New Apple Cinema Display?

Comments

• Reply 161 of 193
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Stopped in to Costco today and saw an Acer 24" widescreen LCD display for CDN$399.

Specs were 1920X1200, brightness 400cd/m2, response 2ms.

It also had DVI/HDMI and a 3 year limited warranty.

Apple's 23" display is still listed in the Canadian Apple Store at $1049.

It's little wonder that Macs are viewed as overpriced by the general population.
  • Reply 162 of 193
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    One of the main reasons for the price difference is down to the quality of the colour reproduction on the screen.

As previously discussed, this is a good argument for the two-tier Apple display product idea - A Pro range using 8-bit or above screens, and a consumer 6-bit TN LCD range.
  • Reply 163 of 193
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Rather than go on the "Apple's overpriced" route, it would make sense to delve into why the Apple Cinema Display is more expensive. As I understand it, there are three LCD "types". TN (inexpensive), PVA (better), IPS (best). I think if Apple marketed their displays by showing these differences, how they are using the best LCD out there in terms of color accuracy and viewing angle, and why these things set them apart from the competition, maybe they could justify the price they charge. However, it also seems to reason that Apple's shooting themselves in the foot by continually leaving the line stagnant. Sure, they could be waiting for LED-backlighting, but seriously, does it all have to be LED all-at-once?
  • Reply 164 of 193
    Yeah, I don't expect Apple to match the Acer's price, but that a mighty big margin between them.

I agree that Apple's decision to push one display line to both consumers and pros is the problem here.

For those that champion the Mac minitower, this is another problem with the concept to consider.

Is Apple going to create two display lines? Otherwise, it will just create more pricing complaints.
  • Reply 165 of 193
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    C'mon Apple!

Innovate and give us some new Cinema Displays.

See what HP's up to:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...hp.dreamcolor/
  • Reply 166 of 193
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

C'mon Apple!

Innovate and give us some new Cinema Displays.

See what HP's up to:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...hp.dreamcolor/

30-bit color?!?!?!?!!?!?!!? sorry but that is mind blowing. billions of colors? can't the human eye only see about 10 million?
  • Reply 167 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by looksthatkill View Post

I wanna' see two lines of display;

20" Apple Home Display
    • Glossy 1680x1050,

• 3x USB, IR Receiver, iSight Webcam, SD card reader

24" Apple Home Display
    • Glossy 1920x1200,

• 3x USB, IR Receiver, iSight Webcam, SD card reader

24" Apple Studio Display
    • Matte 1920x1200 LED,

• 4x USB, 1x FW400, 1x FW800, DisplayPort, IR Receiver, iSight, component, HDMI, S-Video, 9 in 2 media card reader

30" Apple Studio Display
    • Matte 2560x1600 LED,

• 4x USB, 1x FW400, 1x FW800, DisplayPort, IR Receiver, iSight, component, HDMI, S-Video, 9 in 2 media card reader

Why remove iSights from the Studio displays? I'd make the above changes ^^^
  • Reply 168 of 193
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

30-bit color?!?!?!?!!?!?!!? sorry but that is mind blowing. billions of colors? can't the human eye only see about 10 million?

10bit Red

10bit Green

10bit Blue.

30 Bit Color.
  • Reply 169 of 193
    30 bit, LED backlit? It'll be pricey.
  • Reply 170 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

30 bit, LED backlit? It'll be pricey.

http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/sx2461w/index.asp

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

\t

Wide Color Gamut

The FlexScan SX2461W reproduces 95% of the Adobe RGB color space so it can display most colors in a photograph taken in Adobe RGB mode. Furthermore, it has an sRGB mode to accurately reproduce this narrower but commonly used color space. This ensures that colors meant for sRGB such as those used on web pages and any photos taken with a digital camera?s sRGB mode will be reproduced on the screen as intended.

