Internet slow on new-ish C2D 24" iMac - please help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, this is a really strange problem.

I got my 24" (4gb RAM) iMac on January 15th, and all had been working well until Tuesday of last week. All of a sudden, web pages will stutter upon opening them and sometimes hang for 20-30 seconds before opening. It may sound trivial but when the there we no problems at all and now I have this one, it's pretty signifigant. I go to a handful of sites a day, and at any time in the day I try to visit them, one or more will "stutter" - other times they won't. There is no pattern whatsoever, which makes it frustrating to troubleshoot.

I use a Linksys wireless router, and at first I just figured it was just a problem with either that or my cable modem. I bypassed the router altogether (by unplugging it) and power cycled the modem but the problem still persisted. I called Time Warner to have them check my modem and they said everything looked good but reset it anyway. It came back up but was still doing the same thing. I told them I would work on it more myself and let them know if I wanted them to ship me a new modem but I wanted to make sure that was the problem.

I did some speed tests on it at a couple online speed test sites and it was 1050 - 1073kbps each time, and this is on different nights.

I have run some ping tests in the network utility but I get 0% packet loss on pretty much every site I ping, and once in a while I will get 2% packet loss - no big deal.

I have a WinXP Dell laptop for work, so I reconnected the router and fired that up to test the internet speed on it. Sure enough, no problems whatsoever. In fact, there were times I would load up a page on my iMac and give it a "head start", then TYPE in the url on my Dell laptop, and it would come up almost instantly - and these weren't cached sites either.

I have this problem in both Safari and Firefox and for the life of me can't figure it out. It's pretty obvious to me that I can isolate the problem on my Mac since the laptop has no internet issues whatsoever and the fact that this just randomly started happening. I haven't recently installed any updates or software that could of caused this.

I'm pretty much a newcomer to Apple (even though I grew up on an Apple IIe and B/W macintosh) but I'm a 5 year PC tech with a law firm and work on Windows machines all day so I like to think I know something, heh.

Any help would be much appreciated because I've had to resort to using the WinXP laptop because I can't handle the lack of net speed on the Mac

It reminds me of the dark days of dial-up! So annoying!!! And what may be even more annoying is that it doesn't happen everytime I open a page - sometimes I can go to a site, it opens fine, but then I go to it again 1 minute later and it hangs. Also, a lot of time I can "stop" the problem if I stop the page from loading, then reload it. Then it will open up fine.

Here's a screenshot of the problem - picture this screen for 20-30 seconds while a page opens up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

Ok, this is a really strange problem.

I got my 24" (4gb RAM) iMac on January 15th, and all had been working well until Tuesday of last week. All of a sudden, web pages will stutter upon opening them and sometimes hang for 20-30 seconds before opening. It may sound trivial but when the there we no problems at all and now I have this one, it's pretty signifigant. I go to a handful of sites a day, and at any time in the day I try to visit them, one or more will "stutter" - other times they won't. There is no pattern whatsoever, which makes it frustrating to troubleshoot.

I use a Linksys wireless router, and at first I just figured it was just a problem with either that or my cable modem. I bypassed the router altogether (by unplugging it) and power cycled the modem but the problem still persisted. I called Time Warner to have them check my modem and they said everything looked good but reset it anyway. It came back up but was still doing the same thing. I told them I would work on it more myself and let them know if I wanted them to ship me a new modem but I wanted to make sure that was the problem.

I did some speed tests on it at a couple online speed test sites and it was 1050 - 1073kbps each time, and this is on different nights.

I have run some ping tests in the network utility but I get 0% packet loss on pretty much every site I ping, and once in a while I will get 2% packet loss - no big deal.

I have a WinXP Dell laptop for work, so I reconnected the router and fired that up to test the internet speed on it. Sure enough, no problems whatsoever. In fact, there were times I would load up a page on my iMac and give it a "head start", then TYPE in the url on my Dell laptop, and it would come up almost instantly - and these weren't cached sites either.

