WSJ's Mossberg says 3G iPhone due in 60 days

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It's in the final report.

I don't know what final report youare referring to. If you have link, please post it; my link to the FCC site slearly has a submission date of 09-MAR-2007. Cetecom testing and certification is not the FCC, nor is the SAR testing that took place in 2006.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Their was an article on this awhile ago. Apple doesn't pay for product placement.

Which makes me wonder why "One Tree Hill," US TV Show, goes out of their way to digitally remove the Apple on the back of the MBP when that cost more than just letting it ride. They use to show the Apple logo but no more. Actually, sometimes it is on there and sometimes it is not, funny how they only take it out on long scenes.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Which makes me wonder why "One Tree Hill," US TV Show, goes out of their way to digitally remove the Apple on the back of the MBP when that cost more than just letting it ride. They use to show the Apple logo but no more. Actually, sometimes it is on there and sometimes it is not, funny how they only take it out on long scenes.

I think it was the show Alias that would place a round sticker over the Apple logo, but you could clearly see tehy were using PowerBooks.

Digitally removing or blurring a logo seems like a lot of work. I've seen it on reality shows too, and I'm not talking about offensive sayings, just logos. Just a wild guess with nothing to support it: Perhaps they the producers were playing hardball and when the advert money didn't come in they removed it in hopes they would pay up next time.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't know what final report youare referring to. If you have link, please post it; my link to the FCC site slearly has a submission date of 09-MAR-2007. Cetecom testing and certification is not the FCC, nor is the SAR testing that took place in 2006.

That is why I said it was "pretty close" and the first series of required test by a FCC authorized lab, i.e., CETECOM, began Jan 26.

Final submission to the FCC was in April, obviously after Apple got the final test results, reviewed it internally and compiled the necessary documents as listed in here: http://www.djmelectronics.com/articl...cc-emc-faq.pdf.

Obviously, actions were ongoing and items prepared in advance of the submission. As the Test Report indicates, the final tests were not completed by CETECOM until Mar 19.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    And meanwhile, AAPL hits 157...
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

i have a hard time figuring out why this Walt Mossberg thing (about the iPhone) is any sort of major revelation. Ignoring for a second the 1) reported supply shortages/ unavailability of iPhone in Apple's flagship stores (like NYC), 2) analyst predictions, 3) At&t saying all their smartphones will be 3G about June....

let's just look at the fact that Apple has a DEVELOPER'S CONFERENCE at the same time they are releasing an SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT for their new mobile platform, and it is conveniently a year since they released the original iPhone. They damn well better be releasing a new iPhone at that time, or they stupid (and DOOMED!)

If the new phone is out in July insetad of June, I'm not sure that's going to "doom" the company.....
  • Reply 67 of 82
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Probably some trouble in negotiations, who knows. From what I've heard Apple has used bartering rather than paying to get their products on the screen.

Here is that article: Apple Gets a Big Slice Of Product-Placement Pie
  • Reply 68 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

So what you're saying is, downloading that pr0n in 12 seconds instead of 45 seconds is worth not having a couple acres of land behind your house, and forcing your kids to deal with gritty urban issues (poverty, lack of green spaces etc) rather than having a nice life in the suburbs? I think your priorities are a little whacked...

You evidently watch a lot of TV, so you may be forgiven for believing its depiction of the city as dangerous and ugly, while the suburbs are beautiful and safe... rather than the havens of domestic violence, cultural monotony and stultifying boredom (how's that for stereotyping) that they are in reality...
  • Reply 69 of 82
    I purposefully bought a refurbished 8GB iPhone from the AT&T Store because I was tired of waiting for the 3G iPhone but didn't want to commit to paying $400 for one that wasn't 3G.

It's a great phone and it certainly is far ahead of anything else on the market. Obviously it doesn't have MMS and 3G as well as other stuff. Honestly though, I've had a 3G phone and I have a 3G Laptop card from AT&T and it isn't that fast. It still sucks.

Walt is right, the internet in this country sucks major donkey balls and we get bent over and raped for it. $50 a month for 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up? It should be $20 a month for 250Mbps down and 100Mbps up. Broadband in this country is just too slow to have any viable download or streaming television alternative. I would LOVE to spend only $20 a month and get fast internet and 1080p television on my 60" Pioneer Kuro. Heck, I would spend $50 a month to get every show I watch commercial free and in TrueHD. For a total of $70/month I would still be spending half what I spend now for Verizon Fios internet and TV and then I would get only the stuff I want to watch and when I want to watch it. As long as it was fast enough to download in a reasonable amount of time.

Come home from work, start my TV show downloads, cook dinner (or breakfast depending on what shift I was coming off of) while watching streaming news and by the time I was done cooking dinner I could watch my shows commercial free and then go to bed. When I'm at work, we have HDTV but we don't have a DVR so I can't pause or save a show if we get a fire call in the middle of a good show.

Hell, I record all my shows on DVR and even if I am home when they are on, I wait 20 minutes and then start playing to skip all the stupid and pointless commercials.

