Macbook Air, Should I or Shouldn't I?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Heyy, I'm considering buying a macbook air, i use my current macbook for ripping the odd dvd and for sorta basic use really, is it worth sticking to the 1.6 or should i get the 1.8? I have an elgato turbo.264 to use with the air so i'm not worried about encoding speed and have no interest in the SSD at the current time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Depends on the amount you want to spend. I don't think the difference between the 1.6 and the 1.8 would be that noticeable, really. I have the 1.6/80 Macbook Air and it does just fine for me. It's pretty much taken over as my main laptop.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I just wonder how much difference it makes, I'll be using an airdisk mainly so that will most likely give me better performance for most things than the built in drive so i'm not worried about having a mechanical HD.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    the air has only 1 usb port i recomned either eaiting till wwdc in july or getting the middle macbook or the black macbook

macbook macbook air

both are 2.4ghz 1.6 or 1.8ghz

have 2gb of ram 2gb ram (cant upgrade)

white 160gb hdd 80gb pata 4200rpm slower

black has 250gb hdd 64ssd makes bootup 15 secs fast, makes apps open faster but +1000

included superdrive +100 for external gonna look ugly

white is 1299 stander is 1799, +100 superdrive

and black is 1499 1899

i go with macbook and personall

if ur willing to get macbook air

i go for macbook pro

u get dedicated graphics card

removable bater

2.4ghz

2gb ram

200gb hdd

15.4 inch screen

and only 2 pounds more

are u that week

go for mbp or mb

unless if portabilyity is a major thing for u

but it sounds like it isnt really so go for an macbook or macbook pro
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I will be traveling with it, the macbook pro is just a desktop replacement at heart really, i like the size of the macbook air, for me i think it would be a convenient machine, I store everything on my air disk and .mac account and I'm unhappy with my white macbook as it chips so easily, i've had the palm rest replaced 4 times and feel it isn't built well. I don't play games really so I won't be needing a dedicated graphics card and tbh if i were i wouldn't buy a laptop for games.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

the air has only 1 usb port i recomned either eaiting till wwdc in july or getting the middle macbook or the black macbook .... (stream-of-consciousness regurgitation of specs on Apple Store website omitted)

I am so tempted to delete that gibberish. I think that is worse than you know who.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    people seem to miss the point of the air entirely....ignorant people
  • Reply 7 of 12
    The general consensus is that Apple replaced the entire line of portables with the Air. I don't get it at all. People get WAY to personal when someone else says they like the Air. It gets out of control, people literally calling others idiots and worse because the Air has only one usb port, etc. I'm frankly tired of listening to it.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

I am so tempted to delete that gibberish. I think that is worse than you know who.

What can you expect from a guy who won't consider a refurb because someone might have jacked off on the screen?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

What can you expect from a guy who won't consider a refurb because someone might have jacked off on the screen?

What do you mean, you don't?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ahaha tbh i was only worrying about processing speed with the air for the purpose of ripping dvd's into appletv format onto my airdisk, but using mac the ripper to extract dvd's to my airdisk is as fast as it would be atm on my macbook plugged into my drive via usb, same as using handbrake, i'll be using a turbo 264 as well to speed things up. Has anyone tried handbrake with a macbook air?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

The general consensus is that Apple replaced the entire line of portables with the Air. I don't get it at all. People get WAY to personal when someone else says they like the Air. It gets out of control, people literally calling others idiots and worse because the Air has only one usb port, etc. I'm frankly tired of listening to it.

Exactly. I don't think I have ever seen before such a lack of understanding of what the purpose of a product is.

Fortunately, those who are the market for the product seem not to have the same comprehension problem.

And calling it a "niche" is incorrect, also. "NIche" would be a gold-plated MacBook, or a 19" laptop with 4 hard drives and an octo-core weighing 15 pounds. An ultralight is not a "niche." Calling an ultralight a "niche" is just as ridiculous as calling all laptops a "niche."
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Exactly. I don't think I have ever seen before such a lack of understanding of what the purpose of a product is.

Fortunately, those who are the market for the product seem not to have the same comprehension problem.

And calling it a "niche" is incorrect, also. "NIche" would be a gold-plated MacBook, or a 19" laptop with 4 hard drives and an octo-core weighing 15 pounds. An ultralight is not a "niche." Calling an ultralight a "niche" is just as ridiculous as calling all laptops a "niche."

tbh i see air as the future really, eventually most laptops will have no optical drive (just my opinion) and if you want one or want to upgrade to a blu ray drive etc it's as simple as buying an external attachment or whatever.