WSJ's Mossberg says 3G iPhone due in 60 days

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

I just hate the way these big companies treat consumers like we are mindless sheep. Either the product being advertised is something that is totally irrelevant to my situation or is completely insulting to my intelligence. Why should their be eight minutes of commercials for every TV show out there. It is just stupid. Plus, the companies advertising these products use totally stupid methods to lure us into buying total pieces of crap half the time!

As companies grow larger and fewer and farther between, they will only get more powerful and less considerate of customers. Just look at the Great Depression and you will see what I mean. Big business often does not look after the customer but acts like it is god, which is why they feel they can get away with cheating American consumers. We do not just need to spend more; we need to have more small businesses and more competition so that the consumer can have more choices and less money coming out of his or her wallet.

In order for this to happen, American citizens need to be empowered to think and stand up for themselves instead of being content with sitting on their buts and being nullified by the man. There is a reason why the National Anthem describes this place as "the home of the brave". We are supposed to be "brave" enough to stand up for the well being of this country and its citizens politically, socially, and economically. Therefore, "the man" and this kind of consumer trickery will only exist as long as we let it.

Ummmm... PoliticalOutsider would be thataway.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 22 of 82
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

When will the exclusive iPhone contract with AT&T end?

Yeah, if Verizon could come to the table we'd all be wondering when the 4G iPhone is coming out.

I personally like to see T-Mobile carry the phone in the U.S.. Even though T-Mobile doesn't have a 3G network quite yet. I hear it is coming though. I'd like a flip iPhone with one screen on the outside and two on the inside.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    we all know that the 3G iphone will be released in june.... around 60 days from now...

i think his take on broadband and its implications are dead on! prices are high and speeds suck!

even fios is slow compared to 50-100(200)Mbit lines in europe and asia...

there has to be a fiber optic cable in every neighborhood and people should have the opportunity to hook up to it @ around 100Mbit up/download for around US$40-50... or less! the infrastructure in most places is missing... the urban sprawl is actually what causes this... if people would live closer together it would so much more easy to give them faster access... one fiber optics line for a dense area and the copper lines to give the nice 100/100Mbit BROADBAND... not the crapppy 1.5-6Mbit lines, and 6Mbit if your lucky...!
  • Reply 24 of 82
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Mossberg has been wrong many times before. Remember he said Adobe Flash was coming in a couple of months too.

And the FCC does have non-disclosure processes. That's why no one heard anything from FCC about the iPhone until it was approved. If Apple gets the timing right, they can announce a new iPhone revision and have them shipping within a couple of months without the FCC spoiling the party.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I don't know what you mean by a "true successor" but I'd say it'll have HSPA, GPS, a better rear camera, most probably a second front camera, a bigger battery to make up for the less efficient 3G and probably more memory. I'd say they'll keep the existing phone and discount it. This reflects the tendency for other mobile phone makers to have a 2G/3G split in their product line (although less so going forward) and the need for Apple to provide a lower priced option to grow their market share.

Of course this includes the v2.0 software, which could bring anything besides third party apps.

I think an announcement in June is all but certain.

Has anyone heard discussion of new iphone also being able to function as a modem for a laptop?
  • Reply 26 of 82
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

I'll give you two guesses what pays for those TV shows you're watching.

My thoughts exactly.

Although, commercials give me two outs - to go to the bathroom or raid the fridge. I guess I can hit the pause button if I had TIVO or AppleTV.

Walt says he'd be okay with paying $1.99 for shows without commercial interruption but has anyone done the math with regards to what sitcoms, sporting events, whatever you happen to be watching on tv right now costs and what they get for those commercials? If commercials cover the cost of a sitcom or sporting event, will $1.99 cover it or will it have to be even higher?

Plus what about new shows? Some shows are a hit shortly after they air while others takes time to build a loyal audience to bear economical fruit for the producers. If not enough $1.99's come in, would a show that might have potential later, be killed off before it ever got the chance to live?

How many tv shows have been downloaded from iTunes sinces their availability and divide that between the number of tv shows on iTunes available for download. In this stage of the game, is it viable to look at a pay for streaming or download only service in lieu of paid advertisements?

Regarding 3G iPhone in 60 days, won't effect me. Although I would like one, I think I would wait 2, 3 or 4 months for the $200.00 price drop that will be inevitable because of the increased competition by other mobile phone makers and their attempt at iPhone touchscreen, icon based navigation phone, packed with a whole lot of goodies for half the price of the iPhone's initial offering. Unless Apple unveils the second generation iPhone at current price structure and maybe, maybe, I won't wait.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedog View Post

Has anyone heard discussion of new iphone also being able to function as a modem for a laptop?

This is something that would be great and is available on most 3G phones (at least Nokia ones), but Apple seems to pander to AT&T a lot, so it's very doubtful.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Mossberg has been wrong many times before. Remember he said Adobe Flash was coming in a couple of months too.

And the FCC does have non-disclosure processes. That's why no one heard anything from FCC about the iPhone until it was approved. If Apple gets the timing right, they can announce a new iPhone revision and have them shipping within a couple of months without the FCC spoiling the party.

What? They announced it before they submitted it to the FCC.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:

apple has the choice of applying for the non-disclosure FCC thinggy.. then the FCC will post their stuff the day the iphone 3G is for sale in the apple stores and @ ATT...
  • Reply 30 of 82
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

LOL, you think that an 'inconsiderate corporate mindset' caused the Great Depression?

Whoa! Stupid me! I meant the Industrial Revolution! Anyway, the point of my post was taken home in its last paragraph, JERK!

