Imac USB ports not working

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i, i have a 24" intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz imac aluminum 1 gb ram.

I first noticed this problem when i plugged in my ipod, it would not open itunes, appear in itunes, the desktop or finder. i managed to resolve this problem by reinstalling itunes and plugging in my ipod before i turned on the computer, but i can not change anything as it gets stuck while syncing with my ipod and says that my ipod is disconnected, i reconnect but the ipod not not appear on the screen.

Then i plugged my PSP in (in usb mode) and it would not appear in the desktop or in finder.( it has worked before)

Then i tried my memory sticks. the light didn't appear o either of them and they didn't pop up on the screen or in finder.

i have all the latest software updates and firmware updates. i only noticed it started going wrong yesterday, but i haven't plugged in any of those devices for a long time.

All the other devices connected using usb ports are working ( mouse, keyboard, USB record deck, printer.)

any help would be much appreciated as i love macs, and it is really bugging that i can't use it for what i want to use it for

Matt**

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by egghead1993 View Post

i, i have a 24" intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz imac aluminum 1 gb ram.

I first noticed this problem when i plugged in my ipod, it would not open itunes, appear in itunes, the desktop or finder. i managed to resolve this problem by reinstalling itunes and plugging in my ipod before i turned on the computer, but i can not change anything as it gets stuck while syncing with my ipod and says that my ipod is disconnected, i reconnect but the ipod not not appear on the screen.

Then i plugged my PSP in (in usb mode) and it would not appear in the desktop or in finder.( it has worked before)

Then i tried my memory sticks. the light didn't appear o either of them and they didn't pop up on the screen or in finder.

i have all the latest software updates and firmware updates. i only noticed it started going wrong yesterday, but i haven't plugged in any of those devices for a long time.

All the other devices connected using usb ports are working ( mouse, keyboard, USB record deck, printer.)

any help would be much appreciated as i love macs, and it is really bugging that i can't use it for what i want to use it for

Matt**

I had a similar problem with a 22" ACD. The last straw was when the computer wouldn't go to sleep. It would start to power down and then power right back up again. The local Apple store sent the display back to Apple. It came back good as new. This happened several years ago, and if memory serves, the genius said it was a bad "inverter". Does that sound right to you techies?