12-Bit Gamma, 16-Bit Internal Processing

Comes quipped with EIZO?s latest integrated circuit which has a 12-bit look-up table with a color palette of 68 billion colors from which the most appropriate 16.7 million (8-bits) are displayed. It also features 16-bit internal processing for smooth display of grayscale tones, especially in dark areas of an image which typically are difficult for LCD monitors to display without banding.

24" SX2461W

CDW Pricing befor Tax:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...px?EDC=1436334

$1,479.99

30" SX3031W-BK

CDW Pricing befor Tax:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...px?EDC=1375944

$3,339.99
  • Reply 171 of 193
    It is surprising that HP/Dreamworks has been able to take the lead in a product category that should have been first tackled by Apple/Pixar.

Apple must be too busy with that music player business to remember that graphic design is one of the staples of their computer platform.
  • Reply 172 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It is surprising that HP/Dreamworks has been able to take the lead in a product category that should have been first tackled by Apple/Pixar.

Apple must be too busy with that music player business to remember that graphic design is one of the staples of their computer platform.

Seeing how nothing in that article is about proving or even bothering to "take the lead" I don't see Apple being too concerned.

HP doesn't make the panels and neither does Dreamworks. They rely on the small click of companies that do and that I have been following, most of them are selling inferior quality monitor panels instead of advancing the technologies and making improvements in quality and delivering more affordable solutions, combined.

Samsung, Philips [spinning off LG], Hitachi and more are flooding the market with crappy LCD panels.

We aren't getting better solutions. We are getting cheaper knockoffs.

Eizo offers top quality displays and you pay through the ass for them.
  • Reply 173 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Seeing how nothing in that article is about proving or even bothering to "take the lead" I don't see Apple being too concerned.

HP doesn't make the panels and neither does Dreamworks. They rely on the small click of companies that do and that I have been following, most of them are selling inferior quality monitor panels instead of advancing the technologies and making improvements in quality and delivering more affordable solutions, combined.

Samsung, Philips [spinning off LG], Hitachi and more are flooding the market with crappy LCD panels.

But isn't accurate colour reproduction primarily a software issue?

It sounds to me like HP/Dreamworks is developing an LCD-based framework for managing colour like ColorSync.

Given Apple's penchant for leading in this area, it's surprising that this didn't come from them first.
  • Reply 174 of 193
    @mdriftmeyer: I stand corrected!

Edit: Scratch that. Are those even LED backlit?
  • Reply 175 of 193
    http://www.prad.de/en/news/shownews_tft1389.html

Quote:

Acer has introduced two LCD monitors with LED backlights at CeBIT in the form of the AL1917L and AL2216WLsd. The monitors are available from now for ? 369.00 and ? 469.00 (RRPs).

Acer?

/points at Apple and laughs
  • Reply 176 of 193
    Hello everybody,

I was just wondering if I should buy a new Apple Cinema Display, or wait an see if they announce any new displays at the coming WWDC this coming June.

What do you guys think?, any chance Apple will have finally roll out new displays?.

• Reply 177 of 193
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by birdwings View Post

Hello everybody,

I was just wondering if I should buy a new Apple Cinema Display, or wait an see if they announce any new displays at the coming WWDC this coming June.

What do you guys think?, any chance Apple will have finally roll out new displays?.

I don't believe they can wait til next year to announce, I believe you'll see something within the next 4 months
  • Reply 178 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

I don't believe they can wait til next year to announce, I believe you'll see something within the next 4 months

Thanks for your reply ncee. I'll wait until WWDC in June (I believe), if nothing is announce I might buy a new display.
  • Reply 179 of 193
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I imagine such institutions would remove or destroy the cameras.

They'd call it the iFright, or perhaps the Cyclops Option.
  • Reply 180 of 193
    bkjj40abkjj40a Posts: 6member
    There haven't been any indications of a new Cinema Display upcoming, have there? No reports of parts purchases, patents or anything?

We've been waiting on this for so ridiculously long, it makes you wonder seriously what is going on. We know Apple has present technology to make better displays, so why aren't they?

I'm starting to think that the one way to ensure that there will be new displays is buy giving in, and dropping cash on one of the present ones.