most probably a second front camera, a bigger battery to make up for the less efficient 3G and probably more memory. I'd say they'll keep the existing phone and discount it. This reflects the tendency for other mobile phone makers to have a 2G/3G split in their product line (although less so going forward) and the need for Apple to provide a lower priced option to grow their market share.

Of course this includes the v2.0 software, which could bring anything besides third party apps.

I think an announcement in June is all but certain.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_Moriarty View Post

Perhaps I could be mistaken, but doesn't Apple have to disclose to the FCC 6 months in advance if they are coming out with a new version of the iPhone. Or does this not really apply since it will probably be the same phone only with 3G abilities?

Apparently you are mistaken, they no longer have to do that from reports. Anyway ot was only about 3 months.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    crtaylorcrtaylor Posts: 82member
    I just hate the way these big companies treat consumers like we are mindless sheep. Either the product being advertised is something that is totally irrelevant to my situation or is completely insulting to my intelligence. Why should their be eight minutes of commercials for every TV show out there. It is just stupid. Plus, the companies advertising these products use totally stupid methods to lure us into buying total pieces of crap half the time!

As companies grow larger and fewer and farther between, they will only get more powerful and less considerate of customers. Just look at the Great Depression and you will see what I mean. Big business often does not look after the customer but acts like it is god, which is why they feel they can get away with cheating American consumers. We do not just need to spend more; we need to have more small businesses and more competition so that the consumer can have more choices and less money coming out of his or her wallet.

In order for this to happen, American citizens need to be empowered to think and stand up for themselves instead of being content with sitting on their buts and being nullified by the man. There is a reason why the National Anthem describes this place as "the home of the brave". We are supposed to be "brave" enough to stand up for the well being of this country and its citizens politically, socially, and economically. Therefore, "the man" and this kind of consumer trickery will only exist as long as we let it.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I don't know what you mean by a "true successor" but I'd say it'll have HSPA, GPS, a better rear camera, most probably a second front camera, a bigger battery to make up for the less efficient 3G and probably more memory. I'd say they'll keep the existing phone and discount it. This reflects the tendency for other mobile phone makers to have a 2G/3G split in their product line (although less so going forward) and the need for Apple to provide a lower priced option to grow their market share.

Of course this includes the v2.0 software, which could bring anything besides third party apps.

I think an announcement in June is all but certain.

Yeah thats what I was referring to. A few improvments like improved camera would make a world of a difference especially as the competition is getting closer and closer even in terms of interface. Had a look at a Samsung F480 and although not as smooth it looks the closest thing to an iphone interface yet. Anyway roll on June...
  • Reply 8 of 82
    floribusfloribus Posts: 24member
    Quote:

FACT IS MOST OF THE TIME PHONES GO TO MARKET WITHIN WEEKS OF FCC APPROVAL.

FACTS:

(1.) IPHONE GOT FCC APPROVAL ON MAY 17, 2007

(2.) IPHONE WENT TO MARKET JUNE 30, 2007
  • Reply 9 of 82
    Quote:

Thats exactly what everybody else did miss.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floribus View Post

FACT IS MOST OF THE TIME PHONES GO TO MARKET WITHIN WEEKS OF FCC APPROVAL.

FACTS:

(1.) IPHONE GOT FCC APPROVAL ON MAY 17, 2007

(2.) IPHONE WENT TO MARKET JUNE 30, 2007

But it takes time to get the approval. Using your May 17th date, and assuming that Apple requested FCC approval mid January 2007, it took the FCC four months to review and approve the iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

But it takes time to get the approval. Using your May 17th date, and assuming that Apple requested FCC approval mid January 2007, it took the FCC four months to review and approve the iPhone.

You have point but Apple didn't submit to the FCC right away. I believe it took less than 9 weeks from submission to approval.

edit: http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/r...%27BCGA1203%27
  • Reply 12 of 82
    floribusfloribus Posts: 24member
    Yes it does need new FCC approval since it is using a different radio.

*My wild guess is for a june 30 landing, since that's when the t-mobile promotion ends
  • Reply 13 of 82
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

I just hate the way these big companies treat consumers like we are mindless sheep. Either the product being advertised is something that is totally irrelevant to my situation or is completely insulting to my intelligence. Why should their be eight minutes of commercials for every TV show out there. It is just stupid. Plus, the companies advertising these products use totally stupid methods to lure us into buying total pieces of crap half the time!

Thanks for that terrific analysis.

Quote:

As companies grow larger and fewer and farther between, they will only get more powerful and less considerate of customers. Just look at the Great Depression and you will see what I mean.

LOL, you think that an 'inconsiderate corporate mindset' caused the Great Depression?
  • Reply 14 of 82
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

That is a good question! I'd guess that it will be a major revision with the current iPhone occupying a lower price bracket.

If not consider that there are a number of companies that would love to eat Apples lunch with respect to new Cell hardware. I've seen some interesting stuff that with suggestion that competitive products might hit by mid year. This includes cell phones with roll out screens. Of course these are new companies and getting new technology out the door isn't always easy.

In any event Apple could potentially offer up a lot of interesting tech in a new iPhone. It all depends upon how aggressive they want to be. Everybody is wound up about 3G but to me the is a minor feature or technology introduction. Just thinking about all the possibilities with respect to OLED is enough to make ones mouth water.

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 82
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

As companies grow larger and fewer and farther between, they will only get more powerful and less considerate of customers. Just look at the Great Depression and you will see what I mean. Big business often does not look after the customer but acts like it is god, which is why they feel they can get away with cheating American consumers. We do not just need to spend more; we need to have more small businesses and more competition so that the consumer can have more choices and less money coming out of his or her wallet.

In order for this to happen, American citizens need to be empowered to think and stand up for themselves instead of being content with sitting on their buts and being nullified by the man. There is a reason why the National Anthem describes this place as "the home of the brave". We are supposed to be "brave" enough to stand up for the well being of this country and its citizens politically, socially, and economically. Therefore, "the man" and this kind of consumer trickery will only exist as long as we let it.

Are our undies in a bunch or something this morning?

Its a friggin' phone for chrissakes....

Jeez.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    crtaylorcrtaylor Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Are our undies in a bunch or something this morning?

Its a friggin' phone for chrissakes....

Jeez.

I'm fine. I just wanted to comment on the video; that's all.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    from phonescoop.com

3g is needed to push more $$$$ generating product like moble tv, video etc and to compete

UICKIE:

All AT&T Smartphones to Be 3G-Enabled Within Months

Wednesday, 6:25 PM by Eric M. Zeman

AT&T CEO Ralph de la Vega confirmed that all of AT&T's smartphones, including BlackBerries and the Apple iPhone, will be running on AT&T's 3G network within months.

from AT&T

Share Related Discuss (3
  • Reply 18 of 82
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Whoa! Stupid me! I meant the Industrial Revolution! Anyway, the point of my post was taken home in its last paragraph, JERK!

Easy, there.

Easy.

-----

Hopefully this means the iPhone will finally make its way to Japan... However, there have been few hints to this lately.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

I'll give you two guesses what pays for those TV shows you're watching.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    citycity Posts: 522member
    When will the exclusive iPhone contract with AT&T end?