Eating our words: Apple's Mac mini to rock on

Comments

• Reply 181 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As it is, Apple doesn't offer any 7200RPM drives at all for the mini, even though they could. They aren't offering them for the MacBook either. I would expect that Apple would hold onto the 5400 drives for as long as they can for their low end models.

Just recently installed a 200gb 16mb cache 7200rpm seagate hdrive to my mark I macbook. It really makes a difference from 60gb stock. Would highly recommend this.

I would imagine, said hard disk installed on mac mini, of any specification would give it a dramatic speed boost.
  • Reply 182 of 289
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

I think the problem with EVERYONE missing the point you were trying to make, is that you're not making any sense.

I'm making sense, you're just being nasty.

You don't have to agree. I really don't care.
  • Reply 183 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

A lot of the 'extra' software in OS X can be deselected in the install process, thereby reducing the overall 'memory footprint'?

Of course it can be. All extra software can be deleted.
  • Reply 184 of 289
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

True, but you have to be willing to reinstall OS X over the top of the version that came with the Mac in order to "deselect" the software/drivers/languages you don't want.

What, everyone doesn't automatically wipe the HDD on their new Macs and then do a fresh custom install??!?
  • Reply 185 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I guess, but they do no harm sitting there, other than taking up a a couple of GBs of disk space. They don't slow down your computer because there isn't code running.

Windows bloatware often consists of adware checkers, virus software, and other garbage that actually loads on startup, thus slowing down your computer. There's more necessity to remove this than a couple of extra printer drivers on MacOS X.

We're lucky we don't need most of that stuff. They often do.

One thing Ive noticed over the years with P people is that if they don't see the software, they won't know that they may need it. Will all the reporting over the years, only a small number ofPC people ever use virus checkers adware eliminating software, spyware elinating software, etc. If its on the machine, they may think about it.

But, as I mentioned earlier, this is a source of income for PC makers, it helps to allow them to sell at low margins.

Apple used to have much more of this stuff on their machines as well, but they've toned it down.

And, try hundreds of printer drivers.
  • Reply 186 of 289
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We're lucky we don't need most of that stuff. They often do.

One thing Ive noticed over the years with P people is that if they don't see the software, they won't know that they may need it. Will all the reporting over the years, only a small number ofPC people ever use virus checkers adware eliminating software, spyware elinating software, etc. If its on the machine, they may think about it.

But, as I mentioned earlier, this is a source of income for PC makers, it helps to allow them to sell at low margins.

Apple used to have much more of this stuff on their machines as well, but they've toned it down.

And, try hundreds of printer drivers.

I think people simply disagree with what you categorize as bloat. Printer drivers, for example, are part of that "plug it in and it works" infrastructure.

To a lesser extent Apache is in that same category for some of the iLife tools if you wish to self publish and not use .mac. A better case can be made for them though.
  • Reply 187 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I think people simply disagree with what you categorize as bloat. Printer drivers, for example, are part of that "plug it in and it works" infrastructure.

To a lesser extent Apache is in that same category for some of the iLife tools if you wish to self publish and not use .mac. A better case can be made for them though.

I'm not actually calling printer drivers, fonts, and other parts of the OS, bloat. I'm just pointing out that there is a lot of stuff that is loaded that most people never use, such as the programming frameworks and the webserver.

You probably remember the days of system 9 and earlier, when we would remove all of the things from the system we didn't need, including all those modem scripts. I'm simply making the point that we load all of this stuff without realizing what it is, or whether we need it. It's true that HDD's are large enough so that a few extra GB in the OS doesn't make much difference, but it is there.

Apple used to supply almost a dozen trial programs and games, but that started to lesson when iLife came out. Now it's only two or three packages.
  • Reply 188 of 289
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That's why I asked about the power requirements for the Mini's current drive.

I was wondering what the replacement options are, in terms of 7200RPM drives.

These are the first I've heard of that have 7200RPM drive-level capacities and low power requirements.

Sorry, I didn't notice the question.

The power difference is very small. A 5400RPM notebook drive might max at 2W, the worst 7200RPM notebook drive maxes out at about 2.5W. This varies between drive models, but that's the general figure that you can expect to see.
  • Reply 189 of 289
    I just added a Kingston 4GB Kit (two 2GB PC2-5300) Mac Mini Core Duo 2 2GHz. I brought it from Fry's Electronics for $79.99. I'm on the Mac Mini. I been in Activity Monitor I see 4GB Pie Chart but adding the usage and all it is 3GB. Honestly, I see a big speed difference then the 1GB including programs like Garageband especially playing large tracks with a lot instruments example like the 1GB or larger demos of Jam Pack Symphony Orchestra, iPhoto where as I got over 5,000 photos, iTunes with 1.6GB MPEG-4 Videos of movies brought from iTunes, and finally Safari 3.1 including 1080p Trailers from Apple and websites with a lot of media! Some instances of these programs because it was so instantly accessible and responsive I felt if I had a Solid State Drive. If you really think about I recommend getting two 2GB DIMMs, #1 matching pairs, #2 128-bit addressing, #3 you have a 1GB more to use than the Apple recommended maximum. Finally #4 The performance truly justifies the price. Installing it was actually easier to me because of Mac Mini RAM Upgrade Tutorial this was the site I printed it up and use as a guide to install. Took me actually less than 30 minutes including testing it before putting the case back on. I love the Mac Mini Core Duo 2 it's really working for me until I get enough money to get a 2.5" SATA 256GB SSD (Solid State Drive)! Yeah a 256GB SSD in a Mac Mini with 4GB Memory. Now this is how the Mac Mini will be rocking on!
  • Reply 190 of 289
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

