What configuration should i get for an iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i am going to be getting and iMac soon and i am wondering what is a better configuration.

I will be moving from an hp desktop with a 17" 4:3 ratio display.

i am wondering what i should i get:

2.4ghz 24" imac

specs:

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 1GB memory

* 320GB hard drive1

* 8x double-layer SuperDrive

* ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

-ADDD: GOING TO GET WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE

Ships: Within 24 hours

Free Shipping

$1,699.00

+50

$1750

ORRRRR

CUSTOMIZED 20" IMAC

* 2 GB memory (ADDED 1 MORE GIG)

* 320GB hard drive KEEP SAME CAUSE HAVE EXTERNAL

- ADD WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE

- ALSO I WOULD GET IWORKS PREINSTALLED AND APPLE CARE WITH IT

Free Shipping

$1,399.00

+320

$1729

so basically i am wodnering should i get an 24" 2.4ghz imac not customized except for a wirleess keybaord and mouse

or

a 20" imac with an extra gig of ram, iworks preinstalled, apple care thing, and wireless keyboard and nouse and i also save 30 dollars

what is better deall

one more thing

it seems cheaper bevcuase price is with student discount which saves me like 200 bucks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    What are you going to use your computer for?

Generally its best to get the stock RAM and upgrade it on your own. Its much cheaper than having Apple put it in for you. 2 gbs is the minimum, but you might be better off with 4 gbs depending upon what you do.

HDD size will again depend upon what you do. Are you going to rip DVDs with Handbrake? If so you might want to get a big HDD. Changing the HDD in the iMac ain't to easy.

I would get Applecare whatever configuration you choose.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Generally its best to get the stock RAM and upgrade it on your own. Its much cheaper than having Apple put it in for you. 2 gbs is the minimum, but you might be better off with 4 gbs depending upon what you do.

HDD size will again depend upon what you do. Are you going to rip DVDs with Handbrake? If so you might want to get a big HDD. Changing the HDD in the iMac ain't to easy.

I would get Applecare whatever configuration you choose.

i alreadyu have a 500gb wd hdd so hdd space isnt really a problem

and idk what to do on the ram

what do u think i should do

and one mroe thing is the 20" screen and 24" big beucase both look massive to me cuase my 17" 4:3 ratio one sucks
  • Reply 3 of 17
    here is an image i found showing the 2 next to eachother by the way

• Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post

i alreadyu have a 500gb wd hdd so hdd space isnt really a problem

and idk what to do on the ram

what do u think i should do

and one mroe thing is the 20" screen and 24" big beucase both look massive to me cuase my 17" 4:3 ratio one sucks

I would highly recommend at least 2 gbs of RAM but you can get 4 gbs and install yourself for the Apple upgrade to 2 gbs. Its supposedly very easy to instal RAM on the iMac.

As far as screen size is concerned, thats a personal preference. I plan on getting the 20" because it'll fit better in the spot I will place it. The 24" is just too big for the spot I have in my house. Some people feel that the 20" model has an unacceptable monitor. The 24" has a better display but I don't think the 20" is that bad. I've seen them in the Apple store and they're fine for my purposes. you may want to look at one at an Apple store or Best Buy before pulling the trigger.

I don't have an iMac but I plan on getting one this year so I've thinking about and researching these very issues.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

I would highly recommend at least 2 gbs of RAM but you can get 4 gbs and install yourself for the Apple upgrade to 2 gbs. Its supposedly very easy to instal RAM on the iMac.

As far as screen size is concerned, thats a personal preference. I plan on getting the 20" because it'll fit better in the spot I will place it. The 24" is just too big for the spot I have in my house. Some people feel that the 20" model has an unacceptable monitor. The 24" has a better display but I don't think the 20" is that bad. I've seen them in the Apple store and they're fine for my purposes. you may want to look at one at an Apple store or Best Buy before pulling the trigger.

