Apple ships updates for MacBook Air, Final Cut Studio

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday evening issued a firmware update for the MacBook Air and also released a significant update for its Pro applications focused on new camera support.

MacBook Air Bluetooth Firmware Update 1.0

Although the company did not indicate the issues addressed by the MacBook Air's Bluetooth firmware update [1.2MB], it said the software should be installed on every one of the ultra-thin notebooks.

The update should appear for users in the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism and install automatically once approved for download. However, Apple also offers these instructions for downloading and installing the software manually.

ProÂ*ApplicationsÂ*Update 2008-01

Meanwhile, ProÂ*ApplicationsÂ*Update 2008-01 [63.7MB] is a revision to FinalÂ*CutÂ*Studio 2.0 focused on new camera support.

The update includes FinalÂ*CutÂ*Pro 6.0.3, Compressor 3.0.3, AppleÂ*HDVÂ*Codec 1.4, PluginManager 1.7.3, and a cumulative update of shared technology components from Pro Applications Update 2007-01 forward.

In particular, FinalÂ*CutÂ*Pro 6.0.3 delivers support for editing media in the XDCAMÂ*HD422 format. After applying the update, users can choose from the following XDCAMÂ*HD422 Easy Setups: XDCAM HD422 1080i50 CBR, XDCAM HD422 1080i60 CBR, XDCAM HD422 1080p24 CBR, XDCAM HD422 1080p25 CBR, XDCAM HD422 1080p30 CBR, XDCAM HD422 720p50 CBR, and XDCAM HD422 720p60 CBR.

It also addresses issues with opening projects and exporting stills with the correct aspect ratio under FinalÂ*CutÂ*Pro 6.0.2, and allows for placement of generator clips in FXScript filter clip wells.

Meanwhile, Compressor 3.0.3 now includes options to create media files for AppleÂ*TV with anamorphic (non-square) pixel aspect ratios. The pixels are scaled by AppleÂ*TV to fit the intended aspect ratio during playback, Apple said.

Also in the new version of Compressor, the H.264 for Apple Devices Encoder pane has a checkbox that allows users to include Dolby Digital Professional (AC-3) tracks (with 5.1-channel surround sound) in output media files intended for AppleÂ*TV playback.

Additionally, ProÂ*ApplicationsÂ*Update 2008-01 includes AppleÂ*HDVÂ*CodecÂ*1.4, which provides 4:2:2 support in FinalÂ*CutÂ*Pro, and PluginManager 1.7.3, which includes a one-off fix for a backward-compatibility issue in which 1.7.x breaks temporal FxPlug plug-ins in FinalÂ*CutÂ*Pro 5.1.4.

A complete set of release notes are available here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The BT update showed up in my Software Update, but when downloaded it said (on the first, automatic run, and a second manual run) that my firmware was already up to date. That came up instantly with no delay or restart.

Maybe the EFI firmware update I did last night also included this? But this one did still show in my Software Update this morning.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Still no mention of specific AVCHD support. I know it's supported, but the exact flavors in terms of resolution, framerate , frame encoding type (i/p/f) are not stated anywhere that I can find.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Nice to see some tweaks, but they really need to update some of those apps, especially STP and Logic.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I haven't yet updated to FCS 2.0, but I'm really interested the most in the Soundtrack and Motion revisions. Also interested to see greater RED integration w/ FCP.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    This is exceptionally good news for those who have purchased (or will soon) the exciting new Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM. This cam is flying off the shelves as fast as Sony can get it out the CineAlta factory doors, and signals a very rapid and cost-effective move to HD as mainstream over SD.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    great to see the new work of FCS 6. I love this program but we still lack one major piece.

Blu-ray support.

This should be part of the next upgrade. I pray that it will be.

DVD Studio Pro is a great piece of work but ever since HD-DVD went down I have been talking and begging in the Apple stores about this need.

back months ago on the discussion forum apple removed a post that got through because I shifted off topic to this.

I LOVE apple and have been an incredibly loyal and dedicated user. But when Apple joined the board of Blu-ray I invested in equipment including a burner.Toast 9 has the support in place.We have been shooting HD for what now seems like forever, and I CANT WAIT TO BLOW PEOPLES MINDS with the beautiful Natural History Footage our group films and the 5-6- or even 7.1 Surround we are capable of producing. (Obviously that is one spec we have not firmly decided upon) One of the top sound guys in the World Greg Budney will be here net month or early June to hammer this out.

Please help us get it there Apple !!!

I dont ever want to by one of those other machines to do business....

Birdman - HD