Accidental Delete

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey folks.

I'm fairly new to Macs and I have a question. Is there any way I can retrieve an application that was deleted, the trash bin emptied out. My brother, the idiot that he is, accidentally deleted Garageband. He claims he just dragged it out of the dock and onto the desktop (to get rid of unused apps). I do not believe him. If that was the case then retrieving it would be simple. So is there anyway I can get back Garageband '08.

I purchased an intel iMac before Leopard became pre-installed. So I have the Leopard drop-in dvd.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    If he did just drag it out of the dock, did you check the Applications folder since the Dock icons are just aliases (shortcuts)?

Otherwise it's likely on your system install dvd under the installer for Additional Software or something similarly named. Just pulling from memory here.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    emkuemku Posts: 3member
    Well, I am certain he didn't just drag it out of the dock. Because if he did I would've done just that.

I did insert the Leopard drop-in dvd and I couldn't find anything anywhere about Garageband. There is an Install Mac OS X icon, two folders; one titled Optional Installs and Instructions.

The Optional Installs has a Package Folder which contains some applications: Address Book, iCal, iChat, iTunes, Mail, etc. But no Garageband. Any clue on what to do?

Thank you for your response.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emku View Post

I did insert the Leopard drop-in dvd and I couldn't find anything anywhere about Garageband. There is an Install Mac OS X icon, two folders; one titled Optional Installs and Instructions. The Optional Installs has a Package Folder which contains some applications: Address Book, iCal, iChat, iTunes, Mail, etc. But no Garageband. Any clue on what to do?

As your Mac didn't come with Leopard pre-installed it won't have Garageband '08 on the Leopard install disc. Garageband '08 is part of iLife '08 (free with new Mac's with Leopard, but otherwise sold seperately) and seeing as it wasn't preinstalled indicatea either you've purchased iLife '08 or obtained it some other way. So ask yourself the question - "Where did I get Garageband '08 or iLife '08 from? Because it wasn't on my Mac when I bought it"

OR If you bought a Mac and Leopard wasn't preinstalled but had the Leopard disc in the box then iLife will be on the two grey Mac OS X Install Discs that were in the box too, same procedure, insert grey OS X disc, go to Optional Installs>Bundled Software (or whatever it sez) and the iLife packages should be listed there, check the box for Garageband and proceed as normal
  • Reply 4 of 4
    emkuemku Posts: 3member
    Thank you ActionJaxon.

I got it. I knew I was asking a simple question with a simple solution.

Thanks again!