Mac Pro Crashing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My Mac Pro is crashing a lot. Sometimes the screen goes entirely black (except for the backlight), and will continue to play music that's playing. There is no way to get it out of this except force the computer to shut off by holding the power button. Other times the freeze occurs with the screen still on. If there is music playing in iTunes, it keeps playing, but there is no possible way to get around the crash. Usually the cursor will also move, but I can't click on anything or switch applications. The force quite command also doesn't work. When the computer restarts after a crash, the GPU fan seems to be making an awful lot of noise... and it's sort of raspy.

What do you think is causing the problem?

– Software?

– Firmware?

– GPU?

- RAM?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Back up everything immediately.

Try resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) to see if that helps:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304123

Do you have the Apple Hardware test CD/DVD? It supposedly is on the install discs.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303081

That can quickly eliminate hardware errors. Then you might want to re-install (archive and install). A pain, I know, but less than a continuation of the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Back up everything immediately.

Try resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) to see if that helps:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304123

Do you have the Apple Hardware test CD/DVD? It supposedly is on the install discs.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303081

That can quickly eliminate hardware errors. Then you might want to re-install (archive and install). A pain, I know, but less than a continuation of the problem.

On the plus side, I've been using Time Machine to a G-Safe since October.

I've done every test except surface scan with TechTool Deluxe (comes with AppleCare) and it reports no errors, but I guess I'll try the other hardware diagnosis test you mentioned above. I'll let you know if I figure anything out from the tests.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    OK ? I did the diagnosis tests (extended) and it gave no errors. I also reset the PRAM and SMC. I guess I'll see if it crashes again.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Even after trying the things I mentioned above, my Mac Pro crashed again, this time the screen went black except for the backlight, the music started skipping for a few seconds, and then the computer (unusually) automatically shut down and restarted. Usually, I have to force shut down in order to get it unfrozen. Should I contact Apple support or would a clean install help?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    If you have a full backup, try wiping the internal HD and reinstalling Leopard. Set up a test user, run the machine for a little bit, and see if it continues. Then try restoring your data. Sometimes, all you need is a fresh install of Mac OS X. My iMac had a few issues not waking from sleep and the fans running high during, but an archive and reinstall of Leopard took care of that.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

If you have a full backup, try wiping the internal HD and reinstalling Leopard. Set up a test user, run the machine for a little bit, and see if it continues. Then try restoring your data. Sometimes, all you need is a fresh install of Mac OS X. My iMac had a few issues not waking from sleep and the fans running high during, but an archive and reinstall of Leopard took care of that.

It just happened again moments ago. This time screen went start-up gray and I had to force shut down. I've been hoping to avoid clean install since I'm really busy, but I may have to.

Also one more problem I've had for a while that's very annoying but I've mostly just been ignoring:

I've been getting multicolored horizontal lines stuck on the screen in one app. The lines aren't specific to any app -- they appear to happen in about every app -- but each line only extends on the windows of one app. I'll post a screenshot when it happens next.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

It just happened again moments ago. This time screen went start-up gray and I had to force shut down. I've been hoping to avoid clean install since I'm really busy, but I may have to.

Also one more problem I've had for a while that's very annoying but I've mostly just been ignoring:

I've been getting multicolored horizontal lines stuck on the screen in one app. The lines aren't specific to any app -- they appear to happen in about every app -- but each line only extends on the windows of one app. I'll post a screenshot when it happens next.

The symptoms you describe point to a faulty graphics card. If your Mac Pro is under warranty, you should contact Apple. Maybe you can send them also a picture of the screen when you see those lines.

In case that you are out of warranty, you can try and re-seat the graphics card in its slot, or move it to a compatible slot if your Mac has one. If it still doesn't work, you'll probably need a new card.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berlepsch View Post

The symptoms you describe point to a faulty graphics card. If your Mac Pro is under warranty, you should contact Apple. Maybe you can send them also a picture of the screen when you see those lines.

In case that you are out of warranty, you can try and re-seat the graphics card in its slot, or move it to a compatible slot if your Mac has one. If it still doesn't work, you'll probably need a new card.

Luckily I have AppleCare and it is still under warrantee. I was thinking it was the graphics card at first, but no one except you seemed to mention that as a possible problem.
  • Reply 9 of 9