Apple orders aluminum 13-inch MacBook shells, 3G iPhone chips

Comments

• Reply 61 of 149
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are so wrong. Only the grill looked "antiquish".

I'm not drawing any parallels between cars and computers. I'm commenting only the cars. I actually like the MacBook the way it is.

I'm mostly teasing that most of the cars you chose to counter the Porsche were big, even more expensive touring cars and sedans.

And be honest, the jump from this Phantom (1968-1991):

To the new Phantom really isn't that much larger than the jump from the Porsche 964 to the 997. Same general design cues, silkier execution. Those brands, as well as Apple, have hit upon several iconic design elements that they are more than happy to maintain in their design. I wouldn't expect any extensive overhauls to Apple's laptop line anytime soon - anything they do is likely to carry the DNA of the line going all the way back to the TiBook.
  • Reply 62 of 149
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

I wouldn't expect any extensive overhauls to Apple's laptop line anytime soon - anything they do is likely to carry the DNA of the line going all the way back to the TiBook.

Ugh. Lost their mojo, did they?

Out of ideas, are they?

Year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year, the same old laptop look. After 7-8 years and three aluminum laptops later, when I walked back into an Apple Store to buy a new laptop, I couldn't believe that nothing in the Pro line had changed at all. I couldn't stand getting a new laptop that looked exactly like my old laptop. So, I bought the black MacBook instead of a Pro version.

Now, apparently, there will be little if any differentiation between the cases, eliminating any personality at all from the offering. It's like one gigantic never changing uniform, and all Mac laptop users must look exactly alike, sans individuality.

Infuriatingly boring.

Makes me want to throw a big hammer through the window of my neighborhood Apple Store.

The ancient line needs a refresh, badly. Switchers wouldn't notice it... yet. But long standing Mac laptop users like me do.

There's a saying in the electronics business: if you don't eat your young, somebody else will.
  • Reply 63 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Ugh. Lost their mojo, did they?

Out of ideas, are they?

Year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year, the same old laptop look. After 7-8 years and three aluminum laptops later, when I walked back into an Apple Store to buy a new laptop, I couldn't believe that nothing in the Pro line had changed at all. I couldn't stand getting a new laptop that looked exactly like my old laptop. So, I bought the black MacBook instead of a Pro version.

Now, apparently, there will be little if any differentiation between the cases, eliminating any personality at all from the offering. It's like one gigantic never changing uniform, and all Mac laptop users must look exactly alike, sans individuality.

Infuriatingly boring.

Makes me want to throw a big hammer through the window of my neighborhood Apple Store.

The ancient line needs a refresh, badly. Switchers wouldn't notice it... yet. But long standing Mac laptop users like me do.

There's a saying in the electronics business: if you don't eat your young, somebody else will.

There is only so much you can do with a notebook design. What are you expecting? Aluminium is a durable material and great for thin casings. If you want pointless flash get an Acer Ferrari or Lamborghini laptop.

What would you expect Apple to do? They've made it thinner. They've updated all the really important stuff like the display and everything connecting to the mother board. I wouldn't mind anodized colours on the MacBook when they move to aluminium, but that is it.
  • Reply 64 of 149
    Quote:

That is quite sexy.

Can you cite any precedence where Apple updated a product this close to a previous update?

Damn straight that's sexy. Same basic look, but nice touches.

as for precedence....anybody remember iTunes 5?
  • Reply 65 of 149
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:

So, early on this year, tired of the same-old designs from Apple year after year after year after year after year, I purchased a black 13" MacBook. You know, something new, something different.

And I was astonished! After years of aluminum laptops, my shiny new plastic MacBook delivered more than double the airport range! I was in heaven! (Turns out metal does make for good signal shielding :-)

Yeah I get a bit fed up with the same designs too. It's worse when it's a design you don't particularly like. I've never been too keen on the Mac Pro design and it's been going for a while now. I actually don't like the black Macbook either - I had a white one and it just looks so much cleaner and eye-catching IMO.

The trouble is making sure that good aesthetic design doesn't compromise good technical design. The laptops have to remain cool and durable.

We already know about the discoloration and case cracking issue on the Macbooks so plastic enclosures have flaws that the MBP doesn't - plastic cases also get swirl marks in them quite easily, this may be just the white one I'm not sure. They also don't conduct heat nearly as well as the metallic cases so a metallic Macbook could make room for some higher spec components. The signal issues should be overcome with the 802.11n signals.

