iMac rumored for next week; new iPhone SDK; Apple updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128
    c64c64 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dude blu-ray already exists in PCs- why not Macs? Hello!

And don't say Apple is overpriced- you will get a lot a s%=t for that here- trust me.

You don't consider $500 for 4gb ddr2 memory pricey and i don't think its feasible to add a blu-ray player with imac pricing when blu-ray players are a little more expensive than a $30 dvd burner.Like I said I'm buying a Imac next thursday so I'm not bashing apple.I think that anybody knows anything about hardware has to admit that there hard ware is overpriced.
  • Reply 22 of 128
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

It's still too soon for Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray is an expensive option for at least the next year. Apple definitely should make it available in the MacPros, but not the iMacs. Third parties provide external drives for those that need/want one.

- Jasen.

It's not an expensive option for the Mac Pro, at least.

Years ago, when I bought my Digital Audio Powermac, the 2x Pioneer DVD recorder that came in the machine at NO additional price over the equivalent machine just six months earlier, was selling for $1,000 as an internal drive by itself. My Mac cost $3,400 with it.

As internal BD recorders are selling for $600 today, I don't see the problem as being cost related.

Its a matter of philosophy. Apple doesn't want to include one. It's that simple.

They likely will include one once they decide they no longer have a choice. But, they really want downloads to be the market. And I think the want editing to be done for downloard, rather than for BD publication.

That's a foolish attitude, as those doing these projects will simply buy PC's to do it instead of Macs, and Apple's own software. Apple has no control over that area, though they would like to.
  • Reply 23 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c64 View Post

You don't consider $500 for 4gb ddr2 memory pricey and i don't think its feasible to add a blu-ray player with imac pricing when blu-ray players are a little more expensive than a $30 dvd burner.Like I said I'm buying a Imac next thursday so I'm not bashing apple.I think that anybody knows anything about hardware has to admit that there hard ware is overpriced.

An internal BD player sells for about $170. Not a "little more" than a DVD recorder.
  • Reply 24 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

An internal BD player sells for about $170. Not a "little more" than a DVD recorder.

UH,I was being sarcasticI didn't think I would have to put in a price of a blu-ray player,just thought it was common knowledge
  • Reply 25 of 128
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

It's still too soon for Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray is an expensive option for at least the next year. Apple definitely should make it available in the MacPros, but not the iMacs. Third parties provide external drives for those that need/want one.

- Jasen.

Too soon? It should be an option now. It already old and the format war is over.
  • Reply 26 of 128
    Quote:

Its a matter of philosophy. Apple doesn't want to include one. It's that simple.

Sorry but that's just bad reasoning. The first iMac DVD SE sold like hot cakes. It would only sell more iMacs. Apple should simply have one as an option at the very least - it 's mid 2008 already!
  • Reply 27 of 128
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Quote:

Sorry but that's just bad reasoning. The first iMac DVD SE sold like hot cakes. It would only sell more iMacs. Apple should simply have one as an option at the very least - it 's mid 2008 already!

whether bad or not, it's true.
  • Reply 28 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

1. HD is extremely difficult to encode. How long does it take to encode a regular DVD these days on iMac? 2x real time? Think 4 to 8 times more. Basically, it will take you one whole day to encode a 2-hour BR.

So then Apple should write code to encode it faster and make their computers more productive- not spend all their resources on cellphones.
  • Reply 29 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

whether bad or not, it's true.

How do you know what Apple wants or doesn't want.? Are you on it's board of directors?
  • Reply 30 of 128
    Quote:

How do you know what Apple wants or doesn't want.? Are you on it's board of directors?

i wish. neither is melgross, i think...
  • Reply 31 of 128
    Quote:

It's not bad reasoning. It's pretty good reasoning.

If Apple wanted to put one in, they would have. They don't want to, so they haven't. I don't see how you can come up with another reason. Price isn't a good one. Apple could easily eat a profit like they did with their first DVD recorder, as I mentioned.

Supposedly, they are doing that with the SSD option for the Air now as well.

If all Apple cared about was the sales generated by using a BD player, or recorder, don't you think we would have had one before now?
  • Reply 32 of 128
    Quote:

You say my reasoning is bad.

But, your reasoning is bad, because, as we all have noticed, Apple DOESN'T have a machine with an optional, or an installed, BD drive. Therefore, your statements to the contrary, Apple doesn't want to put one into their machines at this time, at the very least.

That's pretty obvious.

You haven't given any real reason otherwise. Saying that it would sell more machines would be good?if Apple had one. But, they don't.

