Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz

Comments

• Reply 81 of 362
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think it was a mistake to not add a Blu ray reader. In a year's time, not having a Blu ray reader will be like not having a DVD reader today. i.e. a major problem.
  • Reply 82 of 362
    Well, i just got off the phone with the Fresno Apple Store and asked the guy when the new iMac's were going to be available to buy....

He said "New iMacs??? When did this happen"

He checked with his manager and was backfilled on the new iMacs..

He said they should be in the shipment today and they will be setting out display models tonight.

This actually lends credit to when I called them on Saturday asking if there was a refresh on Tuesday and the store employee said she had heard nothing..

I guess Apple does keep it's employees in the dark...

Bryan
  • Reply 83 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

For most consumers glossy is the best option. Consumers are more likely to watch movies, etc than anything else on their computers. Also, unlike laptops, you wont be lugging your imac out in the sun anytime soon, so there really is no incentive for the additional complexity of adding a matte screen option.

On the other hand, professional designers, or people in graphic related jobs cannot buy the imac. But that is what the mac PRO is for...

In sum, I think its a reasonable decision to offer the matte option on the macbook pro and allow people to attach a monitor of their choosing to the mac pro, and leave the consumer options all glossy.

1. Consumers also suffer from reflections, the fact they don't recognise what the problem is is irrelevant. As is the spurious suggestion that they are the ones who will be watching movies (video editors anyone?) not web browsing, or trying to read text documents and emails through the reflections.

2. How does NOT putting the glass on which is an extra, adds to the weight and complexity of fittings etc make for "additional complexity"?

3. How come it is possible to choose screens on the MacBook following your logic?

I gave a local costing on the iMacs, it might interest you to know that the already heavy pricing on Mac Pros is increased an additional 38.9% in Australia*. Not that that is relevant if it constitutes a hardware combination the customer does not want.

It is like saying if you don't like the obstructive sunshades in your VW Golf, which obscure your view, you can always buy a Rolls Royce.

* I corrected this after recalculating the latest figures on the Australian Apple website. Apple used to overcharge a whopping 67% on a fully configured Mac Pro. Now it is a uniform 38.9% right up the line. Still way too much.
  • Reply 84 of 362
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

For most consumers glossy is the best option. Consumers are more likely to watch movies, etc than anything else on their computers. Also, unlike laptops, you wont be lugging your imac out in the sun anytime soon, so there really is no incentive for the additional complexity of adding a matte screen option.

On the other hand, professional designers, or people in graphic related jobs cannot buy the imac. But that is what the mac PRO is for...

In sum, I think its a reasonable decision to offer the matte option on the macbook pro and allow people to attach a monitor of their choosing to the mac pro, and leave the consumer options all glossy.

You're preaching to the choir there.

But I'll let Mel come by and explain himself.
  • Reply 85 of 362
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Where do you get $800/hr? It's $100 per GB which is a huge time saver, keeps the average person from getting screwed on price by the average online website, and gives then them the peace of mind of an encompassing warranty.

I thought the price of the upgrade was $300, but still, it's a lot.

The cost of 4GB SO-DIMM outright from a reputable retail company is less than $100. Maybe the original 2GB is $50, so you have a $150 difference because the additional cost to Apple for the bigger memory can't be much more than $50. It doesn't take 15 minutes to install the memory and handle the paperwork too. So that's $600 an hour, assuming a fairly pedestrian installation time.
  • Reply 86 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So.... what does Montevina have over Santa Rosa?

? WiMAX?(which won't be enabled on the iMac)

? Hardware H.2.64 decoding

? Lower power usage (not a big selling point in a desktop)

? Smaller chip and subsequent MoBo

? Blu-ray HDCP support on chip

? Can use Integrated GPU for Blu-ray playback

? Robson 2.0 (2nd version of Turbo memory)

? DDR3 Ram

? Intel GMA X4500 (3 versions)
    Is that correct?

So, to all the people cursing Apple for not releasing the Santa Rosa/Penryn iMac. is this a welcome upgrade that Apple jumped to Montevina/Penryn before Intel even officially releases the chip? Or is there other things ot complain about?

I don't think the Penryn was much of an update anyway, its biggest benefit is power consumption (not much there either), the increased speed was negligible at best.

Robson's not much of a bullet point either.
  • Reply 87 of 362
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member

delete

• Reply 88 of 362
    c64c64 Posts: 33member
    I'm not going to play games is it worth it or just get the referb 24" for $1399?
  • Reply 89 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c64 View Post

I'm not going to play games is it worth it or just get the referb 24" for $1399?