I just added a Kingston 4GB Kit (two 2GB PC2-5300) Mac Mini Core Duo 2 2GHz. I brought it from Fry's Electronics for $79.99. I'm on the Mac Mini. I been in Activity Monitor I see 4GB Pie Chart but adding the usage and all it is 3GB. Honestly, I see a big speed difference then the 1GB including programs like Garageband especially playing large tracks with a lot instruments example like the 1GB or larger demos of Jam Pack Symphony Orchestra, iPhoto where as I got over 5,000 photos, iTunes with 1.6GB MPEG-4 Videos of movies brought from iTunes, and finally Safari 3.1 including 1080p Trailers from Apple and websites with a lot of media! Some instances of these programs because it was so instantly accessible and responsive I felt if I had a Solid State Drive. If you really think about I recommend getting two 2GB DIMMs, #1 matching pairs, #2 128-bit addressing, #3 you have a 1GB more to use than the Apple recommended maximum. Finally #4 The performance truly justifies the price. Installing it was actually easier to me because of Mac Mini RAM Upgrade Tutorial this was the site I printed it up and use as a guide to install. Took me actually less than 30 minutes including testing it before putting the case back on. I love the Mac Mini Core Duo 2 it's really working for me until I get enough money to get a 2.5" SATA 256GB SSD (Solid State Drive)! Yeah a 256GB SSD in a Mac Mini with 4GB Memory. Now this is how the Mac Mini will be rocking on!

Good one. Well done. The Mini is serving me well too. I look forward to your further feedback if you upgrade with a flash disk.
  • Reply 191 of 289
    upperqupperq Posts: 1member
    i thought I eye the the Mac mini as an eventual replacement to my aging PowerMac G4. whats ur thinking....................&)(

anime
  • Reply 192 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by upperq View Post

i thought I eye the the Mac mini as an eventual replacement to my aging PowerMac G4. whats ur thinking....................&)(

anime

Depends on what you want it for.
  • Reply 193 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The power difference is very small. A 5400RPM notebook drive might max at 2W, the worst 7200RPM notebook drive maxes out at about 2.5W. This varies between drive models, but that's the general figure that you can expect to see.

I doubt a few watts power of extra consumption will make any difference in a Mac mini, since it IS a desktop machine. In a laptop there might be a marginal difference.

A 7200 rpm hard drive will make a big difference, speedwise, in pretty much every area. I started putting them in my PowerBooks since 2 1/2" 7200 rpm drives were first available and it makes a noticeable difference: booting, launching apps, Opening/Saving files and searching. I've been quite happy with them.
  • Reply 194 of 289
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    I would be surprised if Apple did discontinue this model, have you watched the refirb store at Apple, the newer ones rarely stay in stock for 24 hours when they are put up. I think that the older models would go faster if they adjusted the price's to be more realistic instead of basing the price off of the original retail (come on $779 for a 1.6 Core Duo when you can buy a new 1.8 for $499, someone at Apple is smoking Crack). I would like to see the low end get down to $499 which I think would make the computer even more attractive and even harder to keep on the shelves.
  • Reply 195 of 289
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Yes, the refurb store is interesting to watch.

Minis fly out as soon as they arrive but those "special limited time" iMacs have been there a month or so.
  • Reply 196 of 289
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

(come on $779 for a 1.6 Core Duo

I noticed that the other day and thought it was a mistake. I guess there are people out there who look at the "original" price and think it's a good deal.
  • Reply 197 of 289
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I noticed that the other day and thought it was a mistake. I guess there are people out there who look at the "original" price and think it's a good deal.

I don't know why they just do that with the Mini though and not any other machine they have. Seems like more evidence that they don't want you buying them instead of an iMac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777

That's why I asked about the power requirements for the Mini's current drive.

I was wondering what the replacement options are, in terms of 7200RPM drives.

These are the first I've heard of that have 7200RPM drive-level capacities and low power requirements.

It will probably depend on noise and heat the drive generates too. The Mini is practically silent so anything louder and they'll probably not use it.

They might use them in the iMac though as they could at some point fit two x 2.5" drives in there for backups, RAID. I doubt it would allow then to shrink the enclosure down further than it already is.

Where is this Mini update already - any stock shortages anywhere yet?
  • Reply 198 of 289
    I wish Apple would hurry up and release this new version. I'm waiting.
  • Reply 199 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post

I wish Apple would hurry up and release this new version. I'm waiting.

im desperate to get a mac mini but not sure if to buy now or wait for the new one. Can anyone answer any of these questions...

When will the new one be out?

What will the upgrades likely be?

If you buy one now and they bring a new one out 2 months down the line - whats the chances of getting apple to swap it?

Will the upgrade being an increase in price?

hope you guys can help me make the correct descision.

thanks

chris
  • Reply 200 of 289
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcdermott_c View Post

im desperate to get a mac mini but not sure if to buy now or wait for the new one. Can anyone answer any of these questions...

When will the new one be out?

What will the upgrades likely be?

If you buy one now and they bring a new one out 2 months down the line - whats the chances of getting apple to swap it?

Will the upgrade being an increase in price?

hope you guys can help me make the correct descision.

thanks

chris

I own a Mini, which is almost perfect for my use and I will buy more in the next few months but, I won't buy until after WWDC. The Mini might not be upgraded but I just couldn't buy until after the conference.

Believe it or not, the Mini would be perfect for my use if it had an RS232 port! USB to RS232 converters are fine on OS X but a pain under Linux (Ubuntu) (and no - I am not expecting one).