Since, I think most of us would agree that price isn't a major issue, especially for an option, where Apple has never shied from asking high prices, you have to give a good reason why Apple hasn't offered one.

You've only, in response to me, stated that first iMac DVD sold like hotcakes.

That supports MY contention that Apple doesn't want to put a BD drive in the machine. It in no way supports your contention, which is, what exactly?
  • Reply 33 of 128
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    Is a Matte Screen Option to much to ask for?

• Reply 34 of 128
    Quote:

i wish. neither is melgross, i think...

Nope. My contacts at Apple are at a much lower level sadly enough.

You notice though, that while he questions our status at Apple for giving reasons why they have not included a drive, he also gives reasons, though I'm not sure what they are.

But, he's not on the Board of Directors either.
  • Reply 35 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Is a Matte Screen Option to much to ask for?

While it may not be too much to ask for, it may be too much to expect.
  • Reply 36 of 128
    Quote:

If all Apple cared about was the sales generated by using a BD player, or recorder, don't you think we would have had one before now?

Dude,apple is not going to cut into there profit with a blu-ray player now.there going to wait until they drop in price and Blu-ray players aren't in the average pc yet,there in higher end pc's.Apple is not going to mess with the price of the imac .There not going to increase the imac price for a blu-ray and there not going to sacrifice there profit.Apple is in the best position they have ever been in.The release of windows ME,oopsI mean Vista has given a huge boost to Apple so there not going to rock the boat by increasing prices there just going to milk out the hard ware they have.The average person does not care about 10 to 20% performance increases.They just care about simple friendly computers.Take for example blu-ray,do you think the average person cares about blu-ray?Not until they drop below $100.

Also, a blu-ray burner goes for about $350(Which they would get for about 250 or so and you know thats not going to happen)and they don't make blu-ray payers that burn dvd's,so what kind of blu-ray drive would they upgrade to?
  • Reply 37 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c64 View Post

Dude,apple is not going to cut into there profit with a blu-ray player now.there going to wait until they drop in price and Blu-ray players aren't in the average pc yet,there in higher end pc's.Apple is not going to mess with the price of the imac .There not going to increase the imac price for a blu-ray and there not going to sacrifice there profit.Apple is in the best position they have ever been in.The release of windows ME,oopsI mean Vista has given a huge boost to Apple so there not going to rock the boat by increasing prices there just going to milk out the hard ware they have.The average person does not care about 10 to 20% performance increases.They just care about simple friendly computers.Take for example blu-ray,do you think the average person cares about blu-ray?Not until they drop below $100.

Dude, don't be simplistic. And this has nothing to do with Vista.

If you have read all that I wrote, you would see that Apple has done this before when they WANTED to get a new technology into their machines. They don't here, and thats why they're not. And they could very easily offer it as an upgrade, as I've also said, without cutting into their profits?IF they wanted to, which obviously, they don't.

I was also talking primarily about the Mac Pro, where the price isn't really an issue, especially for an upgrade.
  • Reply 38 of 128
    Quote:

If you have read all that I wrote, you would see that Apple has done this before when they WANTED to get a new technology into their machines. They don't here, and thats why they're not. And they could very easily offer it as an upgrade, as I've also said, without cutting into their profits?IF they wanted to, which obviously, they don't.

I was also talking primarily about the Mac Pro, where the price isn't really an issue, especially for an upgrade.

all that you have written ties in with what i have heard. re: Mac Pro, why include B-R if they don't intend to support it in pro-apps?

http://www.gopetition.com/online/18632.html
  • Reply 39 of 128
    Quote:

all that you have written ties in with what i have heard. re: Mac Pro, why include B-R if they don't intend to support it in pro-apps?

http://www.gopetition.com/online/18632.html

Yes. I agree totally.

It's what I'm hearing in the industry. There have been feelers out to Apple from some very prominent people, a few of whom I happen to know, and they're getting no response.

Apple can't move the industry over by themselves. People will just migrate over to where they can do the work they're contracted to do.

Movie companies, who are already unhappy withApple, will lead the move. They are demanding BD support now, and it's up to Apple to give it.

This is one of the times that Apple actually moves against its customers.
  • Reply 40 of 128
    Quote:

I agree,mac pro would probably be the logical choice for blu-ray,but I don't see the advantage of it right now.What is it going to be used for,blank discs are still $20 a pop and I don't see it being used for backup.So what are people going to do watch movies!I don't think so.There's no demand for it.I don't think apple is going to take it upon themselves to jump start a format thats been out for over a year and rubbed people the wrong way over a lengthy format war.