I think if they'd explore the possibility of colored anodized aluminium like the ipod lineup then the design can still be fresh and appealling. As long as they pick colors that work well. I wouldn't like to ever see a green Macbook. But of course, if the color is BTO, I guess even green could be in there so that people who maybe work for green-peace or some other organization with something to do with green can have an identifying color.
  • Reply 66 of 149
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I too am so fed up of the current design.

It seems since the TiBook, I have upgraded to the very same machine, and each time I upgrade I get less of a 'Wow!' factor, to the point now that I am looking at other machines, if only for the variation!

The worst was from an Alu G4, to a 1.8ghz MBP, to a 2.1 MBP and a 2.1 C2D MBP through work. They all just felt the same, and also all wore pretty badly...

In fact, my personal 2.16 machine is so bad after 18 months or so, that I am disgusted by the build quality and the performance it has offered. Paint peeling, paint coming off keys, flickering screen, uneven backlighting, warped bottom case, you name it!

So, I am looking for a new machine, and the Macbook would be perfect... apart from the Integrated graphics, for me, it is a disgrace that Apple offer only the X3100 on a machine costing over 1000Euro!

I look at a dell Vostro 1500...

2.4ghz C2D,

Nvidia 8600M GT

250 Gig HDD

4 Gig RAM

All for 650Euro!

Apple needs to *badly* refresh the laptop lines...
  • Reply 67 of 149
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

A worker at a Taiwanese case manufacturer posting to one of the Taiwan's largest technology forums claims (link withheld to protect identity) that his unnamed employer has just this week received orders to produce enclosures for new MacBook systems.

"I'm making plastics now" is all I could think when I read that. Does this remind any of the AI old schoolers of anyone?
  • Reply 68 of 149
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    "To the new Phantom really isn't that much larger than the jump from the Porsche 964 to the 997. Same general design cues, silkier execution."

please... at least you can show something like this... (bit old... but loaded with fuel cells)...

http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2003/11/61216
  • Reply 69 of 149
    Quote:

What are you expecting? ... What would you expect Apple to do?

You know, after just short of a damned decade, I don't think it's "expecting" too much for Apple to innovate and introduce something different. They've lived off their laurels for far too long.

Again, I urge Apple to think anything different, we're all sick and tired of the same old same old.

Time for change, baby. Don't make us throw a big hammer through the window of our neighborhood Apple Store!
  • Reply 70 of 149
    Quote:

You know, after just short of a damned decade, I don't think it's "expecting" too much for Apple to innovate and introduce something different. They've lived off their laurels for far too long.

Again, I urge Apple to think anything different, we're all sick and tired of the same old same old.

Time for change, baby. Don't make us throw a big hammer through the window of our neighborhood Apple Store!

But you need a keyboard and a monitor and a mouse. The keyboard can't be behind the monitor and the mouse can't be in vertical position above the monitor. And while bamboo makes a really sweet wood floor it's not well suited for a thin, durable notebook. So, those examples aside, what ideas do you have to make notebooks functions the same or better than they do now based ont he physics of our universe and our physical requirements of being human?

I don't mind people complaining, but at least have some sort of resolution in mind when you do. Apple has changed to Intel, which is a huge internal revamping, They have added a camera, DVI, an IR sensor, altered the keyboard on several of there notebook models, are in the process of enlarging the trackpad for true multi-port gestures, replaced old cryptic keyboard glyphs with usable words, and, of course, added new ports and made the whole package more compact. Sure, these are minor when taken one by one, by there is no way you can look at the MB of today and mistake it for a PB from decade ago.

Again, if you have insight into how Apple could accomplish this please post it here. There are many of us that would love to here some fresh ideas.
  • Reply 71 of 149
    Quote:

But you need a keyboard and a monitor and a mouse. .... So, those examples aside, what ideas do you have to make notebooks functions the same or better than they do now based ont he physics of our universe and our physical requirements of being human?

Again, if you have insight into how Apple could accomplish this please post it here. There are many of us that would love to here some fresh ideas.

Sorry, Apple doesn't pay me enough - or anything - to do their job for them. It's not my responsibility, it's not your responsibility. They need to do their job - the job they haven't been doing for quite some time.

I vote with my cash.

As soon as they stop dragging their feet, stop dishing out the same damned design like they have for the last 7 or 8 years, and get off their asses and design something new - [I}any damn thing will do![/I] - I just can't bring myself (nor can a whole bunch of other people, it seems) to buy another Mac laptop that looks exactly like my last Mac laptop, and looks exactly like the one I had before that, and exactly like the one I owned before that one.

