The New imac is here...now what do I do?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I will be using my imac primarily for graphic design, internet, word processing, and occasional movie viewing. Is it worth it for me to get the (previous version) 2.8 ghz with the 500GB HD and 800 mhz front side bus for $1599 or should I get the current updated 2.8 ghz with the 320GB HD and faster front side bus for $1699. I am wondering if the extra storage space will be more beneficial to me than the bus speed but I am not an expert on these matters?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks everybody!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmoopy.design View Post

I will be using my imac primarily for graphic design, internet, word processing, and occasional movie viewing. Is it worth it for me to get the (previous version) 2.8 ghz with the 500GB HD and 800 mhz front side bus for $1599 or should I get the current updated 2.8 ghz with the 320GB HD and faster front side bus for $1699. I am wondering if the extra storage space will be more beneficial to me than the bus speed but I am not an expert on these matters?

Go with the new computer. The L2 cache bumps up to 6MB versus 4MB which gives you a speed advantage right there. The FSB increase helps as well for faster memory throughput. I think the new iMac is certainly worth the $100 premium ...but then again it's "your" money not mine.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmoopy.design View Post

you should definitely pay an extra 100 dollars for a new one. but it is your money, so do what you want with it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You're doing graphic design on an iMac? I hope you're not doing final color on the built-in monitor (unless Apple has improved the panels since I last checked).