Numbers update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well, there is not a lot of talk about Numbers, so I was wondering if anyone knows what Apple may be working on as far is Numbers in concerned?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I have no idea, but my guess is that we will see it get ODBC support so we can connect to a database to get the data we want to evaluate.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    I am hoping for a couple of things:
    • Some simple consumer-database solution with simple form generation (bento done right...)

• More advanced graphing, error bars being my main wish, the lack of which making the current version unsuitable for even the simplest uses in science

• ODBC connectivity would be great but I don't expect it as this is a consumer app

• Reply 3 of 8
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Steve Jobs, after finishing his demonstration, said Numbers completes the productivity suite, which upset many AppleWorks users because they have databases created in AppleWorks that they still need. What if, instead of a database application, Apple creates a database module for Numbers. Since AppleWorks uses a flat-file database, which is basically a database with one table, Numbers could import the database and have the data behind the canvas. If Apple did this Numbers v2.0 wouldn't need ODBC support for other databases and AppleWorks users could get their database data out of AppleWorks.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I don't see Numbers '09 coming until MWSF in January.

It would be nice if Bento was rolled into the suite, even if the price increased to $99.

Numbers needs a keyboard shortcut to add/delete columns & rows.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I'm hoping for more graph options too. Logarhytmic axis in a spread graph would be nice, without this feature this app is useless for me. (I often have to plot frequency responses in dB and such)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It would be nice if Bento was rolled into the suite, even if the price increased to $99.

s.

While it would be nice if Bento was put into iWork I don't think we'll see that as FileMaker has to make their own revenue & profit targets. What I hope to see is Bento being given full integration with iWork, iLife and iPhone/touch.

It also might help if Apple included a demo copy of Bento (with a Quicktime tutorial) in every Mac sold - might help get more resources onto Bento to speed up the maturing process.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I'm sure it's not too far off seeing as how Keynote 4.0.3 was just updated a few days ago. 04/03/08 to be exact.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I'm hoping for more graph options too. Logarhytmic axis in a spread graph would be nice, without this feature this app is useless for me. (I often have to plot frequency responses in dB and such)

Isometric viewing of plots would be nice.

Digraphs, and more within Discrete Mathematics modeling would be nice.

Linear Programming Modeling would be nice.

Numerical Analysis of the most commonly used Data Acquisition sets by expanding to have the macro capabilities one had in Quattro Pro in the early 90s would be a plus.

Database driver plugins for PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Sybase, et. al., to do provide a reports builder toolkit that can then be exported to various formats to work with Web Services would be a nice toolset.