SuperDuper: Any good?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What are your thoughts on SuperDuper?

And how does Carbon Copy Cloner compare?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

And how does Carbon Copy Cloner compare?

I love it.

Runs easily in the background. I surf the net at night while it clones my HDD to an external drive. That external drive will come in handy when I put a new larger capacity HDD in my MBP. Cloning the new drive from my backup should save a lot of time from having to re-install apps and then restore from a time machine backup.

I haven't used CCC so I can't give you a comparison. But I don't even use TM. I'm that happy with SD.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I love it.

Runs easily in the background. I surf the net at night while it clones my HDD to an external drive. that external drive will come in handy when I put a new larger capacity HDD in my MBP. Cloning the new drive from my backup should save a lot of time from having to re-install apps and them restore from a time machine backup.

I haven't used CCC so I can't give you a comparison. But i don't even use TM. I'm that happy with SD.

Nice One!

Thanks for that...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I absolutely adore Super Duper. I use it several times a week flawlessly and quickly. I love to wipe my hard drive clean once in a while to keep things running briskly and I just copy from my bootable backup no problem.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

I absolutely adore Super Duper. I use it several times a week flawlessly and quickly. I love to wipe my hard drive clean once in a while to keep things running briskly and I just copy from my bootable backup no problem.

I too use SD, but, I'm wondering about what you stated above.

If you backup to an external drive, then wipe out your Mac's hard drive, then copy back from the drive, aren't you just putting it back the way that it was?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I love it.

Runs easily in the background. I surf the net at night while it clones my HDD to an external drive. That external drive will come in handy when I put a new larger capacity HDD in my MBP. Cloning the new drive from my backup should save a lot of time from having to re-install apps and then restore from a time machine backup.

I haven't used CCC so I can't give you a comparison. But I don't even use TM. I'm that happy with SD.

If you put the file on a larger hd, will it then automatically see the entire hd or do you still have to repartition stuff?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

If you put the file on a larger hd, will it then automatically see the entire hd or do you still have to repartition stuff?

I'm not sure I understand your question. But I plan on formating the newly installed HDD on my MBP. Then boot from the backup drive and then clone backup to HDD in MBP.

Is that what you where asking?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Well, if you take a backup from say a 160GB HD, and put it on a 200GB drive, don't you only have 160GB avaiable because that's the size of the "image"? I could be completely wrong if SuperDuper does more advanced stuff than I think it does.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Well, if you take a backup from say a 160GB HD, and put it on a 200GB drive, don't you only have 160GB avaiable because that's the size of the "image"? I could be completely wrong if SuperDuper does more advanced stuff than I think it does.

I understand now, but unfortunately I don't have the answer for your question.

I'll try some stuff tonight.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I use SuperDuper to make bootable backups to augment Time Capsule, which I use for incremental backups. It has saved my bacon more than once. Consider me to be a fan.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    santasanta Posts: 67member
    I've used CCC for many years, and find it excellent for what is essentially a free program. Bootable backups, set for as often as you like, and either full or incremental clones.

I've got one disk for TM, and one for CCC for double redundancy.