An all-new MacBook Pro is coming

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I don't mean to pick nits, but I don't understand how you come to such a conclusion.

The features of the Montevina platform, as I understand them, include higher clockspeeds, increased FSB, support for the new Intel IG and support for WiMax. I don't see anything about physically smaller chipsets and CPUs.

Now I'm not saying that the new Montevina platform isn't going to be good. But I expect that the improvements will be similar to the improvements seen when Santa Rosa replaced the original Napa platform. Good but not great.

There are, but people seem to be confused about that. the small package process initiated with the cpu/chipset in the MB Air, will be officially available with Montevina. Some cpus will be available in small package form, and a small package chipset will also be available. Like you can see in the table below the parts with S (SP, SL, SU) will use the small package process, but those are not intended for computers like the MacBook Pro (or the iMac), those are slower, less power hungry models for thin notebooks/devices. In addition, those S parts will be available in Q3 (not in june) and it looks like the launch will be likely september.

I believe that:

- the MacBook Pro will use the T9400/9600 cpus, PM45 chipset (june/july)

- the MacBook and the Mac mini will use the P8400/8600 cpus, GM45/47 chipset (june/july)

- the iMac will use P8400/T9400 and X9100 or QX9300 cpus, PM45 chipset (september)

- the MacBook Air will use SL9300/9400 cpus, GS45 chipset (september)

• Reply 42 of 50
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

There are, but people seem to be confused about that. the small package process initiated with the cpu/chipset in the MB Air, will be officially available with Montevina. Some cpus will be available in small package form, and a small package chipset will also be available. Like you can see in the table below the parts with S (SP, SL, SU) will use the small package process, but those are not intended for computers like the MacBook Pro (or the iMac), those are slower, less power hungry models for thin notebooks/devices. In addition, those S parts will be available in Q3 (not in june) and it looks like the launch will be likely september.

I believe that:

- the MacBook Pro will use the T9400/9600 cpus, PM45 chipset (june/july)

- the MacBook and the Mac mini will use the P8400/8600 cpus, GM45/47 chipset (june/july)

- the iMac will use P8400/T9400 and X9100 or QX9300 cpus, PM45 chipset (september)

- the MacBook Air will use SL9300/9400 cpus, GS45 chipset (september)

I stand corrected.

Your analysis makes a lot of sense. But as you point out the CPUs that we are likely to see in the MBP really have the same footprint as the SR penryns that are available now.

I'm not saying that the MBP won't be redesigned. Obviously it will be at some point, but I don't see a radical change in it's form factor. The only way that can be achieved at this point is by dropping things like optical drive and firewire/usbs ports. I don't think its feasible at his point to do that with the MBP or MB. That's MBA territory.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

I stand corrected.

Your analysis makes a lot of sense. But as you point out the CPUs that we are likely to see in the MBP really have the same footprint as the SR penryns that are available now.

I'm not saying that the MBP won't be redesigned. Obviously it will be at some point, but I don't see a radical change in it's form factor. The only way that can be achieved at this point is by dropping things like optical drive and firewire/usbs ports. I don't think its feasible at his point to do that with the MBP or MB. That's MBA territory.

I don't see a radical change neither. My previous post was directed to Tailpipe as well as to you.

The smaller/more power efficient cpus/chipset, are not intended to the MBP that should stay a powerful notebook. Certainly Apple can shave a couple of millimeters here and there but not much (size of the optical drive, cooling of 35W cpus, chipset and dedicated GPU). It is not because Montavina has some smaller parts that all montevina parts are smaller and more power efficient.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    One of the principal packaging benefits offered by Centrino 2 is a chipset that runs less hot, reducing the need for extensive cooling components - something which is an issue even in the MBA. Motherboard aside, the other packaging constraint is also the depth of the DVD drive. Incremental reductions in chipset component designs since the current MBP was introduced at the beginning of 2006, means that there is considerable scope for enclosure size reduction.

Leaving aside packaging issues, the current MBP design is now somewhat dated. It is the only computer in Apple's line-up that doesn't have the new keyboard system. If you've tried this with either the MBA or iMac, then you'll realise that the flatter keys are a step-up. So it is high time that Apple incorporated this into the MBP. In a world where competitors have refined their designs to lose weight and reduce physical footprints, the MBP is ripe for a redesign.

