Apple posts profit of 1.05B, ships nearly 2.3 million Macs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

... I myself frequently get excited in the morning...

me too
  • Reply 22 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So Apple is still a computer company after all. I am pleased to know that.

They always have been. Everything they have done has increased Mac sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markspain View Post

Good grief. You mean that, in the UK, you use the word "Apple" as a plural noun?

Sure sounds strange on this side of the Atlantic.

It may sound strange to Americans, but it's the correct nomenclature for British English.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They're counting sales. They're not counting income, and perhaps, revenue. That wasn't too clear, as I didn't listen to the actual call this time.

I was sure that they said that they are reporting iPhone expenses and revenue sharing for the whole quarter but no revenues from March 6th. It is confusing, why report number of iPhones sold but not revenues?! If I remember correctly (someone can verify it please) they were asked during the call if the 1.7 mil iPhones were only for the period ending March 6th and they said yes. Not 100% sure.

Nevermind, just checked. It is 1.7 mil for the whole quarter
  • Reply 24 of 33
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

. Everything they have done has increased Mac sales.

I'm sorry, but that's a bit outrageous. You can't directly correlate everything they have done to the increase in Mac sales. Come on, did the $19.99 charge for 5 apps on the iPodTouch increase Mac sales? Put down the Kool aid please. I think of you as a person of reason .
  • Reply 25 of 33
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm sorry, but that's a bit outrageous. You can't directly correlate everything they have done to the increase in Mac sales. Come on, did the $19.99 charge for 5 apps on the iPodTouch increase Mac sales? Put down the Kool aid please. I think of you as a person of reason .

Smartypants.

• Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I was implying the iPod and iPhone increase Mac sales. The "halo effect" as people like to call it. Since lkrupp's comment parrots those who say Apple is no longer interested in making macs, only with handheld devices. Their fears were then compounded when Apple drops Computer from it's name. But that simply isn't true.

One could easily argue that supplying new SW?free or otherwise?to their PMPs will increase its sales, and lead to more switchers to Mac. Truth is, one should never use an absolute.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    There was one forum member that was really pushing hard on the idea that only 1M iphones would be sold this last quarter.

Anyway, it's all looking pretty good, maybe a bit ahead of the average of the analyst expectations on several items. Still growing on ipods, but not as much as they used to.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Truth is, one should never use an absolute.

You are completely right!
  • Reply 29 of 33
    absolutely stunned (but not actually that surprised) to hear on the radio this morning about Apples gains in Mac sales, but that "its not good, they (Apple) arn't actually doing that well"

I kid you not, out perform the market with the highest margins for a computer hardware company and you are in trouble! no wonder there's a world recession
  • Reply 30 of 33
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

absolutely stunned (but not actually that surprised) to hear on the radio this morning about Apples gains in Mac sales, but that "its not good, they (Apple) arn't actually doing that well"

I kid you not, out perform the market with the highest margins for a computer hardware company and you are in trouble! no wonder there's a world recession

What program was it, I wonder. I heard a rather complementary piece on NPR's Marketplace Morning Report (here in the US). The gist was that they had record profits even in the slowing economy and that iPod sales beat expectation. The negative was that Apple's own guidance for the next quarter was disappointing, but they allowed that Apple is usually conservative in that arena anyway...
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell!

OMG, Apple made a profit and expects a flat next qtr!

Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell!

I'll take $75 for my shares...the sky is falling... I need to find a tall building or bridge.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!

(Well, at least my iPod doesn't use PlaysForSure music.)

/
  • Reply 32 of 33
    So far Apple is up a few points in pre-market trading.

• Reply 33 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

What program was it, I wonder. I heard a rather complementary piece on NPR's Marketplace Morning Report (here in the US). The gist was that they had record profits even in the slowing economy and that iPod sales beat expectation. The negative was that Apple's own guidance for the next quarter was disappointing, but they allowed that Apple is usually conservative in that arena anyway...

Last night, even the ticker on CNN had several lines about Apple's sales. That surprised me!