New Imacs Tues?

12346

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 124
    Quote:

    If it was June



    Well. I had a thought.



    There's ANOTHER 'laptop' cpu bump and motherboard revision circa June.



    Not only THAT, but the next, the TRUE 'next gen' parts from Ati and Nvidia are imminent.



    Ergo? Wouldn't make sense to update the iMac now when those parts are only two months away?



    ie if the iMac was to be updated then it should have been a month or so ago with the Macbook/Macbook Pro.



    Apple may as well hang on for 7 weeks.



    Lord knows that the better GPU and CPU/M/b config' will be worth it?



    It would be a significant upgrade.



    If they can't bring GT class gpu update now? Why bother. Wait until June for Ati's next gen. Plus new processor frequencies upto 3 gig?



    I'd take that. What do you guys thinks?



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 102 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post


    Well. I had a thought.



    There's ANOTHER 'laptop' cpu bump and motherboard revision circa June.



    Not only THAT, but the next, the TRUE 'next gen' parts from Ati and Nvidia are imminent.



    Ergo? Wouldn't make sense to update the iMac now when those parts are only two months away?



    ie if the iMac was to be updated then it should have been a month or so ago with the Macbook/Macbook Pro.



    Apple may as well hang on for 7 weeks.



    Lord knows that the better GPU and CPU/M/b config' will be worth it?



    It would be a significant upgrade.



    If they can't bring GT class gpu update now? Why bother. Wait until June for Ati's next gen. Plus new processor frequencies upto 3 gig?



    I'd take that. What do you guys thinks?



    Lemon Bon Bon.



    I completely agree. I think it's highly unlikely we'll see anythign before June. Suits me, I've waited this long, may as well wait another couple of months.
  • Reply 103 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liquid101 View Post


    I completely agree. I think it's highly unlikely we'll see anythign before June. Suits me, I've waited this long, may as well wait another couple of months.



    Right, I'll spend my money on a new car... or a PS3.... or a TV.... or maybe hire an exotic, dusky maiden to pamper me six ways from Thursday (or whatever the Yankee vernacular is).



    I will NOT buy a new (or refurb'd) iMac. So there - howdya like them Apples, Steverino, eh?
  • Reply 104 of 124
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyleader View Post


    So why are Apple so secretive about their product updates. Why can't they just say XXX product will be updated in XXX.



    Other manufacturers at least give you an idea on updates, but Apple always seem to say quiet until the very last minute..



    Dam annoying ..



    I dont need an exact date, but some idea would be nice ..



    Since Apple doesn't want to tell what product is coming out, why couldn't they say, "On such and such a date, there will be a 'new arrival' "without revealing what it will be.

    That would like knowing that on your birthday, you'll get a present but won't know what it is. At least we could look forward to a specific date.
  • Reply 105 of 124
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pablo Pablo View Post


    Right, I'll spend my money on a new car... or a PS3.... or a TV.... or maybe hire an exotic, dusky maiden to pamper me six ways from Thursday (or whatever the Yankee vernacular is).



    I will NOT buy a new (or refurb'd) iMac. So there - howdya like them Apples, Steverino, eh?



    Haha. (I gotta get me one of them dusky maidens!)

    Well you might not get a new iMac, but I will Steve... I will.



    Jimzip
  • Reply 106 of 124
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post


    Since Apple doesn't want to tell what product is coming out, why couldn't they say, "On such and such a date, there will be a 'new arrival' "without revealing what it will be.

    That would like knowing that on your birthday, you'll get a present but won't know what it is. At least we could look forward to a specific date.



    Because then it'd be pretty easy to guess which line was being upgraded each time.

    Apple prefer for a thriving media buzz and all the rumours keeping their products at the forefront of everyones computing mind
  • Reply 107 of 124
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post


    Haha. (I gotta get me one of them dusky maidens!)

    Well you might not get a new iMac, but I will Steve... I will.



    Jimzip



    Yes, I'll be getting one too....Especially since I am still editing wedding day films on a ....GULP....5-year old flat-panel 1 Ghz iMac 2 maxed out with 1 GB of RAM....
  • Reply 108 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post


    Lord knows that the better GPU and CPU/M/b config' will be worth it?



    It would be a significant upgrade.



