iMac rumored for next week; new iPhone SDK; Apple updates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Blu-ray isn't DVD.

You're asking Apple to gleefully accept adding AACS, HDCP and BD+ support in the OS and hardware. Blu-ray's too small in market penetration for that. Where's the Blu-ray slot loading drives? There's like one model that I know of which I believe is Panasonic. You need more vendors than one.

Intel just so happens to be adding the AACS, HDCP, BD+ support to a forthcoming Bridge chip (ICH-10 I think) later this year. Why not just wait and let Intel do the heavy lifting? Very few people's livelyhood depends on Blu-ray delivery.

I'd rather Apple focus on decent overall performance and improvements in the iMac lineup.
  • Reply 42 of 128
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c64 View Post

I agree,mac pro would probably be the logical choice for blu-ray,but I don't see the advantage of it right now.What is it going to be used for,blank discs are still $20 a pop and I don't see it being used for backup.So what are people going to do watch movies!I don't think so.There's no demand for it.I don't think apple is going to take it upon themselves to jump start a format thats been out for over a year and rubbed people the wrong way over a lengthy format war.

Apple, in the mid '90's, was the first computer manufacturer to put, first CD ROM's into their line. then recorders. At the time CD-R's were $20 a pop. Today, that 20 would be about$28.40. A lot of money. That didn't stop Apple.

When they put the first DVD recorder in the D A Powermac, the disks cost $20 a pop. In todays money, $23.90, still a fair amount.

A 25 GB BD-R costs $13, if you look around. A 50 GB BD-R costs about $20.

There is demand for it, even though you may not demand it. People WILL watch movies on it. And, I and quite a lot of others would just LOVE to use it to back up our digital photo's and videos. I'm not just talking about Pro's, who now do this on DL DVD's, but amateurs as well. That's a lot of people. But, industry uses DVD back-up as well, and would (and are) move to BD.

So, what's your point?
  • Reply 43 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Blu-ray isn't DVD.

You're asking Apple to gleefully accept adding AACS, HDCP and BD+ support in the OS and hardware. Blu-ray's too small in market penetration for that. Where's the Blu-ray slot loading drives? There's like one model that I know of which I believe is Panasonic. You need more vendors than one.

Intel just so happens to be adding the AACS, HDCP, BD+ support to a forthcoming Bridge chip (ICH-10 I think) later this year. Why not just wait and let Intel do the heavy lifting? Very few people's livelyhood depends on Blu-ray delivery.

I'd rather Apple focus on decent overall performance and improvements in the iMac lineup.

It's nice that Intel's adding this, and it will help, but it's not required, as you know. All that Apple needs is the software, which is, after all, what they're best at, and the HDCP output in their video. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have the software support worked out, and waiting should they want to use it. As far as a card for the Mac Pro goes, well the 8800 already comes with HDCP support, at least on the PC versions.

None of the media Apple supported in the past was widely supported before Apple did it themselves. Well, CD was becoming popular for music playback, but that's all. Apple jump started the entire computer industry on using that format. In fact, many think it was responsible for the large rise in consumer computer purchases during that time, as it solved a major software delivery problem that was cropping up, as well as allowing games on a computer to expand beyond the somewhat primitive offerings that came before.
  • Reply 44 of 128
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Here is what I think regarding Blue-Ray:

1. Apple considers Blue-Ray movies a competition to AppleTV and iTunes HD movie rental and sales. Adding Blue-Ray to consumer level Macs will give people an option to buy/rent BR movies instead of using iTunes. Quality aside.

2. Apple latest iMovie release clearly shows that Apple is pushing for digital movies format even for home users.

3. Do you really want to watch an HD movie on a 24" iMac? Do you really need to backup to a 25 GB disc while you can get a 500 GB external hard drive for less than $150?

Apple is still not supporting Time Machine using USB hard drive through AE just to make people buy more Time Capsule. What make you think that Apple will let BR eat their share in HD rental now that HD-DVD is out of their way?

I think Apple will introduce BR but only for Mac Pro for now. Even if there is market for Blue-Ray, which I double because we cannot see an affordable BR player, Apple always do what they think is best for them.
  • Reply 45 of 128
    damonrdamonr Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c64 View Post

they don't make blu-ray payers that burn dvd's,so what kind of blu-ray drive would they upgrade to?

Pioneer for a start makes exactly that: pioneer-bdc-202

I assume there are others too.
  • Reply 46 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How do you know what Apple wants or doesn't want.? Are you on it's board of directors?

and hows your tech company doing? did it earn 1.7 billion last quarter?

it "seems" obvious that with all your knowledge and understanding of how a company like apple should operate that the company you run must be making the big money...