Yes. I was tempted. It's a good machine. But for my circumstances, I really need to put the money to other use, I don't really need a new computer.
  • Reply 90 of 362
    c64c64 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yes. I was tempted. It's a good machine. But for my circumstances, I really need to put the money to other use, I don't really need a new computer.

I'm not going to play games or burn movies.I'll willuse for itunes,internet,photo's and maybe some home movie editing.I would like to know if I would benefit with 8800 gs other than gaming?
  • Reply 91 of 362
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

That's a call only you can make. But, the new models will also be sold as refurbs eventually, although probably not at that price until another model upgrade approaches.

IMO, the new models are a better buy, faster processor, faster RAM, faster video card, faster optical drive, YMMV.
  • Reply 92 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

How about you change the title to be a little more accurate?

They need to update the title, but that doesn't mean AI writers need to go back to elementary school over this little thing. The Apple front page was still giving top billing to the iPhone SDK for at least two hours after the iMac was updated in the Apple store. So it was correct at the time the story was posted.
  • Reply 93 of 362
    Quote:

I'm not going to play games or burn movies.I'll willuse for itunes,internet,photo's and maybe some home movie editing.I would like to know if I would benefit with 8800 gs other than gaming?

I don't think you need the 8800 at all for your use.
  • Reply 94 of 362
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think you need the 8800 at all for your use.

IMO, it's a need vs want situation. The 8800 will out perform, but only the buyer can say if it's worth the extra bucks to HIM.
  • Reply 95 of 362
    Kinda funny, my school just bought brand new 24" iMacs a week or two ago...
  • Reply 96 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

IMO, it's a need vs want situation. The 8800 will out perform, but only the buyer can say if it's worth the extra bucks to HIM.

True, but he already said he doesn't play games, which is about the only significant benefit, one that I don't see worth paying the extra $1000 for the stated uses. Even for core image / core video stuff, the 8800 isn't a very good performer compared to lesser chips.
  • Reply 97 of 362
    If the conventions of the 2600 in the last generation hold, is the thinking that they've got an 8800M GT in there, downclocked? I'm really curious what the video card situation is going to be with this model, because there's not a mobile version of the 8800 GS that I'm aware of and I think we're all pretty certain that there's not a desktop GPU in there. If they put in an 8700M GT then they can fuck right off.
  • Reply 98 of 362
    Quote:

For that, i would say buy the Mac Mini, put 2 gigs of RAM in it and a bigger hard drive, and buy an external monitor. On the tasks you mentioned, you won't notice a speed differeenc, especially for browins the web or internet. Home movie editing, in iMovie, runs very well on the Mac Mini, and i have done hours of video on it. Just make sure you get a big hard drive, weather internal or external.
  • Reply 99 of 362
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markroder View Post

Any idea why Apple did not bump the Mini? Do you think it will come in the next few weeks, or will they slip it into WMDC? (surely they have better announcements to make?) .....

Any news or speculation welcomed!

I think the Mac mini will get updated after the MacBook gets updated so the Mac mini isn't more powerful than the MacBook. With Intel pushing to discontinue "older" platforms sooner than they have been, I have a feeling the Mac mini will skip Santa Rosa and move straight to Montevina.
  • Reply 100 of 362
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Yes, for a start you have the conversion around the wrong way, you divide by 0.935.

There is an Australian/USA Free trade agreement in place. To my knowledge there is no customs tariff.

As the goods are ex China and Australian ports are closer to Chinese ports than even the US west coast, I fail to see where there are extra costs involved.

There will be insurance on USA shipments as well so your calculation is double dipping.

The GST has been removed from the calculation to square up the comparison, as the US Apple site does not include USA taxes.

If there is a pro-rata extra cost in freight and insurance that does not explain the radically different price markups for the higher end products and extras. Freight actually wouldn't vary as in most cases the weight of different RAM or HD would not change and the box is the same size.

This is Apple charging whatever it feels it can get away with and shifting profits away from Australia and back to the USA head office. Our previous government was complicit in writing soft laws that prevent parallel or grey marketing of imports to prevent this sort of exploitation.

The so called FTA with the States has opened us up to the kind of abuse that Canada has suffered, where our competitive products are blocked in the US market, whilst the USA does whatever it wants in ours.

With friends like this...

Am I missing something?

Apple Store Australia lists the

24? iMac for 2,726.26 A$ or [2,554.32 $US]

Apple Store USA lists the

24? iMac for 2,199.00 $US or [2,347.10 A$]

for a difference of 355 $US. Obviously would include additional export/import custom declarations, shipping, distribution, marketing, overhead, etc.

According to the Australia Custom Tariff site, there is a tax of 5% still on goods coming in over $1000 A$, plus a shipping and insurance duty added?