New iMacs in retail system; 3G iPhone redesign rumor; 3G's "D-Day"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

In fact, don't be surprised if other manufacturers don't start following suit.

For instance, MS' Zune.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For instance, MS' Zune.

Yeah, funny that. You never seem to hear a lot of bitching about how insane and controlling and clueless MS is for going with a non-replaceable battery.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    If I were CEO of apple (and i will be one day ) i would split the iphone line in two.

Thats if the extra power to run 3G is to be believed.

1) I would basically repackage the current iphone into a smaller sleeker form (without 3G) a kind of iPhone Air. Why? because there are still many territories that dont have decent 3G coverage, and the philosophies behind apple originally not including 3G are still just as true now as they were when they first designed the iphone.

I have been using 3G for years, it aint all that, the 2.5G WIFI angle apple went with was a perfect tradeoff for battery life, form factor, ease of use.

2) Make an 3G iPhone Brick slightly thicker than it is now, the back utilized for a second screen but E-ink instead, used for keyboard and ebooks etc. Proximity sensor on the front for new interactive capabilities, oh and GPS.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

There are valid excuses why Apple doesn't allow it.

1) Lithium batteries are not alkaline batteries, therefor not in need of frequent changing. And in most cases never.

2) Adding a battery cover requires additional engineering which adds complexity and cost to the design while increasing its thickness and potentially lowering the durability

3) Apple can make things the way they to. (Of course, you don't have to like it either).

I agree with you. I don't see a need for a user replaceable battery. I'd rather buy a USB charger for my iPhone, which can fully charge the iPhone more than 4 times using AA batteries, instead of carrying a spare battery.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    Quote:

Yeah, funny that. You never seem to hear a lot of bitching about how insane and controlling and clueless MS is for going with a non-replaceable battery.

I have NEVER had to replace a phone battery in my life, nor do I know anyone that has. Phones are disposable items designed to last two years max, where i come from (england) owning the same phone for a year is absolute maximum!

Some people get through two or three phones a year, lost, stolen, blocking toilets, broken joystick, sitting on them and smashing the screen, throwing them at partners, using them to punch people with, opening beer bottles with.... it's a harsh world for a phone.

And if a phone does last a year, it gets sent a special congratulatory letter from the queen.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I agree with you. I don't see a need for a user replaceable battery. I'd rather buy a USB charger for my iPhone, which can fully charge the iPhone more than 4 times using AA batteries, instead of carrying a spare battery.

I've been waiting for the Mophie iPhone Juice Pack. I was about to complain that it's still not available (I think I checked 2 days ago). Lo and behold it's now available. Oh happy day! I'm a very heavy Mobile Safari user, and while I can get 8 hours out of the IPhone on EDGE, I do have to turn the brightness down to its minimum.

Note: Multiply those numbers by 2 to get the total hours.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    Anyhow I have taken steps to resolve the mobile phone battery issue myself, here is an image of one of my inventions...

....I have designed, manufactured, and installed these in all the pubs in my area, it means nobody has to worry about running out of batteries again, and it's a good excuse to sink an ale.

Incidentally if anyone is interested in my having a HandyCharge installed on their premises please contact me...
  • Reply 28 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I'd pay an extra $200 for a one inch thick iPhone that has enough battery for 24+ hours of "interneting" while listening to music, taking calls and with the brightness to full.

Really? How would you fit it in your pants pocket? They should be going smaller in anything - not larger?
  • Reply 29 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I have NEVER had to replace a phone battery in my life, nor do I know anyone that has. Phones are disposable items designed to last two years max, where i come from (england) owning the same phone for a year is absolute maximum!

Some people get through two or three phones a year, lost, stolen, blocking toilets, broken joystick, sitting on them and smashing the screen, throwing them at partners, using them to punch people with, opening beer bottles with.... it's a harsh world for a phone.

And if a phone does last a year, it gets sent a special congratulatory letter from the queen.

I guess that's why most people are satisfied with only spending $50 on a cell phone for that very reason.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    Quote:

For instance, MS' Zune.

Don't you think a thicker iPhone is rather Zune-ish?
  • Reply 31 of 102
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Teh background FTW!

I know what WTF means, but what is FTW?
  • Reply 32 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Could be actually. Glossy plastic strikes me and something that would look very cheap. I'd be highly highly surprised if the whole back was glossy plastic.

This is what black zirconia looks like.

That's a zircon, a gemstone.

Zirconia is a ceramic.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I just replaced the battery in my daughters phone. But, that's after two and a half years of constant use.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

Thicker? Same screen?... Lame. I wanted thinner wit OLED...

I want a car with wings...
  • Reply 35 of 102
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    I just hope this somehow includes a matte screen option. I recently had the chance to sit down in front of one of these new iMacs in an office setting and the glare and reflection were much worse than I thought they would be. I was really hoping I could sit in front of it and say, "Wow, it's not that bad" but it was.

The people in the office even had the windows covered with tinted plastic sheets so as to reduce the sunlight coming in, and the low-level light was still very distracting and annoying. The guy who sat at the computer said it was a nonstop battle to deal with the glare. On top of that, the drop in display quality from the previous generation iMac was readily apparent (at least to my eyes.) It looked like a cheap third-party display. Very sad.

I still don't understand what Apple was thinking with the iMac displays, and I hope like hell they fix it with this update. I am, for the record, not counting on it. \
  • Reply 36 of 102
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I know what WTF means, but what is FTW?

Fuck the what?

Actually, it's For The Win.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Really? How would you fit it in your pants pocket? They should be going smaller in anything - not larger.

My first answer to your question, is "I wear big boy pants now". Most people have wallets thicker than an inch. And those are usually filled with cards that will never be used.

When the iPhone v2.0 comes out with 3rd-party apps and a 3G version with much faster internet the battery is going to be drained even faster just from additional non-phone use. That isn't even considering the additional power draw from the faster chip.

The Mophie Juice Pack I ordered just last night will make my iPhone 0.75". Even if it didn't fit I'd find a way to attach it as the most important feature to me is the longevity of the device when I'm away from a charging station. I surely can't be the only one who is out all day and uses their mobile extensively.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:

Okay, this is FAR from how phones work in the US. We get 2 year contracts... so keeping a phone for 2 years is a must. At that point, many phones need a battery replaced. But I do agree with you on the iphone: if you're willing to pay $400+ for 2 years worth of phone, you can pay $90 to keep using the darned thing for another 2 years.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's upcoming iMac has made a tentative appearance in US retail channel systems.

Am I the only one surprised at new iMacs? I mean, a complete redesign of the macbook/pro line has been rumored for a year now, but iMacs were refreshed pretty recently. Is this just a speed bump or are we talking a redesign (or at least a matte screen as previously mentioned)? I think a redesign is unlikely, especially since the portable line is purportedly being redesigned to resemble the iMac line.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

Okay, this is FAR from how phones work in the US. We get 2 year contracts... so keeping a phone for 2 years is a must. At that point, many phones need a battery replaced. But I do agree with you on the iphone: if you're willing to pay $400+ for 2 years worth of phone, you can pay $90 to keep using the darned thing for another 2 years.

ok let's get something straight here. The Phone part in the iPhone costs only $100, the rest of it is an iPod Touch which costs $299. Therefore, $299+$100=$399

So stop calling it a $400 phone!