Leopard & Boot Camp Disk Imaging Query

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've just ordered a new "Hitachi 5K500" 500GB 2.5" HDD (£179) for my 15" MBP. I want to make a disc image to save all my files and Apps so I don't have to take forever reinstalling everything when my new HDD goes in. Is a disc image the way to go? And if so, how do I do it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Crack open your computer and swap out the drives, then grab an external 2.5" enclosure. Boot off the external drive, download Carbon Copy Cloner or some other backup utility, format the new drive as Mac OSX Extended (Journaled), then copy your OSX partition from the original drive onto the new drive.

You should have a working internal drive now...

Reboot onto your new drive and run the Boot Camp Assistant to set up the new Windows partition.

Next use this nifty trick to copy your Windows installation to the new partition: http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/arc...07/100596.aspx

^^ That'll only work if you have a Vista install disc though. You don't actually install Vista and you don't need an activation code to run it so if you don't have a disc, just borrow one from someone.

This way you don't have to install and set up 2 OSes again.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

I've just ordered a new "Hitachi 5K500" 500GB 2.5" HDD (£179) for my 15" MBP. I want to make a disc image to save all my files and Apps so I don't have to take forever reinstalling everything when my new HDD goes in. Is a disc image the way to go? And if so, how do I do it?

I was under the impression that the Hitachi 5K500 was 3mm thicker than the standard 9.5mm 2.5 drives and thus wouldn't fit in a MBP. Please let me know how it goes, as I've been waiting for the Samsung 500's to come out (which are the old thickness, 9.5mm). If it fits, then I'll get a Hitachi.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I was under the impression that the Hitachi 5K500 was 3mm thicker than the standard 9.5mm 2.5 drives and thus wouldn't fit in a MBP.

Luckily I work for a computer store so if the drive doesn't fit I should be able to send it back. I got measurements from the datasheet on Hitachi's website and true the 5K500 drive is 12.5mm thick (that's a bit of a cop-out by Hitachi, oh well!)

For anyone looking at this upgrade themselves I'll give you my results here ASAP, they'll probably be bad results though!... anyway the ETA on the 5K500 currently stands at March 18th... watch this space!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Luckily I work for a computer store so if the drive doesn't fit I should be able to send it back. I got measurements from the datasheet on Hitachi's website and true the 5K500 drive is 12.5mm thick (that's a bit of a cop-out by Hitachi, oh well!)

For anyone looking at this upgrade themselves I'll give you my results here ASAP, they'll probably be bad results though!... anyway the ETA on the 5K500 currently stands at March 18th... watch this space!

Cool - hope it fits.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    All is not be lost! The Hitachi 5K500 is almost a certain no-hoper, but check this out Go old' Sammy...

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/s...do?news_id=904
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

All is not be lost! The Hitachi 5K500 is almost a certain no-hoper, but check this out Go old' Sammy...

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/s...do?news_id=904

Yeah, I'd been waiting on that one, but then saw that Samsung is also coming out with a 250Gig 7200rpm model (the M2, I think) shortly, so that's what I'm gettin'.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Yeah, I'd been waiting on that one, but then saw that Samsung is also coming out with a 250Gig 7200rpm model (the M2, I think) shortly, so that's what I'm gettin'.

The 500GB Spinpoint M6 is the way to go, I found a PDF from Hitachi today regarding compatibility of their Travelstar 5K500 500GB 2.5" drive, despite it's irregular 12.5mm height they state the Z-height is compatible with the MB & MBP, but may not be compatible with the internal mounting bracket, shock absorbers etc. What I really want ot know is WHEN CAN I GET A 500GB SAMMY SPINPOINT M6!!!! Samsung won't reply to my emails... my 160GB HDD leaves little room when you've got a Boot Camp partition and a Time Machine HD partition to deal with.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

The 500GB Spinpoint M6 is the way to go, I found a PDF from Hitachi today regarding compatibility of their Travelstar 5K500 500GB 2.5" drive, despite it's irregular 12.5mm height they state the Z-height is compatible with the MB & MBP, but may not be compatible with the internal mounting bracket, shock absorbers etc. What I really want ot know is WHEN CAN I GET A 500GB SAMMY SPINPOINT M6!!!! Samsung won't reply to my emails... my 160GB HDD leaves little room when you've got a Boot Camp partition and a Time Machine HD partition to deal with.

Yeah, I'm waiting on the 250 gig 7200 rpm Samsung drive myself. Supposedly they went to manufacturers, but dang if anyone is saying when we can buy them ourselves.