    If they can't bring GT class gpu update now? Why bother. Wait until June for Ati's next gen. Plus new processor frequencies upto 3 gig?



    I'd take that. What do you guys thinks?



    Lemon Bon Bon.



    With no iMac now I'd have to agree that they'd be stupid to not to wait for Nehalem if it's going to be in the June timeframe. It seems really weird to have an integrated memory controller in their consumer line before their pro line, but it wouldn't be completely out of character and I'd sure love to get the new architecture rather than the old one.



    I just hope the increased price of CPUs from Intel translates into an excuse to keep prices current, and they don't try to actually raise the price of the higher end models.



    If they go with Nehalem I would expect only the top end to be quad core, and I would hope at least that one model will have a GPU with 512MB of VRAM. It supports DDR3 - but does anyone know how much (for the mobile variant)?
  • Reply 109 of 124
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post


    If they go with Nehalem I would expect only the top end to be quad core, and I would hope at least that one model will have a GPU with 512MB of VRAM. It supports DDR3 - but does anyone know how much (for the mobile variant)?



    I'm not sure about the DDR3 for the mobile variant, but you virtually can be assured that at least one model will come with 512 MB of VRAM.



    As for the 20 inch model, I'd love to see Apple offer an improved screen. The 24 inch screen is gorgeous, but the 20 incher at full brightness seems luridly washed out. Adjusting the screen's brightness only makes the screen darker and more opaque?no help.
  • Reply 110 of 124
    I don't think it's Nehalem based. Those won't arrive until 2009?



    It's another Penryn/laptop derivative chip. Slightly higher chip speed. Slightly higher m/b speed. It's going into the Mac Book Pro. I presume Apple will use it for the next iMac.



    I just think it would be silly to update now when Intel's next 'bump' is weeks away.



    AND the all important GPU updates...which will run cooler and faster?



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 111 of 124
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,804member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post


    I don't think it's Nehalem based. Those won't arrive until 2009?



    Indeed. Desktop Nehalem CPUs are due in the third quarter of calendar 2008, but the iMac uses laptop chips. Nehalem versions of these aren't due until early 2009.



    It's possible Apple are waiting for the Montevina laptop motherboard chipset update before touching the iMac.
  • Reply 112 of 124
    That makes sense. Bummer about Nehalem - I was trying to find a good roadmap and never did find one. That's the switch that will actually give a performance boost. The faster FSB of the Montevina isn't something to turn down, but Santa Rosa vs Penryn is basically a wash unless you're using SSE 4 and that new FSB isn't going to help things a whole lot. Nehalem on the other hand...



    Maybe one way to look at it is that with Nehalem we'd be back to a Rev A product so at least with Penryn we'll be dealing with a machine that has had time to work out the kinks. That's what I'm going to keep telling myself at least.



    Does Nehalem do away with the 4GB RAM limit (even though we're not getting it yet)? That and the GPU are my two biggest hesitations at this point about buying an iMac (the screen running a close third, but with the 24" it's a better panel even if there are people having issues still).



    Edit to add: I wonder if the heat we're saving by moving to Penryn we'll lose by the faster FSB. That could have been one big bonus of the switch - the added headroom for a better GPU.
  • Reply 113 of 124
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post


    That makes sense. Bummer about Nehalem - I was trying to find a good roadmap and never did find one. That's the switch that will actually give a performance boost. The faster FSB of the Montevina isn't something to turn down, but Santa Rosa vs Penryn is basically a wash unless you're using SSE 4 and that new FSB isn't going to help things a whole lot. Nehalem on the other hand...



    Maybe one way to look at it is that with Nehalem we'd be back to a Rev A product so at least with Penryn we'll be dealing with a machine that has had time to work out the kinks. That's what I'm going to keep telling myself at least.



    Does Nehalem do away with the 4GB RAM limit (even though we're not getting it yet)? That and the GPU are my two biggest hesitations at this point about buying an iMac (the screen running a close third, but with the 24" it's a better panel even if there are people having issues still).



    Edit to add: I wonder if the heat we're saving by moving to Penryn we'll lose by the faster FSB. That could have been one big bonus of the switch - the added headroom for a better GPU.