I have this problem in both Safari and Firefox and for the life of me can't figure it out. It's pretty obvious to me that I can isolate the problem on my Mac since the laptop has no internet issues whatsoever and the fact that this just randomly started happening. I haven't recently installed any updates or software that could of caused this.

I'm pretty much a newcomer to Apple (even though I grew up on an Apple IIe and B/W macintosh) but I'm a 5 year PC tech with a law firm and work on Windows machines all day so I like to think I know something, heh.

Any help would be much appreciated because I've had to resort to using the WinXP laptop because I can't handle the lack of net speed on the Mac

It reminds me of the dark days of dial-up! So annoying!!! And what may be even more annoying is that it doesn't happen everytime I open a page - sometimes I can go to a site, it opens fine, but then I go to it again 1 minute later and it hangs. Also, a lot of time I can "stop" the problem if I stop the page from loading, then reload it. Then it will open up fine.

Here's a screenshot of the problem - picture this screen for 20-30 seconds while a page opens up.

Has anyone ever responded to your problem? I seem to have a similar issue, although I don't get a flutter. My internet connection with my intel duo core iMac has never been fast, but it seems to have slowed down considerably. Yesterday, I lost my internet connection, and worked with Comcast (it wasn't their equipment) and Apple Care for hours and finally could access the net and my email; however, the speed is non-existent. Today, it is taking 2 minutes and longer to download a web site, such as the Chicago Tribune. Like you, I have a broadband modem and a Linksys router -- both have tested out fine. Also, like you, I have a 5-year-old PC (Dell) attached to the router, and the speed on the Dell is great. I have a Comcast technician coming out Friday, but I suspect the problem resides with the iMac. Any help would be appreciated.

Payton
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Payton34 View Post

Has anyone ever responded to your problem? I seem to have a similar issue, although I don't get a flutter. My internet connection with my intel duo core iMac has never been fast, but it seems to have slowed down considerably. Yesterday, I lost my internet connection, and worked with Comcast (it wasn't their equipment) and Apple Care for hours and finally could access the net and my email; however, the speed is non-existent. Today, it is taking 2 minutes and longer to download a web site, such as the Chicago Tribune. Like you, I have a broadband modem and a Linksys router -- both have tested out fine. Also, like you, I have a 5-year-old PC (Dell) attached to the router, and the speed on the Dell is great. I have a Comcast technician coming out Friday, but I suspect the problem resides with the iMac. Any help would be appreciated.

Payton

Did you ever figure this out? I had a Mac tech come to my home to tutor me on my first mac, the imac, and he secured my wireless network. all seemed to be running fine,then two hours later, I am in snail-land. My HP PC is working fine. I called both cable company and Belkin and confirmed both were working right. I now have a call into my mac tech guy....I was wondering if mac and pc are having a tough time living under the same roof, or if it the secure set-up ......
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I have exactly the same problem!!!!!!

So frustrating. I use a BT Homehub. Windows PC and xbox work fine and fast ALL the time. Imac starts to load pages then stops, then works super fast for few minutes, then stops again.

No one seems to know the answer. It's 100% a problem with the mac, not router. My PDA, xbox, PC all connect fine. Crazy, baby!

I thought it was Time Capsule messing it up, and when Aplle told me they didn't have a clue I smashed the TC into 100 pieces, felt good, reinstalled the imac, complete reinstalled everything, and still the same problem.

I might smash the imac now.

:-(
  • Reply 4 of 5
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Half a dozen replies with a post count of 1?

Anyway, try a traceroute to the website you are having trouble with and post the results from the Mac and Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    same problem with bthomehub. Checked download and upload, all fine, tried opendns, nada. this is on all websites so if l did what talksense said ~i would be up all night. as i have just bought this imac, on 19 january, of course `i am going to have only one post history, as would probably all those on this site. as i get into it and can help i will but am still a mac numpty at present. It looks like a problem noone can answer at the moment.