Airport Utility has a life of its own...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just now I was simply surfing the web in Safari and suddenly Airport Utility starts up and displays this (I blurred the non-essentials)

, apparently suggesting I set it up. Anew! Because my Airport Extreme net was actually functioning perfectly at that very moment...

WTF is going on?

Must I have hit an obscure keyboard combination that launches Airport Utility? (I don't think I hit ANY keyboard combination! Let alone an obscure one...).

Of course I didn't change any settings and quit Airport Utility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    You might want to update the firmware to 7.3.1 which fixed this issue for me
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks, rob.

According to OSX' Software Update my software is completely up-to-date. So where do I find info on that firmware 7.3.1 update?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Open Airprot Utility

Under Airport Utility in the menu bar use check for updates the firmware doesn't show in software update only via here as far as I know.

JUst follow what it says and make sure not to turn it off whilst it is running the update it will reboot when finished. It can take a few minutes to fully update the firmware.

you will also notice or I did the n speeds are better since the update to 7.3.1
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Open Airprot Utility

Under Airport Utility in the menu bar use check for updates the firmware doesn't show in software update only via here as far as I know.

JUst follow what it says and make sure not to turn it off whilst it is running the update it will reboot when finished. It can take a few minutes to fully update the firmware.

you will also notice or I did the n speeds are better since the update to 7.3.1

Thanks, rob.

I downloaded and installed it. It did keep asking me to reconfigure, though...

It's prolly too early to have noticed speed gains, I guess.

And I still think it's strange OSX's Software Update scheme doesn't catch that.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    One thing I do suggest now is to do a hard reset on the airport this will stop any possible dropouts of the connection after the firmware update.

Firstly use grab to take screen shots of the current config of the airport.

Them hold the reset button until the light flashes oranges a few times and the wait until it restarts and re-do the config.

I had problems after the firmware update with dropouts and the above solved them completely for me.

Updates for airport firmware have came via airport for quite sometime and seem to work ok that way.