Notes of interest from Apple's Q208 quarterly conference call

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Over a third of companies in the Fortune 500, and over 400 higher education institutions, have applied for iPhone developer status.

That is impressive, good news news for the future of my holdings.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Gotta love that X-percent growth!

I was expecting X+1 percent growth.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Yahoo Business confirms the 1.7 million number (but not the "1,703,000 million" one... ):

The company sold 10.6 million iPods during the quarter, one percent higher than last year, and 1.7 million iPhones.

Far as whether Apple can make their goal... I dunno. As I already said, getting the 3G model out soon is important, as is launching well in the key markets of Japan, Korea, China, Italy, and Spain. The iPhone 2.0 software, and also how much Apple can expand the appeal of the iPhone to business, is also key.

So, I dunno... I think the matter is still up in the air. Apple will have execute well down the line to make it. Realistically, the current odds I'd give them would be 50-50. Maybe slightly better.

But yet again they keep on being confident of selling the amount so I'm sure they would do everything to get that amount sold, I wouldn't even be surprised if they sell more than that, which is why they seem so confident.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

How do you infer that out of that?

In fact, Apple selling 1.7 million iPhones in Q1 isn't so great, since that'd be well below pace to meet Apple's own goal of 10 million sold in calendar 2008 (I'll let others argue over the 'calendar 2008' part... all I know is that it's definitely for a 12-month period of time).

3G ASAP, a solid Asian launch, and launching in more large Euro countries (Italy, Spain) are all key to Apple making their 10 million goal, in any case.

But they said in the article above, that they exceeded their own internal expectations for the iphone for the quarter, how can you determine which number of iphones is great or not, Apple is happy with how much they sold.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

In fact, Apple selling 1.7 million iPhones in Q1 isn't so great, since that'd be well below pace to meet Apple's own goal of 10 million sold in calendar 2008 (I'll let others argue over the 'calendar 2008' part... all I know is that it's definitely for a 12-month period of time).

3G ASAP, a solid Asian launch, and launching in more large Euro countries (Italy, Spain) are all key to Apple making their 10 million goal, in any case.

The iPhone 2.0 software will be enough to boost sales to their goal of 10 million in 2008. Corporations will start buying en masse where they once bought Blackberry devices. I love my Blackberry though.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The iPhone 2.0 software will be enough to boost sales to their goal of 10 million in 2008. Corporations will start buying en masse where they once bought Blackberry devices. I love my Blackberry though.

I think with a 3G iPhone, a speed increase on at&t's network... we just might make that 10 mil after all!
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think with a 3G iPhone, a speed increase on at&t's network... we just might make that 10 mil after all!

I still think a 3G iPhone with v2.0 and the assumed markets opening this year will lead to 10M units sold in the last 6 months of the year.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

But yet again they keep on being confident of selling the amount so I'm sure they would do everything to get that amount sold, I wouldn't even be surprised if they sell more than that, which is why they seem so confident.

Uhh... when's the last time you read a press release or a statement from a company where they didn't seem confident?

It's pretty rare, and usually reserved for circumstances where a company is crashing and burning beyond a shadow of a doubt (not that Apple is). And even then, they're just being honest to avoid the appearance of being utterly clueless and out of touch.

Everybody spins, if they can.

• Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I still think a 3G iPhone with v2.0 and the assumed markets opening this year will lead to 10M units sold in the last 6 months of the year.

That is really optimistic. I'll be happy if they simply make their 10M goal for the whole year.

• Reply 30 of 37
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

It is official, 10 Million iPhone for calender year 2008. This was clearly stated during the call.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You do have to keep it in perspective. 1.73 million is not much less than what they sold over Christmas. And isn't that bad for the quarter right after Christmas when consumer spending is expected to slow down.

The next quarter should see even lower sales. Probably around 1.3 million iPhones sold. That would leave two quarters to sell about 7 million phones. Apple must really have something good waiting.

The iPhone 2.0, 200,000 potential apps, and deals with more countries. The iPhone will need to sell nearly twice per quarter what it currently sells.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You do have to keep it in perspective. 1.73 million is not much less than what they sold over Christmas. And isn't that bad for the quarter right after Christmas when consumer spending is expected to slow down.

The next quarter should see even lower sales. Probably around 1.3 million iPhones sold. That would leave two quarters to sell about 7 million phones. Apple must really have something good waiting.

The iPhone 2.0, 200,000 potential apps, and deals with more countries. The iPhone will need to sell nearly twice per quarter what it currently sells.

