prnter

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, i am a new apple user. I just purchase a macbook 1 week ago. I was wondering how do you install a printer on the mac? I have a hp laser jet model 1018. It comes with a installation cd but it does not open with the map.

What i tried was do to settings and add a printer. It automatically looks for a driver for you. It has alot of drivers for the hp laser jet but not my model. The closest is the hp laserjet 1010 or hp laserjet 1015. I tried using both and the printer does not print. Can someone help me. thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Looks like from HP's website that printer is Windows only.

There's some Unix-fu here, if you're up for that.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kenrc51kenrc51 Posts: 31member
    whats a unix-fu? How do i make my hp printer work for my mac?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Hi kenrc,

Unix-fu lets a printer work with a Mac that wouldn't normally work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to get this going you need to download and install: foo2zjs-1.1-UB.dmg, foo2zjs-1.1-UB.dmg and gplgs-8.61-ub.dmg from http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/O...MacOSX/foo2zjs

and then you can use the System Preferences to install your printer as normal. Give it a go and let us know how you get on.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenrc51 View Post

whats a unix-fu? How do i make my hp printer work for my mac?

Just for the record, putting "fu" on the end of things comes from "kung-fu" and means "a clever, intricate move as practiced by a one of the brotherhood that finesses the situation to get the desired result."

Unix-fu, Linux-fu, command line-fu, registry-fu, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Didn't there used to be a generic laser printer driver? If it still exists, give that a try.