I don't have an iMac but I plan on getting one this year so I've thinking about and researching these very issues.

ok thanks so much

depending on my budget i will either go for the 24" one and upgrade the ram later but if i cant then i will get the 20" one with 2 gigs of ram

other people please leave more comments
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Don't buy RAM from Apple. If you want more than the stock memory, buy some and install it yourself.

This should go without saying, but the 24" model has a nicer screen than the 20". Other than that, I don't have much opinion on the iMac.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Don't buy RAM from Apple. If you want more than the stock memory, buy some and install it yourself.

This should go without saying, but the 24" model has a nicer screen than the 20". Other than that, I don't have much opinion on the iMac.

do u know any website that offers cheap imac ram like 4 or 2 gbs that is cheap
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Any DDR2 SO-DIMM (laptop) memory, 667MHz or faster, will work. 2GB should cost about $40.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Hi TD, a reseller here (in Malaysia) says DIY upgrades invalidates AppleCare. Read the fine print, he says.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tommy Peters View Post

Hi TD, a reseller here (in Malaysia) says DIY upgrades invalidates AppleCare. Read the fine print, he says.

Installing RAM doesn't invalidate Apple care.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

I keep wondering why anyone would post any response to these threads other than this question, until it gets answered. Can't possibly give advice towards reaching a goal until you know what the goal is.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    from reading all of ur post and comments i have change the option to now this:

2.4ghz 24" imac

specs:

* 1GB memory

* 320GB hard drive1

-ADDD: GOING TO GET WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE

Free Shipping

$1,699.00

+50

$1750

I WOULD GET 1 EXTRA GB FROM OWC OR AMAZON.COM (+20)

THAT WOULD MAKE PRICE $1780

ORRRRR

CUSTOMIZED 20" IMAC

* 2 GB memory (ADDED 1 MORE GIG)FROM APPLE SO DONT HAVE TO WAST EFFORT

* 320GB hard drive KEEP SAME CAUSE HAVE EXTERNAL

- ADD WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE

- ALSO I WOULD GET IWORKS PREINSTALLED AND APPLE CARE WITH IT

Free Shipping

$1,399.00

+320

$1729

SO NOW WHAT DO U PEOPLE RECOMEND
  • Reply 13 of 17
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

SO NOW WHAT DO U PEOPLE RECOMEND

WHAT DO U WANT TO DO WITH THE COMPUTER?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

WHAT DO U WANT TO DO WITH THE COMPUTER?

ALL THE CONENVCES OF APPLE COMPUTER

IMOVIE, ITUNES, IWORKS AND I HATE MY OLD CRAPPY PC
  • Reply 15 of 17
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

ALL THE CONENVCES OF APPLE COMPUTER

IMOVIE, ITUNES, IWORKS AND I HATE MY OLD CRAPPY PC

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Limited Time Special Price

24-inch glossy widescreen display

1GB memory

320GB hard drive

8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

Built-in iSight Camera

$1,499

I would get this.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ac&mco=MTE3NjY
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Limited Time Special Price

24-inch glossy widescreen display

1GB memory

320GB hard drive

8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

Built-in iSight Camera

$1,499

I would get this.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ac&mco=MTE3NjY

i rather get a new one beucase u never know what happen to the reufrbish ones.

the old owner could have myabe jack off all over the screen and i diont want to touch that nasty sshit
  • Reply 17 of 17
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

i rather get a new one beucase u never know what happen to the reufrbish ones.

the old owner could have myabe jack off all over the screen and i diont want to touch that nasty sshit

Your concern is interesting.

I purchased & received a refurb. 24" 2.8GHz iMac about 2 weeks ago. Beautiful screen, perfect case. I can't discern in what way it has been refurbished (except for the odd veneer of dried, flaky material all over the screen) Purchased 4 GB of other world computing RAM for $90-ish, sold my OEM RAM for $30. $1799+$60 with this screen size/quality = no need or interest in upgrading for the next few years.

btw: A nice bonus is that, as others have reported, under XP...the video card becomes a free upgrade to an ATI 2600 XT.