Does iDVD Support .MPG?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to burn an .mpg file in iDVD but cannot get it to work. Is .mpg not supported? Which video types are supported by iDVD?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I ran into that problem a week or so ago tree.

iDVD does not support MPEG-1 files directly. You can however import the file into iMovie then transfer the clip to iDVD. Be warned though, iMove will not import a file longer than 9.5 or 10 minutes. (At least it wouldn't for me) Also, depending on the pixel dimensions of your MPEG, image quality may suffer greatly when blown up to the standard 720 x 480 DV display size.

If you have Quicktime Pro you can also just export your MPEG-1 file as an MPEG-4 that you can then just drop into iDVD.

I'm by no means an expert, but hopefully that helps a bit.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ajonesajones Posts: 24member
    Another option (I'm doing it right now) is to open the MPEG files in Quicktime, and export as DV then pull them into iDVD...

I just happen to be doing this right now so I know it works...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    My MPG is apparently MPG 1 Muxed, and it doesn't matter what type of file I exported it into, still no sound coming out from the exported file.

I've also upgraded Quicktime to QuicktimePro, still not solved. Any other suggested solution?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    VisualHub is a great converter, though it's not freeware
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taikobelle View Post

My MPG is apparently MPG 1 Muxed, and it doesn't matter what type of file I exported it into, still no sound coming out from the exported file.

I've also upgraded Quicktime to QuicktimePro, still not solved. Any other suggested solution?

isquint, the free version of visual hub will convert the mpeg-1 into an mp4 with audio. Just go into the advanced section and set the resolution so it doesn't come out as 320x240. Quicktime only ever exports mpeg video.

If the .mpg is mpeg 2, you should do the same thing, though you can actually burn a mpeg 2 file directly inside idvd by replacing the files inside the project - might not always work but it saves a lot of time.