Since Apr 7 2008, strange Firefox failures...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apparently Yahoo! related. After awhile on Yahoo! (I dally with Yahoo! Answers), Firefox at first displays the page sans CSS, then becomes unresponsive to AJAX code on all sites (including Google and MSN).

Eventually (I mean, after a few clicks) even clicks on links fail to respond.

Purging the cache works for awhile. System reboot works for awhile. The symptom returns. (The symptom doesn't appear on Safari.) I removed and re-installed Firefox.

Is it possible that the (noble) Leopard is malware-infected?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Which version of Firefox?

Which version of MacOS X?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    What if any add-ons do you use with firefox?

Do you have any Unsanity Haxies installed? eg. Ape (application Enhancer, Silk, Windowshade etc)

If you are trying to use firefox 3 b5 then it has some issues in this area and shoudl be corrected with the full release.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    Firefox 2.0.0.13 (latest stable) and Leopard 10.5.2, scrupulously maintained brand new MBP, both pieces of software on auto-update. Firefox has several add-ons (like, Googlebar, download manager, weather, FireFTP, Sage, Web developer, colorful tabs,... I would think, relatively harmless stuff)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    I think I will come to my senses and let the much faster and sleeker Safari be my default browser.

I even investigated Camino and Opera, which tied for second. Though much popular software is written SPECIFICALLY for the Firefox audience (and I'll keep a copy around), Firefox just can't beat Safari for sheer performance