PLEASE give us something different!

It's all gotten so boring...
  • Reply 72 of 149
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Sorry, Apple doesn't pay me enough - or anything - to do their job for them. It's not my responsibility, it's not your responsibility. They need to do their job - the job they haven't been doing for quite some time.

I vote with my cash.

As soon as they stop dragging their feet, stop dishing out the same damned design like they have for the last 7 or 8 years, and get off their asses and design something new - [I}any damn thing will do![/I] - I just can't bring myself (nor can a whole bunch of other people, it seems) to buy another Mac laptop that looks exactly like my last Mac laptop, and looks exactly like the one I had before that, and exactly like the one I owned before that one.

Well, as far as a lot of people refusing to by Mac notebooks because Apple hasn't been diligent enough in updating designs, really doesn't seem to be case, given recent sales figures.
  • Reply 73 of 149
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

I don't know.

Apple does what it can. Notebook design is a mature category at this point. Apple has contributed (1) magnetic latches (although the latchless magnetic design would be nice on the next MBP revision); (2) backlit keyboard with ambient lighting sensors; (3) large multi-touch trackpad; (4) integrated isight camera; (5) magnetic power-cord; (6) slot-loading drives; (7) sturdy, low-standing hinge design; (8) thin form-factors; (9) next generation display backlights; (10) Sudden Motion Sensor.

Even the MacBook Air, Apple's most revolutionary notebook product in years, is only "evolutionary" because technology has evolved to the point where Apple could reduce the thinness of the device. I don't see notebook design changing all that much for the foreseeable future.

What you're looking for, it seems, is a revolutionary new product type.
  • Reply 74 of 149
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

What you're looking for, it seems, is a revolutionary new product type.

Nahh. What he is looking for is change for change's sake. He has no plan or idea Maybe he will be happy with Ireland's colors...
  • Reply 75 of 149
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But, if this is true, I wonder how it will impact the MBP sales. Unless their cases will undergo a drastic, easily noticed revision, these aluminum MB's will steal some sales.

Was not there, not long before, some rumor about gun metal notebooks sightings at Apple's campus? This is probably the new MBP.

But yes, without a clearer differentiation the aluminium MBs would easily steal MBP sales.
  • Reply 76 of 149
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Was not there, not long before, some rumor about gun metal notebooks sightings at Apple's campus? This is probably the new MBP.

But yes, without a clearer differentiation the aluminium MBs would easily steal MBP sales.

Well, rumors is us!

I've heard so many Apple rumors, I don't even bother to report them, except for a few times when they were from people I know within Apple, and that's only happened a few times over the time I've been here. Otherwise I ignore them. It's only when something is predicted for a specific time frame, and comes from sources that have proven to be fairly reliable, do I pay any attention. The gun metal rumors never rose to that level for me.
  • Reply 77 of 149
    Quote:

I vote with my cash.

It's not their responsibility to make a one off device that suits your needs, and only your needs. As a public company it is their responsibility to grow the company.

The old adage "the customer is always right" is oft misused. Usually by a greedy customer trying to get more than is deserved but it holds true when you look at success of a product or company. In other words, if you have a product that the people want, they will buy it. SInce Macs are growing 2.5x the rest of the industry, they are the only ones with incresed desktop sales and have the most popular selling notebook model, and do all this without having to sell a bargain basement machine riddled with 3rd-party software money to offset the lowered profit margin, it looks like the people have made their decision.

You do vote with your cash, but agin, you are not the only one with cash. If you have an idea, patent it. If you only want to complain, well I can't stop you. But if you actually have something to add to the conversation that isn't an empty pipe dream of wanting something different but have absolutely no clue what that could be then you aren't going to find many allies here.
  • Reply 78 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, as far as a lot of people refusing to by Mac notebooks because Apple hasn't been diligent enough in updating designs, really doesn't seem to be case, given recent sales figures.

That's true, and I've already mentioned that here - the switcher who are buying up the laptops recently - spurring sales, a great thing for us stockholders - have not come back yet to buy their 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th Mac laptop.

In my case, I started with a 165, went to 180C, had a Duo, a 1400c, a 3400c, a Wall Street, a Lombard, followed by a Pismo; then a Ti PowerBook, then an Al PowerBook G4, then an Aluminum Intel, then another Aluminum Intel, then another Aluminum Intel, then lastly, a BlackBook. In between, over the years, I bought my daughters a combined 14 various Pismo's, Clamshells and iBooks.

So, I have a right to complain!

