zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmon750 View Post

10g

7.3TB racetrack memory

Neural "Handsfree" Interface

Will play Crysis at 170fps

Makes coffee in the morning

Might let them get lucky with a human female...

You forgot to mention that it needs to run Windows 7 too.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:

Great!

Give the whiners something else to add to their list of things the iPhone has to have before they would even consider EVER purchasing an iPhone: ....

Oh... and it has to be available in Canada..

Hey, don't ridicule our poor friends to the north. They deserve an official unlimited- data iPhone as much as anyone in the USA or Europe. Besides, they have Vancouver BC, which is like a much-improved, cleaner, prettier, friendlier, and more progressive Seattle.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Oh great... another IBM promise, whatever!
  • Reply 24 of 46
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    "Within the next 10 years" vs "in 10 years"...

In 10 years I guess NAND flash memories will be 10 fold and this won't seem immediately fantastic when it comes out. But everything that has 3D and micro electronics mentioned in the same sentence gotta be good, right? I wonder what Apple would say if they announced products 10 years in advance...
  • Reply 25 of 46
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Haha. I just rode my mountain bike by there today at lunchtime. I didn't see anything going on from the outside that would indicate that miraculous things are happening in this standard looking office complex nestled in the hills south of San Jose.

(I'm just carping on people who visit Silicon Valley--especially the Apple campus--and expect to see dollar bills floating in the air, engineers jumping from branch to branch in trees, rainbows sprouting from office doors, VCs running around in BMWs handing out cash at the Jack in the Box drive-thrus.)

Invariably, they return home and report to their friends that "Silicon Valley sucks, it's just a bunch of buildings." Honestly, what does one expect?

Go ahead: Chime in with your response of what you would expect to see in a place dubbed Silicon Valley.

Great story!
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

You forgot to mention that it needs to run Windows 7 too.

Right... Running Crysis at 170fps is far more obtainable that trying to run Windows 7. You need to have realistic expectations buddy...
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThunkDifferent.com View Post

This is cool news, I guess well have wikipesia in our pocket soon! (as if we don't already!)

http://collison.ie/wikipedia-iphone/

Ba dum pish!

It's great, rarely crashes too
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

Great!

Give the whiners something else to add to their list of things the iPhone has to have before they would even consider EVER purchasing an iPhone:

10g

7.3TB racetrack memory

Neural "Handsfree" Interface

Will play Crysis at 170fps

Makes coffee in the morning

Might let them get lucky with a human female...

yeah yeah, no problem

Quote:

Oh... and it has to be available in Canada..

OH for goodness sake thats just SO unrealistic in a ten year time frame!
  • Reply 29 of 46
    estebanesteban Posts: 85member
    Either you're staved for click-throughs or you're trying to pump your Apple stock so that you can cash out before the market collapse. I feel ripped off by the headline; there are any number of "in the next 10 years" technologies that would have fit the topic but would have been equally misleading. As if ten years from now we wouldn't expect a tenfold increase.

I went from a desktop to a laptop in about 5 years and got a 20-fold increase.

You're a little late for April fool's day.

• Reply 30 of 46
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    The problem is when we read this sort of future tech you can at least double their estimate of availability.

We have been saying OLED for nearly a decade and yet we are still no where near being mass produced.

So RaceTrack, or PRAM... what ever.... will properly be another 10 + years....
  • Reply 31 of 46
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    In the next 10 years, storage will have increased tenfold anyway. This 'new' idea isn't so hot.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

In the next 10 years, storage will have increased tenfold anyway. This 'new' idea isn't so hot.

And this IBM technology is HOW it will be done, dingus.

As for this story... I guess AppleInsider is trying to get the inside scoop... ten years in advance. Real useful. I bet the iPhone won't even exist at that point.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    wow, that's an extremely speculative article title.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    hey guys I was just gonna upgrade my iThingy but now I wonder should I hold out for the racetracks?

/sarcasm
  • Reply 35 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mania View Post

hey guys I was just gonna upgrade my iThingy but now I wonder should I hold out for the racetracks?

/sarcasm

If you really like racetracks, go to a NASCAR event.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Massive storage sounds good. However, currently massive storage will face problems on content management/access, processors speed, etc. Within the next ten years, other advances in technology will make this technology viable.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    The timeframe is a little disappointing ... but it still is a very neat future. Though, 10 years in a digital age is a very long time, something will probably replace it by the time it is ready for a debut. Everyone is saying iPhone and iPods ... But what about notebooks?? That is where I think this kind of technology really could help more so that on an iPod or iPhone. Ultra low power consumption, high data transfer and write rates ... very good combinations for a notebook. It'd be better than an SSD drive and probably a lot smaller. If IBM hopes it to work, they better step up their efforts and bring it within 4-6 years max, otherwise, it might be doomed for replacement by another company.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Check out the googles ads that this story attracted:

1: Military Armor Protection

New functional composite nanofibers

Conference May 20-21, Alexandria

2: Wafer Carriers

Wafer handling solutions

Moving wafers around the world

3: Windows Mobile Games

Guitar Hero, Call of Duty and more

for Windows Mobile at Winplay.com

I can't decide which would be fun to learn about, the military use of composite nanofibers or "moving wafers around the world." I bet this story generates a TON of click-thrus for both.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

The timeframe is a little disappointing ... but it still is a very neat future. Though, 10 years in a digital age is a very long time, something will probably replace it by the time it is ready for a debut. Everyone is saying iPhone and iPods ... But what about notebooks?? That is where I think this kind of technology really could help more so that on an iPod or iPhone. Ultra low power consumption, high data transfer and write rates ... very good combinations for a notebook. It'd be better than an SSD drive and probably a lot smaller. If IBM hopes it to work, they better step up their efforts and bring it within 4-6 years max, otherwise, it might be doomed for replacement by another company.

I wonder if it means 10x as much memory per memory cell. Then that would be interesting. I really don't understand the concept though.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    q-chanq-chan Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Here you go:

Racetrack memory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racetrack_memory

The wikipedia article confirmed what my first thought was, seeing the Thread headline... It is indeed a refresh of the Bubble Memory concept, which had chips available in the late 70-ies. Given the fact that the idea was born in the 60-ies, first chips available about 10 years later, and now we have 2008, the 10-year estimate is probably accurate.

Manfred (a.k. a. Q-chan)