    Q4 2007 Penryn for Workstations/Servers/High-end desktops (MacPro)

    Q1 2008 Penryn for Desktops (except Apple)

    Q2 2008 Penryn for Mobiles Montevina chipset (everything Apple except Mac Pro, MBA)

    Q3 2008 LV/ULV/QC Penryn on Montevina (MacBook Air, high-end iMac?)

    Q4 2008 Nehalem for Workstations/Servers/High-end desktops (MacPro)

    Q1 2009 Nehalem for Desktops (except Apple)

    Q2 2009 Nehalem for Mobiles Calpella chipset (everything Apple except Mac Pro, MBA)

    Q3 2009 LV/ULV Nehalem on Calpella (MacBook Air)

    Q4 2009 32nm Westmere for Workstations/Servers/High-end desktops (MacPro)

    Q1 2010 32nm Westmere for Desktops (except Apple)

    Q2 2010 32nm Westmere for Mobiles (everything Apple except Mac Pro, MBA)

    Q3 2010 LV/ULV 32nm Westmere (MacBook Air)

    Q4 2010 SandyBridge for Workstations/Servers/High-end desktops (MacPro)
  • Reply 114 of 124
    Perhaps our magic date is drawing near??



    They've dropped the refurb prices! Out damn inventory out!





    http://www.otechs.com/blog/
  • Reply 115 of 124
    I want to see signs that the update is imminent as much as the next guy/girl but I am almost 100% sure that the prices on the refurbs have been the same for quite a while. I do not think that those listed currently on the apple site have gone down since I have been watching them.



    The upside to all this speculation and anticipation is the slight bit of excitement I get everyday from reading these rumor threads. I'm starting to side with others who have said we won't see an update until June...such a bummer because every day I look at my VAIO desktop I get sad there isn't a shiny 24" imac sitting there. Good thing I have a MBP to get me through these dark times.



    Cheers!
  • Reply 116 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdmoffitt View Post


    Perhaps our magic date is drawing near??



    They've dropped the refurb prices! Out damn inventory out!





    http://www.otechs.com/blog/



    The refurbs at the Apple store have not changed, they're the same price they have been for the past few weeks.

    No updates till June
  • Reply 117 of 124
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stageron View Post


    The refurbs at the Apple store have not changed, they're the same price they have been for the past few weeks.

    No updates till June



    I'm less concerned with the date of the update than I am with the quality of the 20" screen. If they use a better screen with the next refresh, I'll be more than satisfied.
  • Reply 118 of 124
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slackula View Post


    Yes, I'll be getting one too....Especially since I am still editing wedding day films on a ....GULP....5-year old flat-panel 1 Ghz iMac 2 maxed out with 1 GB of RAM....



    Oh - haha.. It's, um, a classic!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post






    Oh my God, we're having a fire...sale!



    Pure gold!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post


    Actually, Apple does drop the price of the no-longer-current models of its hardware in order to clear inventory. It is called "Fire Sale." When the next iMac/Mac mini (nano) comes out, call up your nearest Apple Store and ask about discounted prices on previous models (that are "old" by merely a day).



    Most of the time, however, the new model released has features/added speed/RAM/HD space, etc. that basically makes it worth the price difference between it and the discounted "older" model.



    Really? The only time I've seen discounted prices in an Apple store was when they were clearing floor models.. (Gots me a G4 powerbook!) I'll have to give my powers of observation a tune-up. Thanks for pointing it out!

    Here's a nice little article for those, like me, who wish to learn more about these elusive 'fire sales'...

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2006/6/30/4500



    Jimzip
  • Reply 119 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stageron View Post


    The refurbs at the Apple store have not changed, they're the same price they have been for the past few weeks.

    No updates till June



    sorry, I'll go whip my fact-checkers. The referenced site posted that just the other day, guess they were aiming for getting some extra hits. We all know if it's on the internet it's true right?
  • Reply 120 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdmoffitt View Post


    sorry, I'll go whip my fact-checkers. The referenced site posted that just the other day, guess they were aiming for getting some extra hits. We all know if it's on the internet it's true right?



    Actually, a Gen-u-ine Apple sales channel sent that out yesterday. My guess is they are trying to drive sales (without the cost of the extra price drop). Authorized Resellers seem to be exhibiting touches of closeout fever, too.
Sign In or Register to comment.