A very interesting question

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Recently someone asked me what was the most inspirational thing I'd ever seen.

Not having had any kids or anything, that was quite a challange that I thought deserved a bit of thought. I've seen plenty of sunrises from all different corners of the globe which will forever stick in my mind, but the one thing that really sticks in my mind is related to religion. In Japan there are a group of monks who do this most impossible feat called the Kaihogyo - 1000 marathons over the course of 7 years, with a little ceremony called the Doiri tucked in the middle. The Doiri is 9 days where the trainee can neither Eat, Sleep, or take any water and must pray in the temple. He's got 2 monks who constantly watch over him to make sure he doesn't fall asleep. He has to get up at 2am to make an offering at the well. I have studied these guys for years but I recently saw a video on youtube of his ordeal there. The look on the face of the trainee as he was carried out of the temple after it was over bought tears to my eyes.

Look up marathon monk on youtube if you want to see it for yourself.

Kindof out of leftfield I know, but I would be interested to hear what other people think of as inspirational.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules View Post

Recently someone asked me what was the most inspirational thing I'd ever seen.

Not having had any kids or anything, that was quite a challange that I thought deserved a bit of thought. I've seen plenty of sunrises from all different corners of the globe which will forever stick in my mind, but the one thing that really sticks in my mind is related to religion. In Japan there are a group of monks who do this most impossible feat called the Kaihogyo - 1000 marathons over the course of 7 years, with a little ceremony called the Doiri tucked in the middle. The Doiri is 9 days where the trainee can neither Eat, Sleep, or take any water and must pray in the temple. He's got 2 monks who constantly watch over him to make sure he doesn't fall asleep. He has to get up at 2am to make an offering at the well. I have studied these guys for years but I recently saw a video on youtube of his ordeal there. The look on the face of the trainee as he was carried out of the temple after it was over bought tears to my eyes.

Look up marathon monk on youtube if you want to see it for yourself.

Kindof out of leftfield I know, but I would be interested to hear what other people think of inspirational.

The Marine Corps Silent Drill Team. Without a doubt.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

The Marine Corps Silent Drill Team. Without a doubt.

Hahaha Awesome...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I get my inspiration from breathing the godless atmosphere of the basement of Jadwin.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Extreme marathons photo essay.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Watching someone struggle with terminal cancer and blow it all off because they are too busy enjoying life.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Extreme marathons photo essay.

Sounds very similar to what the Marathon Monks do...