pci on a macbook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i want to be able to use a pci card with my macbook. are there any kind of adaptors that make doing so possible? i fear this may be a stupid question. oh well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heliotrope View Post

i want to be able to use a pci card with my macbook. are there any kind of adaptors that make doing so possible? i fear this may be a stupid question. oh well.

A PCI card, like from a tower? Or a PCMCIA card from a laptop card slot?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

A PCI card, like from a tower? Or a PCMCIA card from a laptop card slot?

The Macbook uses the Expresscard slot and not the PCMCIA card slot. If you have a PCMCIA card that you need to use in an Expresscard machine then there are adapters available.

It will basically consist of a cable that has a PCMCIA card slot on one end and an Expresscard end on the other. The adapter is simple and easy to use, but it can be a little costly as I have found them between $70 and $110.

I would say that it's worth it if you have some PCMCIA devices that you really want to keep and use.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leviticus View Post

The Macbook uses the Expresscard slot and not the PCMCIA card slot. If you have a PCMCIA card that you need to use in an Expresscard machine then there are adapters available.

It will basically consist of a cable that has a PCMCIA card slot on one end and an Expresscard end on the other. The adapter is simple and easy to use, but it can be a little costly as I have found them between $70 and $110.

I would say that it's worth it if you have some PCMCIA devices that you really want to keep and use.

Macbooks don't have an expresscard slot. Macbook Pros do.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    leviticusleviticus Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

Macbooks don't have an expresscard slot. Macbook Pros do.

I stand corrected and thank you for clearing my mistake. With that in mind I guess you will just have to find a USB or FireWire adapter. I am sure that they are out there.