\
  • Reply 47 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Here is what I think regarding Blue-Ray:

1. Apple considers Blue-Ray movies a competition to AppleTV and iTunes HD movie rental and sales. Adding Blue-Ray to consumer level Macs will give people an option to buy/rent BR movies instead of using iTunes. Quality aside.

2. Apple latest iMovie release clearly shows that Apple is pushing for digital movies format even for home users.

3. Do you really want to watch an HD movie on a 24" iMac? Do you really need to backup to a 25 GB disc while you can get a 500 GB external hard drive for less than $150?

Apple is still not supporting Time Machine using USB hard drive through AE just to make people buy more Time Capsule. What make you think that Apple will let BR eat their share in HD rental now that HD-DVD is out of their way?

I think Apple will introduce BR but only for Mac Pro for now. Even if there is market for Blue-Ray, which I double because we cannot see an affordable BR player, Apple always do what they think is best for them.

I agree with almost everything you're saying here. The only thing I question is the watching of movies. Both my wife, daughter, and also myself upon occasion, enjoy watching movies on our computers.

I know of others as well.

I really don't believe that we are the only pocket of people who do. It doesn't have to be a majority. Since when should Apple only cater to the majority of its customers, when the service does not detract from what the others want to do? This is true especially when it can be offered as an option, just like bigger HDD's, memory, wireless keyboards, and one time for the iMac, an upgraded gpu. That way, Apple could also gauge the demand for the feature for future inclusion as a standard device.

But, other uses are immediately useful.
  • Reply 48 of 128
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's long-awaited iMac refresh ...systems that haven't been updated since August of 2007

Long awaited? - a whole 8 months and people have apparently been losing sleep and have been agonising over the protracted delay?

It's just not good enough, anything longer than 3 weeks between hardware updates is just slack and totally unacceptable. You tell 'em AI ! We shouldn't have to suffer like this.

Quote:

Geeksugar.

The female technology site refers to "Apple tipsters"

Ok AI, so what you gonna do? Obviously you have been outgunned in the information harvesting game by the Matta Hari like femmes fatales of your rival.

It's just not fair, those chicks with their low cut tops, short skirts and high heels. Deviously lying in wait for unsuspecting Apple nerdgineers at the popular watering holes near infinite loop. A few drinks, a bit of nookie and some post coital pillow talk and voila!, a scoop.

I present to you, the new-look AI:

Soon to be appearing in a bar near Apple HQ. To be perfectly frank, I think it still needs a bit of work. Hormone treatments and bit of surgery might help.
  • Reply 49 of 128
    The UK's largest trade-only IT distributor 'Ingram Micro' have today slashed the prices on their entire iMac line, presumably to clear stocks - this NEVER happens on their Apple products without good reason.

Penryn iMac's ahoy.
  • Reply 50 of 128
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    In speaking with a friend, he / she said the new iMac's looked a lot like the new air Mac?

Not sure how that would look at 20"?

Of course this same person said they were working on a model that looked a lot like the iPod Touch ?

Skip
  • Reply 51 of 128
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

it "seems" obvious that with all your knowledge and understanding of how a company like apple should operate that the company you run must be making the big money...

\

Asking for an add-on option to an iMac is hardly dictating how Apple run its business!

I also make no pretension as to knowing what Apple wants or plans other than that it would be nice to have a blu- ray drive added to an iMac. You might not want one but that doesn't mean that others shouldn't have that option.

Please reply to the thread and not make sarcastic personal attacks.
  • Reply 52 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I agree with almost everything you're saying here. The only thing I question is the watching of movies. Both my wife, daughter, and also myself upon occasion, enjoy watching movies on our computers.

I know of others as well.

I really don't believe that we are the only pocket of people who do. It doesn't have to be a majority. Since when should Apple only cater to the majority of its customers, when the service does not detract from what the others want to do? This is true especially when it can be offered as an option, just like bigger HDD's, memory, wireless keyboards, and one time for the iMac, an upgraded gpu. That way, Apple could also gauge the demand for the feature for future inclusion as a standard device.

But, other uses are immediately useful.

Exactly. Just add an iMac SE Blu-ray just as in 1999 when Apple added the original iMac SE DVD to its iMac line. It did not replace all the CD drive iMacs but was simply offered as an option. And yes it cost more then, just as it would now. Also, the original iMAC SE DVD included A Bug's Life free DVD. Imagine if now they included either Cars or Ratatouille Blu-ray free, I would buy one today.

Or then just add it quietly as an option. Many of us want it and not just to watch movies.

