Mac Pro, Illustrator CS3...very slow?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey I have been doing a lot of work in Illustrator lately and have noticed that it is REALLY laggy on my Mac Pro Dual 2.66 Ghz, 4GB ram. Has anyone else experienced this? Everything else seems to run fast as hell, even my copy of Cinema 4D, but for some reason Illustrator runs like crap. I make a new document and before I start the project (I wanted to see something) I held the spacebar (so the hand comes up) and dragged around my screen really quick, and it was extremely laggy, with a blank document. It took a while to catch up. Has anyone else noticed this, or is there a fix out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    just tried it. while it's not incredibly smooth it's not nearly as laggy as you're mentioning.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

just tried it. while it's not incredibly smooth it's not nearly as laggy as you're mentioning.

I wonder if its because I installed BetterHandles...which by the way...I think was a waste of money. They aren't that much better lol. I'll try to disable the plug-in and restart Illustrator and see what happens. If its that plug-in, I'm gonna throw a cyber rock at that guys head
  • Reply 3 of 10
    olgyokolgyok Posts: 3member
    hi, im also running a Mac Pro, but with 3GB ram, Illustrator runs fine, sometimes laggy, but not as bad as ur mentioning.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Same here... Mac Pro, 10.5.2, 4GB RAM, Illustrator runs quick with the occasional lag.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    OK, after playing around with illustrator I figured out that it was my tablet that does it. When I used the regular mouse it didn't lag, but when I use the Wacom tablet for some reason, it lags a little bit. It's not a problem I guess. Inactivating the plugin seemed to help the tablet out a little bit. So I just won't use the plug anymore as well. Thanks for the help though!!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

OK, after playing around with illustrator I figured out that it was my tablet that does it. When I used the regular mouse it didn't lag, but when I use the Wacom tablet for some reason, it lags a little bit. It's not a problem I guess. Inactivating the plugin seemed to help the tablet out a little bit. So I just won't use the plug anymore as well. Thanks for the help though!!

no problems here using my wacom intuos3. i have had lag issues with my wacom before. i think it's due wo the different usb plugs. i don't plug it in to my hub anymore and only plug it directly into my tower.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

no problems here using my wacom intuos3. i have had lag issues with my wacom before. i think it's due wo the different usb plugs. i don't plug it in to my hub anymore and only plug it directly into my tower.

Yeah I have the Intuos3 SE and it's plugged into a USB hub. Maybe I'll try plugging it directly into the tower and see if that helps.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I've noticed that Apple Wireless mice can be a bit laggy as well... and not just in Illustrator.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    lazymaclazymac Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Hey I have been doing a lot of work in Illustrator lately and have noticed that it is REALLY laggy on my Mac Pro Dual 2.66 Ghz, 4GB ram. Has anyone else experienced this? Everything else seems to run fast as hell, even my copy of Cinema 4D, but for some reason Illustrator runs like crap. I make a new document and before I start the project (I wanted to see something) I held the spacebar (so the hand comes up) and dragged around my screen really quick, and it was extremely laggy, with a blank document. It took a while to catch up. Has anyone else noticed this, or is there a fix out there?

I had this exact problem...I never use the MAC side of my laptop, but was in need... I noticed all the same things you were talking about and removed the driver for the tablet and downloaded earlier version and it fixed the problem!

You probably know this but there is a remover application in the wacom folder within the applications folder. I would remove all traces of the driver using this before installing an older version of the driver.

Good luck.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    skvikiskviki Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LAzyMac View Post

I had this exact problem...I never use the MAC side of my laptop, but was in need... I noticed all the same things you were talking about and removed the driver for the tablet and downloaded earlier version and it fixed the problem!

You probably know this but there is a remover application in the wacom folder within the applications folder. I would remove all traces of the driver using this before installing an older version of the driver.

Good luck.

Which version of the driver was causing this trouble and which version did you use afterwards?

I'm having the same problem and was very dissapointed because I thought that my last gen. Powerbook G4 was just too slow for the intuos3. It just seemed odd because it worked well in Photoshop ...