RBC on shortage; Apple vs. Big Apple; T-Mobile's 99 Euro iPhones

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good one lol. Apple's lawyers (I surely this is being generated at some bureaucratic level) seem very worried about this logo confusion, I mean someone might mistake New York for a computer ... or worse a Mac for a City ... Hello?

It has nothing to do with someone mistakenly thinking NYC or the organization using the logo in question as a "computer" or a "Mac". It has to do with someone looking at the logo and assuming that somehow "Apple Inc." is supporting, sponsoring or somehow involved with the organization because they mistaken the logo for that of "Apple Inc.". Plus they see the word "Apple" appear with both logos.

Then the lawyers will go into a feeding frenzy when they sue the organization (that is using the logo) for false and deceptive advertising. And Apple Inc. for letting it happen by not preventing the organization from using the logo. A court case now (with some sort of settlement, it need not be monetary) will stop this from happening in the future. This will protect both the organization trying to trademark their logo and Apple Inc. Is just good business practice.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

And you have time left over to post almost 13000 times on this forum. I stand corrected. You are obviously well informed, but mostly on the negative side. I am sure that the many companies, be they American, Japanese and European have great difficulties doing business in Europe.

I stick to my initial point though, that Apple Corp could do much more to increase their footprint here to the benefit of their shareholders and customers. Their competitors do it quite successfully.

It doesn't take much time to read and post, unless you are slow. I'm also retired for the past four + years, so I have some time, do you?

And actually, those companies do have trouble doing business across Europe.

But I agree that Apple could do more, and they have sped up their toehold plans in Europe and the rest of the world, now that they have established their presence in The US. A greater percentage of stores are now opening outside of the US than before.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

On paper perhaps. Ever wonder how many sales have appeared at 70% off? How many companies have or are going under. How Dell is struggling so?

I would suggest that many manufacturers are posting higher suggested retail prices to help their distributors and resellers in their discount claims. Interesting that there are so many new products which are immediately discounted on the day they are introduced. But not Apple.

Best is on brand new cars. Instant $2000 rebate. 0% interest.

In Canada and a number of other countries, some pharmaceutical companies gave massive discounts to specific major accounts to offset impending generic substitution. Until that is, some of the provincial formularies passed laws that declared that the lowest price offered anywhere in the country now became their established price to everybody in their respective provinces.

Companies do sell products at outrageous discounts at times. Usually, that's in conjunction with the manufacturer giving them a greater discount, eliminating most of their own profit in order to move slow goods, or to make room on the shelves for new ones.

Dell, and Hp, for instance, often break even, or lose money on their cheapest models. They use that strategy to maintain, or to increase marketshare, while they make their money off the extras, expensive workstations, servers, and professional services and software.

In an article about Dell's changing sales strategy:

Quote:

The problem for Dell, Cannon said, has been that the company has invested heavily in the base design of a given PC. In the example Cannon gave, Dell had traditionally been able to upsell a low-end PC with options that could boost the total price dramatically. Dell's engineering investment would pay for itself if a customer bought the high-end, customized PC model, Cannon said. But if that customer purchased the base model, Dell could lose money.

The link:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2281207,00.asp

Then there's the coupons Dells offers that drop the price further, and make profit on the deal impossible.

You are right about companies posting higher suggested prices. That's the 40% markup I was talking about. it gives the dealers greater room to maneuver.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It doesn't take much time to read and post, unless you are slow. I'm also retired for the past four + years, so I have some time, do you?.

Yes, plenty since I retired two years ago.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

Yes, plenty since I retired two years ago.

Then you can join us often. The more the merrier.