Steve Jobs on P.A. Semi, love for Intel; 3G Blackberry delayed

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs in a new interview dispels rumors that the company's recent acquisition of chipmaker P.A. Semi was a result of some kind of discord with Intel. Meanwhile, RIM will reportedly delay the release of its 3G BlackBerry handset in a move that could play to Apple's advantage.

Jobs loves Intel

In speaking to the Wall Street Journal following Apple's second-quarter earnings report Wednesday, Jobs reaffirmed that his company's relationship with its Mac microprocessor supplier Intel Corp. was as strong as ever, adding that he hopes it remains that way indefinitely.

"We have a great partnership with Intel,? he said. ?We expect that to continue forever."

Though some have speculated that Apple's recent acquisition of P.A. Semi would in some way detract orders for future Intel chips, Jobs explained that the purchase was mainly driven by a liking for the firm's intelligence, rather than its existing products.

Corroborating a recent report by the EETimes, Jobs said Apple has long been involved in custom designing chips for iPhones and iPods and suggested that the company would rely on P.A. Semi?s expertise primarily for the forward development of those handheld products which were never based on Intel designs.

Although P.A. Semi is known for chips based on IBM's Power technology, from which Macs recently defected, there's absolutely no plans to ressurect a PowerPC-based Mac offering.

"I wouldn?t lose too much sleep over that,? he said. ?We?re very happy with Intel."

3G BlackBerry delayed

Meanwhile, it appears Apple will have at least a month or two head start on rival smartphone maker Research In Motion should it debut is 3G iPhone in the expected June timeframe.

Reuters reports on a story originally published over at Fortune which notes that the high-speed wireless version of the company's BlackBerry smartphone for AT&T is facing delays. The report cites unnamed sources in saying that the US wireless carrier is concerned with the quality of calls made using pre-production units of the next-generation handset, which could push its introduction back as far as August from June.

AppleInsider notes, however, that the original piece over at Fortune was authored by Scott Moritz, who during his tenure at TheStreet.com was repeatedly accused of intentionally spreading misinformation on Apple to drive the down the company's share price. As such, his claims should be treated with caution.

In yet another twist, BoyGenius appears to be backing claims that the 3G BlackBerry is facing delays, but alleges that the information for the Fortune report was sourced from his website without accreditation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Well you can spin it any way you want but that reads as a blow to Intel IMO.

Intel make no bones about it. They see Moorestown and subsequent Atom cpus as viable for the iPhone. This certainly makes it appear that Apple don't see it that way. The fact that Apple have bought expertise in cpu design make it appear that they have no intention in adopting Atom for the iPhone/iTouch.
  • Reply 2 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Steve's just being coy as usual... that sly fox.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Intel make no bones about it. They see Moorestown and subsequent Atom cpus as viable for the iPhone. This certainly makes it appear that Apple don't see it that way. The fact that Apple have bought expertise in cpu design make it appear that they have no intention in adopting Atom for the iPhone/iTouch.

Although it seems unlikely, PA Semi IP may be used to develop next-gen iPads or whatever else Steve has up his sleeve.
  • Reply 4 of 94
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Steve's just being coy as usual... that sly fox.

I don't know. That *was* a quarter of a billion dollar investment after all.

It seems to me they are moving in a different direction with respect to handhelds.

Desktop/Laptop/Server---->Intel

iPod/iPhone/iTouch/?------> In house custom ARM chips
  • Reply 5 of 94
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Read Dilger's take on this... very insightful...

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...e-buy-pa-semi/

Apple is unlikely to give up the economies of scale that Intel gives them for the core processors, but are likely doing this to develop custom supporting chips that give them differentiation that can't be stolen by anyone with an Intel internals manual.
  • Reply 6 of 94
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    BlackBerry still don't have 3G?!!! LOL

Thats what how many years?! Apple iPhone is less than 8 months old and people are very upset about not releasing a 3G yet!! This is funny.
  • Reply 7 of 94
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Thats what how many years?! Apple iPhone is less than 8 months old and people are very upset about not releasing a 3G yet!! This is funny.

To be fair, the Blackberry's main use is push email, which you don't need 3G for.
  • Reply 8 of 94
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

My thought as well: it seems odd that RIM hasn't already implemented 3G given the level of iPhone-3G-whining that has gone on for the past year. Apparently, Apple's not behind the game...
  • Reply 9 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

To be fair, the Blackberry's main use is push email, which you don't need 3G for.

A reasonable point -- I guess as they begin incorporating better web browsing, they're beginning to wish they had more speed...
  • Reply 10 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

<explicative deleted>

Kasper: uh... banned?
  • Reply 11 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I don't think so. This says nothing. For all we know, Apple is doing this to make customized versions of Intel's own chips, on Intel's own process lines.

It tells us nothing useful,. we know that Apple won't go back to PPC in any form.
  • Reply 12 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MOD NOTE: You just had to quote it, didn't you?

What is that supposed to mean?
  • Reply 13 of 94
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

Ya Fuckin $%@@s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh, yeah, I think a quick explanation is in order. Are you just an idiot or what?
  • Reply 14 of 94
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Fortune has picked up Scott Moritz? How unfortunate for them!!
  • Reply 15 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Uh, yeah, I think a quick explanation is in order. Are you just an idiot or what?

That guy is just an idiot, nothing but an idiot.
  • Reply 16 of 94
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

My thought as well: it's seems odd that RIM hasn't already implemented 3G given the level of iPhone-3G-whining that has gone on for the past year. Apparently, Apple's not behind the game...

I believe they're talking about the specific 3G Blackberry for AT&T. I think blackberries have been 3G at least since the curve came out.

CDMA2000 EV-DO, is considered 3G right?
  • Reply 17 of 94
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Maybe. But the attitude of most people here and other sites, Europeans in particular, is this "iPhone sucks because it is not using 3G". No one said the same thing about RIM.
  • Reply 18 of 94
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Kasper: uh... banned?

Yeah -- He's gone. Banned for at least 10 days or unless he can explain himself, which is doubtful.

K
  • Reply 19 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

I believe they're talking about the specific 3G Blackberry for AT&T. I think blackberries have been 3G at least since the curve came out.

CDMA2000 EV-DO, is considered 3G right?

Then is the point that RIM hasn't implemented 3G on a GSM network?

Well, I did say that it "seems odd," not that it actually is.
  • Reply 20 of 94
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I don't think so. This says nothing. For all we know, Apple is doing this to make customized versions of Intel's own chips, on Intel's own process lines.

I wonder how much more expensive would that be than just using Intel's general chips?

How would Apple deal with an architecture split for the iPhone after 200,000 - 300,000 developers have made apps for ARM?