However, a new enclosure for the MBP is unlikley to be a radical departure from the existing design. Think evolution not revolution. But shaving off a few millimetres in terms of thickness and footprint area will result in a worthwhile weight reduction. This is important.

As i said elsewhere, i thought a new MBP was coming in January with the die-shrink to 45 nm Penryns. The advent of the full Centrino 2 chipset with all of its extra functionality makes more sense. This arrives in June. The other good reason to delay a new MBP was to give the MBA time to establish itself.

With MBA sales growing nicely and Centrino 2 on the way and June/ July launch ahead of the back-to-college buying season means that the stars are all aligning for a new MBP launch before September.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

for enterprise use the mackbook pro is very unsettling. it's almost laughable in certain businesses to pull out your macbook pro with that damn huge glowing apple logo on the back.

Huh? So a Dell logo of the same size is less laughable? Or huge letters spelling "VAIO" on the back of a Sony? The Apple logo is silent, subtle, and gets the point across. Besides, if the suits have work to do, why does anyone care what the brand on the lid of the laptop says?
  • Reply 46 of 50
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

One of the principal packaging benefits offered by Centrino 2 is a chipset that runs less hot, reducing the need for extensive cooling components - something which is an issue even in the MBA.

AFAIK, the centrino 2 chipset isn't going to run any cooler than the penryn SR chipset we currently have. It will run cooler than the old merom SR chipsets. But they had the older 65 nm chips in them.

I do think that the MBP is due for a facelift but I just don't believe it will be radical and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it isn't any thinner or lighter than the current models. The current MBP is already thinner and lighter than comparable Dell or HP models. Making it thinner and lighter only blurs the distinction between it and the MBA and makes the MBA less appealing.

I think the MBP will change 'radically' in about two years when Apple is the first manufacturer to offer laptops without optical drives.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Quote:

AFAIK, the centrino 2 chipset isn't going to run any cooler than the penryn SR chipset we currently have. It will run cooler than the old merom SR chipsets. But they had the older 65 nm chips in them.

I do think that the MBP is due for a facelift but I just don't believe it will be radical and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it isn't any thinner or lighter than the current models. The current MBP is already thinner and lighter than comparable Dell or HP models. Making it thinner and lighter only blurs the distinction between it and the MBA and makes the MBA less appealing.

I think the MBP will change 'radically' in about two years when Apple is the first manufacturer to offer laptops without optical drives.

I don't see a $2000 + laptop dropping optical any time soon they may even have blue ray drivers by them. Apple may make it slide out like other laptops so you can put a 2th battery in it or a 2th HD or some other thing in there.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Quote:

Huh? So a Dell logo of the same size is less laughable? Or huge letters spelling "VAIO" on the back of a Sony? The Apple logo is silent, subtle, and gets the point across. Besides, if the suits have work to do, why does anyone care what the brand on the lid of the laptop says?

You said it . I support you!.

Quote:

I don't see a $2000 + laptop dropping optical any time soon they may even have blue ray drivers by them. Apple may make it slide out like other laptops so you can put a 2th battery in it or a 2th HD or some other thing in there.

Yeah I agree with you but I dont agree with the slide out optical drives, it will make a Apple laptop look like other laptop which Apple just wont do unless they found a solution to make it sleek and up to their design standard.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    I would like to see any re-design incorporate a new hinge design, the current MBP is very poorly designed. When I am standing up for instance and the MBP is sitting on my desk the screen does not fold back far enough for me to see clearly. Same as when using in awkward positions such as on a plane and so forth. My Dell I use for work has a screen that can open back fully and is excellent.

I would really love for Apple to bring out an ultra-portable notebook at some point, an 11 or 12" screen size would be brilliant and I would buy one right away, this would compliment by MBP perfectly. I have stopped taking my MBP away with me now and just reply on my 12" Dell for all my needs. That is the perfect notebook to be honest, it may be thick not the thickness does not matter when it comes down to portability, it is all about the screen size. This is where Apple have not quite got it right with the Air, no matter how much I love my MBP it does not come close to the Dell when taking practicality into consideration, a sub-notebook companion for traveling would be perfect - come on Apple!!!
  • Reply 50 of 50
    hookhook Posts: 42member
    What are the odds we see something along these lines this summer?

http://www.macnn.com/blogs/?p=480

Personally, a macbook pro with this kind of docking station/display would be perfect for me.