Parallels Won't Connect to Internet via Verizon Wireless Modem

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK, I am a newbie, as the name implies. I purchased a MacBook Pro with supposedly Leopard? Mac Os X (somewhere on the machine it said Tiger - does it matter?), with Parallels installed by the friendlies at MacMall. I start Windows and cannot connect to the Verizon wireless express card which is working just fine. The Parallel's User Manual is a joke... how do I make this thing work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    You don't connect to a network from Parallels directly, you share the Mac internet connection. So the Mac side connects to the wireless network and Parallels shares it. There are network settings that tell you how it connects and if it should connect at startup.

In edit menu > virtual machine choose network adaptor. Check enabled and connect at startup if they aren't.

Experiment with different network options but I have mine set to bridged ethernet with default adaptor. I have a wired ethernet though so you might need to use en1: wireless adaptor.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks, Marvin. You are very kind to take time to help. From the Parallel's manual I was able to learn that I had to connect through the Mac OS, not directly through Parellel's, but there seems to be no info anywhere on how to connect to a wireless broad-band Verizon modem already installed and working under the Mac OS. I have tried various settings in Parallel's - there seems to be something seriously missing in Parallels - I can't believe I am the first to ever attempt this.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewbieMacUser View Post

I have tried various settings in Parallel's - there seems to be something seriously missing in Parallels - I can't believe I am the first to ever attempt this.

Are your network adaptors installed correctly? If you go into your system prefs > network, do you see Parallels network adaptors in the list called Parallels Host-Guest and Parallels NAT? If so, do they have an assigned IP address?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewbieMacUser View Post

Thanks, Marvin. You are very kind to take time to help. From the Parallel's manual I was able to learn that I had to connect through the Mac OS, not directly through Parellel's, but there seems to be no info anywhere on how to connect to a wireless broad-band Verizon modem already installed and working under the Mac OS. I have tried various settings in Parallel's - there seems to be something seriously missing in Parallels - I can't believe I am the first to ever attempt this.

Did you ever solve this problem? I'm having the same difficulty!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I'm having the same problem that newbie user had. I can't seem to find the list called Parallels Host-Guest and Parallels NAT in preferences. Where do I go to find it?

Thanks!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by okrent View Post

I'm having the same problem that newbie user had. I can't seem to find the list called Parallels Host-Guest and Parallels NAT in preferences. Where do I go to find it?

Thanks!

They should be in the system prefs > network.