But what I don't want is commercials DURING the show. Like what TNT does when they have a new show airing. They even added sound - Which annoys me more.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Shame you lot dont have something like BBC iplayer in the states. Its perfect for iphone/ipod touch.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Shame you lot dont have something like BBC iplayer in the states. Its perfect for iphone/ipod touch.

I hope they are working on a version of iPlayer for Mobile OS X devices. And I hope it works Yankee-side.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I hope they are working on a version of iPlayer for Mobile OS X devices. And I hope it works Yankee-side.

iPlayer does work on the iPhone and Touch. It just doesn't work outside of the UK.

"We started with iPhone because it is the device most optimised for high quality video currently available. It displays the BBC iPlayer site and BBC programmes nicely."

BBC iPlayer On iPhone: Behind The Scenes
  • Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

iPlayer does work on the iPhone and Touch. It just doesn't work outside of the UK.

"We started with iPhone because it is the device most optimised for high quality video currently available. It displays the BBC iPlayer site and BBC programmes nicely."

BBC iPlayer On iPhone: Behind The Scenes

Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GT500Shlby View Post

I purposefully bought a refurbished 8GB iPhone from the AT&T Store because I was tired of waiting for the 3G iPhone but didn't want to commit to paying $400 for one that wasn't 3G.

It's a great phone and it certainly is far ahead of anything else on the market. Obviously it doesn't have MMS and 3G as well as other stuff. Honestly though, I've had a 3G phone and I have a 3G Laptop card from AT&T and it isn't that fast. It still sucks.

Walt is right, the internet in this country sucks major donkey balls and we get bent over and raped for it. $50 a month for 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up? It should be $20 a month for 250Mbps down and 100Mbps up. Broadband in this country is just too slow to have any viable download or streaming television alternative. I would LOVE to spend only $20 a month and get fast internet and 1080p television on my 60" Pioneer Kuro. Heck, I would spend $50 a month to get every show I watch commercial free and in TrueHD. For a total of $70/month I would still be spending half what I spend now for Verizon Fios internet and TV and then I would get only the stuff I want to watch and when I want to watch it. As long as it was fast enough to download in a reasonable amount of time.

Come home from work, start my TV show downloads, cook dinner (or breakfast depending on what shift I was coming off of) while watching streaming news and by the time I was done cooking dinner I could watch my shows commercial free and then go to bed. When I'm at work, we have HDTV but we don't have a DVR so I can't pause or save a show if we get a fire call in the middle of a good show.

Hell, I record all my shows on DVR and even if I am home when they are on, I wait 20 minutes and then start playing to skip all the stupid and pointless commercials.

But what I don't want is commercials DURING the show. Like what TNT does when they have a new show airing. They even added sound - Which annoys me more.

Mossberg is wrong about broadband in Europe vs. US.

The average broadband service in Europe and US are the same --- between 1-2 mbps.

The total number of fiber optics connections in Europe and US are the same --- 12 million connections.

http://ec.europa.eu/commission_barro...s_20080114.pdf

Anyone can point out some isolated area in Europe that has great broadband speed --- but we can also point out some isolated area in the US that has that also.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

So what you're saying is, downloading that pr0n in 12 seconds instead of 45 seconds is worth not having a couple acres of land behind your house, and forcing your kids to deal with gritty urban issues (poverty, lack of green spaces etc) rather than having a nice life in the suburbs? I think your priorities are a little whacked...

You can keep your "nice" life in the suburbs, I've lived it and it's nothing special, you just can't walk to anything. And I don't know what part of the country you live in, but where I am a couple acres are only affordable if you live in the middle of nowhere.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Maybe I worded it wrong. I was actually complimenting iphone when it comes to iplayer. They go hand in hand. :-)
  • Reply 77 of 82
    Mossberg just took back the whole "60 days" thing.

read

http://gizmodo.com/377397/mossberg-t...-60-days-quote
  • Reply 78 of 82
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post

Mossberg just took back the whole "60 days" thing.

read

http://gizmodo.com/377397/mossberg-t...-60-days-quote

I bet Apple legal had a nice chat with him. He potentially cost Apple two months of iPhone sales because of his remarks.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

I bet Apple legal had a nice chat with him. He potentially cost Apple two months of iPhone sales because of his remarks.

Anyone who doesn't absolutely have to have an iPhone right now is waiting for the 3G version anyway. If only to prevent buying the previous generation of technology right before the new version is released.

Besides, unless Mossberg actually had insider info *and* signed an NDA, I don't think Apple's legal team would have a fin to stand on.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    Quote:

Not all of them have to paid for by Apple. Certainly there are characters that would befit an iPhone (like McGee on NCIS) or fans of Apple products that just want to use the products because they like them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I have to respectfully disagree. Given the slide in ad revenues and the increasing importance of product placement to the broadcasters, I'll wager that no recognizable product shows its face on a show without generating some $$ for the network.

Call me cynical.

The iPhone commercial during tonights NCIS is not very telling, but the displaying of a Navy sub on the iPhone whose screen seemed to be purposefully turned to show off the accelerometer re-orientation.