[/QUOTE]

Prepare to be banished... er, banned....
  • Reply 31 of 82
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Now Apple will have to bring the release forward or suffer 2 months of poor sales. Nice one, Walt.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

This is something that would be great and is available on most 3G phones (at least Nokia ones), but Apple seems to pander to AT&T a lot, so it's very doubtful.

It's the same in the UK, Germany, France... The iPhone doesn't have that feature there either even though the carriers there usually allow 'tethering'. Whether it's AT&T spoiling the party for everyone else around the world or Apple not implmenting it, it's not working yet, either by USB or Bluetooth.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Not any different than the new car introductions at Detroit Auto Show every year. A lot are in final development and until there is a working model they have a slew of Federal and State Regulatory requirements to fulfill, e.g., EPA, DOT, NHTSA, SA, OVSC, etc.

Same for all communication devices, medications, planes, trains and automobiles.

In any event Jobs did outline the approval process at the announcement of the iPhone which was months before the launch. Two very different things.

Interesting. Steve keeps everything secret and doesn't announce anything until it is being shipped out the door and he gets crapped on. Steve pre-announces anything and he still gets crapped on. Even when he clearly states that it is coming in the next two years we get idiots that take it literally and admonishes him for being a 'day late.'

Perhaps some of us should speak to our moms and ask her how many times we said we were going to clean up our room and did so, vs the number of times we outwardly 'lied' to her. But then we weren't really 'lying', were we.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yeah, if Verizon could come to the table we'd all be wondering when the 4G iPhone is coming out.

I personally like to see T-Mobile carry the phone in the U.S.. Even though T-Mobile doesn't have a 3G network quite yet.

AT&T is planning to use the 70MHz spectrum they won for 4G LTE. With the amount of money the US CDMA carrier have put into 3G they may want to support it for a lot longer in order to recoup the cost. So we may find that AT&T jumps ahead with a faster, more saturated, LTE rollout... heres hoping, anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

I didn't think they did. I could have sworn we knew about the submission right after it happened, but I have yet to find any supporting evidence. The only non-disclosure I thought the FCC had was regarding images and manuals, which are released after a specified date.

I hope you are right and a 3G iPhone with a new design is around the corner. I'd like a solid plastic back. I like the aesthetics and durability of aluminium but I think the radio may get a better signal if their is a less obstructing material. Plus, despite the number of people making the iPhone their first ingress into smartphones, OS X (Macs) and even the seemingly ubiquitous iPod, I know people would purchase one for no other reason than if it had the best cell antenna range of a cell phone.

Quote:

That was for a different reason. Since most people purchase phones with contracts the 6 months heads up was a way of getting people ready for iPhone's emergence.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    The point is that 9 weeks is about 60 days, so Apple should have submitted the request already if it wanted to release the iPhone within 60 days.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floribus View Post

FACT IS MOST OF THE TIME PHONES GO TO MARKET WITHIN WEEKS OF FCC APPROVAL.

FACTS:

(1.) IPHONE GOT FCC APPROVAL ON MAY 17, 2007

(2.) IPHONE WENT TO MARKET JUNE 30, 2007

FACT IS:

You didn't post the date that Apple actually *submitted* the iPhone to the FCC.

FACT IS:

No one has posted a link to information as to how long the FCC approval process takes.

FACT IS:

The FCC non-disclosure, specifically with respect to the iPhone, has been mentioned several times at many sites. It's entirely possible that Apple has already gained approval for some or all of the changes planned for the next version. That could mean that it again would be possible to ship it very shortly after approval, and without beating Jobs to the punch regarding disclosing features, etc.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGui View Post

FACT IS:

No one has posted a link to information as to how long the FCC approval process takes.

That is not true. I posted a link to the 9 weeks it took from submission to approval for the iPhone. There is no set timeframe as different types of devices and any issues that arise will alter the duration of the approval process.

If Apple is confident that their new phone will be approved without any alteration, they can have the device pre-produced, save for laser etched FCC ID. This means that pre-ordering could begin the day the approval is announced with US bound shipments starting within a week.

PS: Historically, the US has gotten first dibs, but I would love to see this going to the UK, Éire, France, und Deutschland at the same time. Also, as a stockholder I'd also like the revenue sharing killed and this being sold in every country. The few hundred quid I may have to pay for the device is nothing compared to the gains from this being sold unlocked to a worldwide market.

PPS: I think Apple may hit $200 again this summer.

Note: I can't find anything that shows that the FCC submission process is open before the approval. This means, as previously stated, the approval process may have already been submitted. If Walt is so sure of himself it is possible that he has an inside source as the 60 day timeframe is still before WWDC and 1 year anniversary of the first iPhone. If I were him and didn't have a source, I would have stated 90 days to be safe.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Well, WWDC 2008 is in June, which is about 60 days away.

Plus, that's the same month when the iPhone OS v2.0 is due to be released as well.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

I'll give you two guesses what pays for those TV shows you're watching.

It is advertising, but it should be noted that there are other forms of advertising

than commercials for which the program must stop and start. Apple is one of the

biggest users of "product placement" advertising. Check out how many times

you see iMacs, Apple laptops, and lately iPhones being used by characters within

programs. This is not by accident and Apple is paying for it.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

It is advertising, but it should be noted that there are other forms of advertising

than commercials for which the program must stop and start. Apple is one of the

biggest users of "product placement" advertising. Check out how many times

you see iMacs, Apple laptops, and lately iPhones being used by characters within

programs. This is not by accident and Apple is paying for it.

Not all of them have to paid for by Apple. Certainly there are characters that would befit an iPhone (like McGee on NCIS) or fans of Apple products that just want to use the products because they like them.