BTW- weren't you stating previously that Apple doesn't want blu-ray? Are you then now stating that you disagree with Apple?
  • Reply 53 of 128
    imik-eimik-e Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Agreed- but additionally a blu-ray burner. Isn't that what iMovieHD is all about? How else to transport out HD movies we've created? Give me a blu-ray as an option at the very least.

However. I want more than a refresh though. I want a completely new iMac that is not modeled on the iPhone's looks - an original. The current one is the least astheticially pleasing one in it's history as far as I'm concerned. It's like an iPhone/Dell PC look-a-like.

Bring computers back to Apple as the number one priority. Not electronics, per se as in Sony - as in the iPhone.

And I don't want to hear about the price factor. If Apple want us to spend $1,800 on a sub-par skinny notebook and/or $600 on a cellphone, those of us into computers and their applications should at the very least have an option to buy blu-ray drives as an option especially now that the format war is over.

iPhone IS a computer. A mini, handheld computer.
  • Reply 54 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMik-e View Post

iPhone IS a computer. A mini, handheld computer.

And so IS an ipod and a calculator.
  • Reply 55 of 128
    imik-eimik-e Posts: 9member
    Quote:

And so IS an ipod and a calculator.

Dude... grow a brain. There are many different kinds of computers. IPhone and iPod touch is the handheld version of Apple's desktop and laptop computers.
  • Reply 56 of 128
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple, in the mid '90's, was the first computer manufacturer to put, first CD ROM's into their line. then recorders. At the time CD-R's were $20 a pop. Today, that 20 would be about$28.40. A lot of money. That didn't stop Apple.

When they put the first DVD recorder in the D A Powermac, the disks cost $20 a pop. In todays money, $23.90, still a fair amount.

A 25 GB BD-R costs $13, if you look around. A 50 GB BD-R costs about $20.

There is demand for it, even though you may not demand it. People WILL watch movies on it. And, I and quite a lot of others would just LOVE to use it to back up our digital photo's and videos. I'm not just talking about Pro's, who now do this on DL DVD's, but amateurs as well. That's a lot of people. But, industry uses DVD back-up as well, and would (and are) move to BD.

So, what's your point?

Points to consider
    • Althought the list is growing, there are only about 700 movies that are availble on Blu-ray

• The use of CDs or DVDs for backing up is not the standard. If fact, its use is diminishing particularly by home users, who are notoriously known for not backing up at all.

• The cost is prohibitive. The media is too large to give to copies of movies to your family, and too expensive for your friends to pay for it. Losing a 20 cent CD is one thing. Losing a $20 BD with all your life on it is another.

• The Blu-ray industry has still to finalize the format. Too many variables under consideration.

• The Blu-ray association has yet to authorize manufacturing its technology by the Chinese. As such, the costs are not expected to drop until they do.

Why the heat on Apple?
    • Surely Apple has done extensive market research on this potential opportunity

• Has anybody else standardised or declared such for this format for their line of computers?

• Can you imagine the protests for a Mac costing 30 to 50% more? Just look at some of the receptions received to the Macbook Air/Solid State drive option.

Right now the format is still iffy. Not universally used/deployed. But most important; It is too expensive, particularly now. I can still buy a few gallons of gas for the price of a disk.

Their are just better alternatives.

http://www.blu-ray.com
  • Reply 57 of 128
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    If they would kill the glossy screen, this revised iMac just earned a new buyer!
  • Reply 58 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMik-e View Post

Dude... grow a brain. There are many different kinds of computers. IPhone and iPod touch is the handheld version of Apple's desktop and laptop computers.

Like -Dude, you can't grow a brain though you can certainly shrink one- as in your case.

An iPhone is not a MAC- hello??
  • Reply 59 of 128
    Quote:

Like -Dude, you can't grow a brain though you can certainly shrink one- as in your case.

An iPhone is not a MAC- hello??

What was that RE personal attacks?

you complain SO much about how Apple could be better, like they arn't already, its almost ALWAYS a negitive point that would satiate a small minority, honestly why do you bother? there are site online that would far better suit your mindset, likely m$ funded ones, why don't you give those a try. or better yet start your own computer business, after all you have all the answers. hey, why not apply to apple with your, no doubt huge and varied, CV, you are bound to be snapped up in an instant.
  • Reply 60 of 128
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

What was that RE personal attacks?

you complain SO much about how Apple could be better, like they arn't already, its almost ALWAYS a negitive point that would satiate a small minority, honestly why do you bother? there are site online that would far better suit your mindset, likely m$ funded ones, why don't you give those a try. or better yet start your own computer business, after all you have all the answers. hey, why not apply to apple with your, no doubt huge and varied, CV, you are bound to be snapped up in an instant.

Translated: Blah blah blah, Apple: love it or leave it, blah blah blah, could you make a better computer?, blah blah blah.