I think they will sell more than 1.7M iPhones this quarter. I think their will be a surge of sales after v2.0 is released, bu tI think the real surge will come from the 3G version being released the same day. I'm going for a Friday at 5pm release which will give a solid weekend of sales which may be another stand inline event not too off from the first iPhone launch.

I also expect to see AT&T subscribers to increase. Besides those waiting for a 3G iPhone I suspect there is another market for those who will be happy with the EDGE version so long as it costs less than the current $400 pricepoint.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yeah, you see what I'm talking about... Apple's really going to have to pick up the pace a lot to make their goal.

I'm with Solip on this one... Apple releases the 3G iPhone on Friday, June 27, in a repeat of what they did last year. It helps with the Q2 numbers, for one thing, 'cept this time, you get a stampede of customers in the US and Europe. Double the fun.

And not only the Euro nations they've already launched in, but also two big countries new to the iPhone that will apparently launch with the 3G model... Italy (which is more heavily 3G than the rest of Europe, so that makes sense), and Spain (not sure what the hold up was there).

Heck, Asia even might be in on the game at end of Q2, though Apple's continuing problems securing a deal in China probably scuttles a simultaneous Japan/Korea/China launch. Maybe it'll be staggered over there, like Europe. But if even one of the 'Big Three' Asian cellphone nations gets to launch by end of Q2, that'll help the numbers too. Not to mention India, at some point.

So perhaps iPhone Q2 sales won't be as abysmal as the 1.3 million you suggest, even with the US recession deepening. We can hope.

Thing is, decent Q2 numbers just steal from Q3, leaving the goal as difficult to reach as ever. Something fundamental has to change to pull the demand curve up, and to me, that means 3G (plus the other major features Apple left out, and/or the 2.0 software update), aggressive pricing in ALL major markets, and making the iPhone a legitimate contender against the Blackberry in the biz market. That plus finally officially being in all major markets... unlockers/gray market only goes so far, regardless the crazy numbers some are speculating.

It'll all come, but will it all come in time? Tune in next quarter to the continuing soap opera...

• Reply 34 of 37
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I'm with Solip on this one... Apple releases the 3G iPhone on Friday, June 27, in a repeat of what they did last year. It helps with the Q2 numbers, for one thing, 'cept this time, you get a stampede of customers in the US and Europe. Double the fun. So perhaps iPhone Q2 sales won't be as abysmal as the 1.3 million you suggest, even with the US recession deepening. We can hope.

Yeah I forgot Apple released the iPhone on the last day of the quarter last year. I agree that should pretty much save that quarters sales this year. Without that April - June wouldn't look too good.

Quote:

Thing is, decent Q2 numbers just steal from Q3, leaving the goal as difficult to reach as ever.

There may be a significant number of people like myself who will sell the old phone and buy the new one.

Quote:

Something fundamental has to change to pull the demand curve up, and to me, that means 3G (plus the other major features Apple left out, and/or the 2.0 software update)

I would say the quality of the apps are what will drive iPhone demand in the consumer and enterprise space. The apps that Apple ship with the phone, the 200,000 potential developers, and the thousands of web apps. By June their will likely be over 300,000 developers. Those are what will be most important. 3G is just an enabler, a data conduit for the apps.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    The numbers I find astonishing are the retail figures, revenue up 74% and visitors up 57%, and they said in the call that this was in both the (recession beleagured) USA as well as international. All of thiks can't be due to trafficking in unlocked iPhones. So much for the pundits who say people won't buy "luxury" goods in a recession.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

So much for the pundits who say people won't buy "luxury" goods in a recession.

The pundits may be partially right. People are probably holding back on buying as many luxury items and/or going for cheaper luxury items. At only $400 the iPhone is very inexpensive status symbol and luxury item. Plus, the usefulness of the item far outweighs its "ornament-ness" making it a more justifiable purchase.

Just a theory

• Reply 37 of 37
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

The numbers I find astonishing are the retail figures, revenue up 74% and visitors up 57%, and they said in the call that this was in both the (recession beleagured) USA as well as international. All of thiks can't be due to trafficking in unlocked iPhones. So much for the pundits who say people won't buy "luxury" goods in a recession.

I said three months ago that there is nothing wrong with the economy. Just because the financial sector screwed up doesn't mean that everyone else did. The problem was people did panic and analyst did their job very well making sure that they continue to panic. I also said that earnings will be strong for Apple and other innovative corporations. Some poster started bashing me arguing that unemployment is higher than before and people cannot afford to pay their mortgages. The real problem will face retailers and manufacturers who never move forward and introduce new and innovative products. When I go shopping I get bored really quick, most retailers have goods more than a year old, nothing new. People have money to spend, but they don't want to spend it on old junk.