You go back and you look at that list of purchases from Apple and what jumps out at you are the fantastic design changes over the years... the 180C had a cool and rugged body, the Duo2300 was so utilitarian and the dock was the cool thing; the 1400 looked like a baby 3400, the Wall Street had the very cool black body, the follow-on models were different, thinner, keyboards were different colors; the iBooks were a new look (well, when first introduced) and kept changing from clamshells to what we have today (you know, before Apple stopped designing laptop looks) - although here as well, the line has not changed much from G4 to Intel.

Then the Ti came out, and while it looked cool, it was probably the worst Mac laptop I ever owned in terms of reliability. The body flexed so much that if you picked it up the wrong way, you could shut it down by twisting the frame.

When I saw the first aluminum PowerBook G4, I thought to myself, "man, that's cool looking, I gotta get me one of those." I haven't been able to say that about a Mac laptop for more than half a decade. I miss that!

That was essentially the last time Apple introduced a laptop that didn't look like the laptop that came before it. There were 7 speed bumps just to the PowerBook G4 15" - and all models looked exactly alike.

My God, I'm just so tired of this... but that's because I'm a repeat customer, and Apple's new switcher group of customers who are driving their sales haven't come back yet for their second helping.

Why wait 'til they do?
  • Reply 79 of 149
    Quote:

But if you actually have something to add to the conversation that isn't an empty pipe dream of wanting something different but have absolutely no clue what that could be then you aren't going to find many allies here.

I've added a lot here. Unlike you, I'm not looking for allies, I could care less if anyone agrees with me or not.

All I want is a Mac laptop that doesn't look exactly like the Mac laptop I bought before that Mac laptop, and exactly like the one I bought before that one, and exactly like the one I bought before that one.

You see, when I buy a new laptop, I'd like to think I'm actually buying a new laptop for my $3000, and not the same old same old same old thing we've all been force fed for the many years that have dragged on for this never ending product line.
  • Reply 80 of 149
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

That's true, and I've already mentioned that here - the switcher who are buying up the laptops recently - spurring sales, a great thing for us stockholders - have not come back yet to buy their 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th Mac laptop.

In my case, I started with a 165, went to 180C, had a Duo, a 1400c, a 3400c, a Wall Street, a Lombard, followed by a Pismo; then a Ti PowerBook, then an Al PowerBook G4, then an Aluminum Intel, then another Aluminum Intel, then another Aluminum Intel, then lastly, a BlackBook. In between, over the years, I bought my daughters a combined 14 various Pismo's, Clamshells and iBooks.

So, I have a right to complain!

You go back and you look at that list of purchases from Apple and what jumps out at you are the fantastic design changes over the years... the 180C had a cool and rugged body, the Duo2300 was so utilitarian and the dock was the cool thing; the 1400 looked like a baby 3400, the Wall Street had the very cool black body, the follow-on models were different, thinner, keyboards were different colors; the iBooks were a new look (well, when first introduced) and kept changing from clamshells to what we have today (you know, before Apple stopped designing laptop looks) - although here as well, the line has not changed much from G4 to Intel.

Then the Ti came out, and while it looked cool, it was probably the worst Mac laptop I ever owned in terms of reliability. The body flexed so much that if you picked it up the wrong way, you could shut it down by twisting the frame.

When I saw the first aluminum PowerBook G4, I thought to myself, "man, that's cool looking, I gotta get me one of those." I haven't been able to say that about a Mac laptop for more than half a decade. I miss that!

That was essentially the last time Apple introduced a laptop that didn't look like the laptop that came before it. There were 7 speed bumps just to the PowerBook G4 15" - and all models looked exactly alike.

My God, I'm just so tired of this... but that's because I'm a repeat customer, and Apple's new switcher group of customers who are driving their sales haven't come back yet for their second helping.

Why wait 'til they do?

It isn't really a legit complaint though. You're asking for what Apple has been critized for doing over the past few years, which is paying more attention to what their machines look like on the outside, than what they have on the inside. You want to make a fashion statement, even if you think it's only for your own eyes.

The only reason why I get annoyed at not knowing what will happen with a case change, is if I've purchased a machine, only to find it's been drastically changed three months later. To whit, I hate buying the last of the last generation. But, a majot case redesign usually, but not always means a major change in the interior as well.

You should wait until later this year when Nehalem is moved into the line on the Mac Pro side, and possibly, early next year when it moves elsewhere. That will likely be the choice. It's possible we will see case changes earlier for the MB, but not for anything else.