iPhone Providers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As much as I would like to buy/use the iPhone I simply cannot bring myself to go with AT&T as a service provider. Their service is not very good at this moment. Their customer service is not located in the USA and this, in and of itself, brings up difficulties in obtaining service. Their track record of service is also not very good (remember their transition from analog to digital & the unacceptable tactics they used to try to keep customers during that period?) It would be really nice if somehow Apple's contract with AT&T could be modified so that the iPhone would work, legally, with other carriers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I agree it would be nice to have other caries offer the iPhone... But to tell you the truth, i've had my iPhone since Dec '07, been an At&t customer since Aug '07, & their phone service has been better than the Nextel/Sprint i had before.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaverickSVT View Post

I agree it would be nice to have other caries offer the iPhone... But to tell you the truth, i've had my iPhone since Dec '07, been an At&t customer since Aug '07, & their phone service has been better than the Nextel/Sprint i had before.

Certainly gotta agree with that. I often wonder why Sprint still exists. It's kinda like AOL...there but all the rest of us wonder why. I happen to use T-Mobile and find that I can talk everywhere that AT&T users can talk and then some. Also, when I need help I can talk to someone who speaks American. That is not a racist remark, but rather a fact that Americans can understand the nuances of the language better than the high tach guys AT&T employs in India. They try hard, but just don't "get it" as easily.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

... Also, when I need help I can talk to someone who speaks American...

we speak english btw...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaverickSVT View Post

we speak english btw...

Spend some time in England, and you'll realize that we don't
  • Reply 5 of 11
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I'm currently running my iPhone on T-Mobile, for the next few weeks until I'm out of my contract, but I have to say it's very annoying. My biggest problem with running on a network, other than AT&T is that you have no good options for internet. You can't use any of the iPhone's internet abilities unless you're near a WiFi hotspot, which for me is very rare.I don't have one at home or work and there are almost no free ones and I have no interest in paying yet another monthly charge or paying for one time access. Now you might say "well t-Mobile has a data plan". Yes and it would be $20 more than AT&T's iPhone data plan plus I'd still have to pay for my normal phone plan. If t-mobile were to have an unlimited $20 a month data plan and include 200 text messages like the At&T plan does I'd consider staying, but since they won't be doing that I'm going to At&T. Plus they have roll over minutes which is nice. Between my wife and I we only use about 400 minutes a month. Edge might be slow but it's better than nothing.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

my normal phone plan. If t-mobile were to have an unlimited $20 a month data plan and include 200 text messages like the At&T plan does I'd consider staying, but since they won't be doing that I'm going to At&T. Plus they have roll over minutes which is nice. Between my wife and I we only use about 400 minutes a month. Edge might be slow but it's better than nothing.

I am using my iPhone on the T-mobile Network and have added there "Total Internet Add On" package, this gives me full Edge functionality and also the use of any T Mo Hotspot for WiFi usage.

Voicemail works only without the visual part.

No complaints
  • Reply 7 of 11
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post

I am using my iPhone on the T-mobile Network and have added there "Total Internet Add On" package, this gives me full Edge functionality and also the use of any T Mo Hotspot for WiFi usage.

Voicemail works only without the visual part.

No complaints

How much is that and how did you set the phone up for it?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

How much is that and how did you set the phone up for it?

Greetings iMacFP,

The Plan is $19.95, and in order to set up with my phone, which used to be an old Sony Ericsson which does not have Edge capability I went onto the TMo website and selected a different phone for my account such as a crackberry and was then able to sign up for the service all via the website.

Then on you iPhone go into settings and enter the TMo APN# into your Edge settings and your good to go. There is also now a patch so that your APN does not disappear when you power off the iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Greetings iMacFP,

The Plan is $19.95, and in order to set up with my phone, which used to be an old Sony Ericsson which does not have Edge capability I went onto the TMo website and selected a different phone for my account such as a crackberry and was then able to sign up for the service all via the website.

Then on you iPhone go into settings and enter the TMo APN# into your Edge settings and your good to go. There is also now a patch so that your APN does not disappear when you power off the iPhone.

The only trouble with bootlegging the iphone onto a provider other than AT&T is that Apple is contractually obligated to try to foil you over the long term. What we need is a massive series of complaints to Apple about the single provider (AT&T) and a continual flow of requests to renegotiate the contract so as to provide completely legal access to provider of choice. Believe it or not, Apple pays attention to popular demand, even though it refuses to respond to individual requests & complaints.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

The only trouble with bootlegging the iphone onto a provider other than AT&T is that Apple is contractually obligated to try to foil you over the long term. What we need is a massive series of complaints to Apple about the single provider (AT&T) and a continual flow of requests to renegotiate the contract so as to provide completely legal access to provider of choice. Believe it or not, Apple pays attention to popular demand, even though it refuses to respond to individual requests & complaints.

Sky King,

Couldn't agree with you more, I would imagine some fuss would be made if all current un-locked iPhones are somehow prevented from upgrading to the 2.0 Firmware.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Sky King,

Couldn't agree with you more, I would imagine some fuss would be made if all current un-locked iPhones are somehow prevented from upgrading to the 2.0 Firmware.

Except that it's likely Apple will change their business model with iPhone 2.0.

That is to say, Apple wants to expand their market and by selling a higher volume of iPhones they can generate lost revenue from the termination of data-package revenue-sharing with AT&T and the ability to use iPhone with more carriers than just AT&T.