Apple buys P.A Semi ..

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
For those who said that Apple would never bring microprocessors in-house, the just bought PA Semi. what would they use their designs for ? most definite the iPhone. what do you guys think?

http://www.forbes.com/technology/200...0422apple.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghstmars View Post

For those who said that Apple would never bring microprocessors in-house, the just bought PA Semi. what would they use their designs for ? most definite the iPhone. what do you guys think?

http://www.forbes.com/technology/200...0422apple.html

Goodnight, Intel Atom. The PPC is a very efficient core.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    What about the story about the new apple devices ? running PWRficient chips ? dual core 64 bit consuming only 5 to 12 watts?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

What about the story about the new apple devices ? running PWRficient chips ? dual core 64 bit consuming only 5 to 12 watts?

And that's for the whole set up. Looks like its completely system on chip.

And before anyone tries to bring this up, no we are not moving back to the PowerPC.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I wouldn't call it most definate for the iPhone although the technology will most likely find its way there. Apple purchased a lot of talent and some IP. Dan Dobberpuhl is well regarded.

Likely is that it will use this to cross license to Samsung and Intel at an advantage rather than for apple to try to build it's own chip line for the iPhone. Sun and IBM do okay with the Sparc and PPC but they have a LOT more investment than one boutique designer. Even then, the economies of scale have favored the Intels and Samsungs of the world.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I wouldn't call it most definate for the iPhone although the technology will most likely find its way there. Apple purchased a lot of talent and some IP. Dan Dobberpuhl is well regarded.

Likely is that it will use this to cross license to Samsung and Intel at an advantage rather than for apple to try to build it's own chip line for the iPhone. Sun and IBM do okay with the Sparc and PPC but they have a LOT more investment than one boutique designer. Even then, the economies of scale have favored the Intels and Samsungs of the world.

That's interesting. Could Apple license some of the technology for special chip designs only available to Apple? That may be how Apple can achieve and maintain a competitive advantage in the cut throat smartphone market.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    If this chip is as good as the specs say, they'd be stupid not to offer it to other customers and other Apple devices.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    A set top device like the Apple TV, or some sort of tablet UMPC could be what this is intended for.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That's interesting. Could Apple license some of the technology for special chip designs only available to Apple? That may be how Apple can achieve and maintain a competitive advantage in the cut throat smartphone market.

I would think that Samsung might do that given the kind of customer that Apple represents. Intel, I would think not so much. Still though, I would guess that just getting a price break from Samsung or Intel because some of Apple's IP is used gives Apple a nice advantage over other smartphone makers.

All this is just conjecture of course...who knows, they may take these designs and get one of the independent fabs to build a gazillion of them just for themselves. It would be interesting if they did that over partnering. Interesting in the "Chinese proverb" sense I would think.