is wafting around.

more in a few.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>is wafting around.

more in a few.</strong><hr></blockquote>

me want. me hear and see on thinksecret there are tabs. me like tabs.
  • Reply 2 of 87
    There are issues with font display. I.E. AI doesn't display in Lucida, rather in Helvetica or some other sans-serif.

tabs are much slicker now. rollover on background tabs, loading indicator (spinning flower thingy) in each tab, names displayed in tabs are how you've got it labeled as a bookmark if the site is indeed a bookmark... etcetera.

very cool.
  • Reply 3 of 87
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>

me want. me hear and see on thinksecret there are tabs. me like tabs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

well get on your bloody iChat.
  • Reply 4 of 87
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

courtesy of jonathon
  • Reply 5 of 87
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member

"Argh, let's go on a little Safari!"

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 87
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    looks like shit.
  • Reply 7 of 87
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>looks like shit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

here we go again...
  • Reply 7 of 87
    Tabs should be toggleable deep inside a pref pane via a button labeled 'Bastardize 20 years of UI research'.
  • Reply 9 of 87
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

here we go again...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Looks like it.
  • Reply 10 of 87
    In a recent weblog Hyatt talks about tabs being a poweruser feature. Is Safari a poweruser browser? If it was, where are all the other poweruser features?

Hyatt and the Safari team are very confused and put off track by suggestions of tabbed browsing implementations. The browser is supposed to be a lightweight and simple browser...but now it's a little in between.

Not to mention that Camino has no future anymore now that it's main feature has been copied over to Safari.

What does Camino have left? Speed? The little increase in speed is barely a switching factor if you take in consideration all the other bundle of problems Camino brings with it.
  • Reply 11 of 87
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Just because it's powerful doesn't mean it has to be hard to use.
  • Reply 12 of 87
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Actually, I think tabs are a newbie feature more than a power user feature in one sense: window clutter.

I'm backpedalling when I say that I'm willing to compromise the idea that tabs could be used in a browser or other potential "single-window" app so long as they stay far, far away from apps like Quark, Photoshop, Word, etc. So I guess by that logic, and by what I see as the real justification of the brushed metal appearance would coincide with the use of tabs.
  • Reply 13 of 87
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Camino has something going for it that I find EVEN MORE USEFUL than tabs: the keychain! Safari's bookmarking is awesome, but Camino's keychain is an amazing feature that no other browser offers. It's a life-saver for me.
  • Reply 14 of 87
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's just the Apple Keychain. Safari uses it, but only for security that isn't embedded into the html. I don't know why this is, but OmniWeb works the same way. It's certainly possible for Safari to get this, if it's considered prudent. A lot of web pages embed passwords and stuff into the html precisely so it won't be collected by the browser, or in this case, the Keychain.app.
  • Reply 15 of 87
    ps: autocomplete from address book;

lots of contextual menu tab options;

and other niftiness.
  • Reply 16 of 87
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    What does the "Open in Tabs" menu item do?
  • Reply 17 of 87
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>What does the "Open in Tabs" menu item do?</strong><hr></blockquote>

well, having used v62 at work (would someone please link to v64, just briefly???), tabs work fine with your bookmarked pages, so long as you create a tab preemptively for a web page to be loaded into it. so you'd have to remember to hit command-t first to generate a new tab, then select a bookmark to load it into the tab. this "load into tab" effectively unifies the two.

i dunno. they solved one of the problems i had with tabs in a way (i.e. truncating of names), by using whatever naming convention is in the bookmark... so rather than it appearing as AppleInsider, it just shows as "AI." interesting.

i am glad they adopted the progress-thingy (what is it's official name?)... having "Loading" there in the tab just wasted even more precious tab real-estate.

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: rok ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 87
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Cool. Yeah I hope and bet Apple will add Keychain support to embedded HTML passwords. I mean if you don't want it to remember then just click 'No.'
  • Reply 19 of 87
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>What does the "Open in Tabs" menu item do?</strong><hr></blockquote>

it opens the entire folder's worth of pages in seperate tabs.
  • Reply 20 of 87
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>

it opens the entire folder's worth of pages in seperate tabs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

oh, um, yeah, that too. (maybe i should shut up until i actually get it to work with...)