Aluminum MacBook, iMac-like MacBook Pro mocks leaked?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An unusual .Mac website believed to belong to an Apple employee has been revealed to include promotional images depicting an all aluminum 13-inch MacBook design in addition to a MacBook Pro that takes design cues from the company's existing line of all-in-one iMac computers.

The images, which were passed on to MacRumors by an eagle-eyed viewer, largely match descriptions of new MacBook and MacBook Pro designs recently detailed by AppleInsider in a report on notebook makeovers due out from the Cupertino-based company a little later this year.

Specifically, the renderings show a 13-inch multi-touch MacBook clad completely in aluminum with the exception of the keyboard, which is black to match that of the one that recently began shipping on the MacBook Air.

Meanwhile, a new MacBook Pro depicted in the images appears to share the same kind of display bezel as Apple's current iMacs, completely with black trim that frames the notebook's LCD display.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider reported that the existing MacBook and MacBook Pro would be the last of their breed, as both product families were destined for major design changes upon their next refresh.

It was reported that the 13-inch MacBooks would undergo the most significant metamorphosis, shedding their plastic enclosures for ones constructed from more eco-friendly materials such as aircraft-grade aluminum and stainless steel.

Meanwhile, the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro were also reported to see aesthetic revisions, which like their upcoming MacBook counterparts were described by those familiar with the products as borrowing several design cues from the August 2007 aluminum iMacs and all-new MacBook Air.

Next-gen Apple MacBook & MacBook Pro renderings published by MacRumors.

Some of these design cues were believed to include instances of matte black on portions of the casings, oversized multi-touch trackpads, and the adoption of the MacBook Air's keyboard by the MacBook -- all of which are depicted in the recently revealed renderings.

Boosting confidence in these design changes are reports out of Taiwan this week that Apple has placed a substantial order for new aluminum 13-inch MacBook casings with one of the larger Taiwanese case makers.

Another image included on the .Mac website and forwarded to MacRumors appears to be a teaser for iTunes 8 and includes the date of June 10th, around the same time Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is due to present his opening keynote at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco.

Update: MacRumors has posted an update to its story which casts doubt on the legitimacy of the mock ups.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    design does not look awesome; may be it is due to the photo quality ...

13" Alu MacBook should be good; hope some form new thinking in Combo drive...

We will see blu-ray also this june?
  • Reply 2 of 58
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    The scale on the 13" MacBook makes no sense unless the screen is larger than 13" or the keyboard has mysteriously shrunk.

Mockups ftw.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

13" Alu MacBook should be good; hope some form new thinking in Combo drive...

We will see blu-ray also this june?

No on the BD and no on the MB refresh in June, if you were implying that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

The scale on the 13" MacBook makes no sense unless the screen is larger than 13" or the keyboard has mysteriously shrunk.

Those are clearly 15" and 17" mockups.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Well I think it's shmecksy.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    rdas7rdas7 Posts: 32member
    Regardless of whether these are fake or not (I vote fake), they're not exactly imaginative. Ok, so the MacBook revision would bring an Air keyboard and aluminum enclosure? And if the MacBook Pros get only-glossy screens I know more than a few people who will complain (as an owner of both, I prefer the choice). As for hardware, we already know that the next rev will be incremental, and the big news will be Nehalem in 2009.

As for iTunes 8 on June 10th, um, it doesn't exactly take insider information to see this coming. Jobs always presents major revs to iTunes (keynote date, check) and major revs come about once a year (iLife 08 and iTunes *7*, ahem). Now with Leopard out with Core Animation and all kinds of under-the-hood goodness, isn't it time iTunes finally becomes the database it's always meant to be (instead of the bogus xml index file!)

The bigger news would be if they flipped the '8' on it's side and revved it to iTunes ∞.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    I F&^%ING hate glossy screens. I'm a designer and using a computer with a glossy screen is the most distracting thing in the world. I was all set to buy the new iMac but once I saw that crappy screen I opted out. I'm using my wife's MacBook Pro Matte screen instead. If they move to an all glossy screen line up I'll be forced to look elsewhere. I don't want to use a PC, but if my only option with Apple is Glossy or Mac Pro then due to financial restraints I'll be at a loss.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    ros3ntanros3ntan Posts: 201member
    if they have to change the MBP keyboard into the macbook air keyboard.. i would have to say MBP has become cheap looking. As much as i like the macbook keyboard, it is not one of the best. The reason is when you type there is a lot of clicking sound. With the MBP, there are less cllicking. Im a perfectionist, so i would prefer my MBP to be very quiet.

if the finish product is close to the mock design, i better get the current MBP....
  • Reply 8 of 58
    There is no way they would go glossy on Macbook PRos. You could still have the black surround with a matte screen. I think the redesign looks great but I don't think its legit.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

I F&^%ING hate glossy screens. I'm a designer and using a computer with a glossy screen is the most distracting thing in the world. I was all set to buy the new iMac but once I saw that crappy screen I opted out. I'm using my wife's MacBook Pro Matte screen instead. If they move to an all glossy screen line up I'll be forced to look elsewhere. I don't want to use a PC, but if my only option with Apple is Glossy or Mac Pro then due to financial restraints I'll be at a loss.

Huh?! Where did this tirate come from? I see nothing in the article about glossy screens. Since the MBPS have had the option for either since their inception, and there are plenty of graphic designers that will not use a glossy screen it seems to be a safe bet that Apple will continue offering matte in the future.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

They stole one of the mock-ups (from Adokimus) and slapped a bleedin' "Tiger" desktop on it. A lousy fake at best - very surprised AI took the bait.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    Those are clearly just mock-ups somebody slapped together, not photos of an actual product. Still, I think the real thing is going to look something like that.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    ros3ntanros3ntan Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They stole one of the mock-ups (from Adokimus) and slapped a bleedin' "Tiger" desktop on it. A lousy fake at best - very surprised AI took the bait.

looks very cheap....
  • Reply 13 of 58
    danukdanuk Posts: 31member
    My 12" PowerBook is getting jealous seeing me lust after the Alu MacBook.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanUK View Post

My 12" PowerBook is getting jealous seeing me lust after the Alu MacBook.

You're PB should be jealous of any Intel Core machine.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

With the MBP, there are less cllicking. Im a perfectionist...

yes
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Wonder if they will offer a Black anodized MacBook with the same finish as the black iPod Classic?
  • Reply 17 of 58
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    ? frankly, I hope they take the Air approach by leaving the slot loading drive out.

Unlike the picture of the mock ups, the black edge is gonna make your applications look very zen on the screen!
  • Reply 18 of 58
    kwoonkwoon Posts: 1member
    This is clearly a fake!

Check this out: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=467134&page=8 # 178

I took that image and made it the same size as the Macbook Pro image from this rumor. As you can see in my attachments they are pretty much the same with one exception. The screen. But, I the I took a look at the aspect on the screen on the rumored macbook pro and realized it wasn?t 16:10 witch it always is on laptops.

And then I look closer on the MacBook. If this is true, apple will release a 15" macbook. The keyboard is to small. Look again at my attachments. As you can see the keyboard on a macbook is the same size as the screen but on the rumored macbook the screen is much bigger.

• Reply 19 of 58
    cheap, tacky imitations... one even looks like a Dell
  • Reply 20 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Well I think it's shmecksy.

So do most of the posts at MacRumors blog who have a slew of reasons why thy thinks so. But don't you love how quickly there are those ready to get so angry about stuff that may well be a joke. Lightens the day no end seeing them bunch their knickers\