iPhone redesign details; washed out MBP screens; free AT&T Wi-Fi

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One site claims to have the most detailed information on the new iPhone's redesign -- including an unknown sensor. Meanwhile, users are reporting washed-out screens on MacBook Pros after waking from sleep, Apple is seeking real estate for a business office in New York City, and AT&T is offering both a hard-of-hearing plan for the iPhone as well as free wireless access for iPhone owners.

Next-gen iPhone design cues outed?

While rumors are flying fast about the next-generation iPhone's appearance, one unusually specific report suggests accessory developers are being briefed on a number of changes to Apple's handset.

In an article for its Backstage section, iLounge claims that the back will drop the aluminum shell for glossy plastic, but also that the phone will have a tapered design similar to the MacBook Air with the chrome bezel considerably thinner than on the original model.

More functional changes also appear to be in store. In particular, cases made for the front must make room for an unknown third sensor. This may be as much as a front video camera or as little as an extra proximity sensor, according to the report. Microphone and speaker grilles on the back have also changed substantially, say the claimed insiders.

Apple may also use the opportunity of a redesign to introduce colors into the line, offering black or white phones and potentially a red model, those same sources allege. The rumor doesn't indicate whether this would extend the PRODUCT (Red) program to include iPhones, however.

Readers are cautioned in the report that few companies if any beyond Apple can vouch for the accuracy of the design; however, some companies are said to be certain enough to be crafting accessories around the described changes.

New MacBook Pros suffering from washed-out screens on wake

Some owners of Apple's recent, Penryn-based MacBook Pros are reporting washed-out screens on waking their systems under certain conditions, according to discussions on Apple's support forums.

Whether started fresh or woken from sleep, both 15- and 17-inch pro systems are suffering from a blue, washed out tint that remains present until users visit the Displays section of System Preferences, which invokes a color profile that automatically fixes the problem.

The issue affects only the primary display and doesn't touch external screens.

AppleInsider can vouch for the existence of the problem, which affects a 15-inch system.

Apple hasn't yet commented on the matter.

Apple close to landing NYC workspace

As much attention as it gets for its New York City retail spaces, the company is now looking to set up a business office in the heart of Manhattan, say purported real estate sources in contact with Silicon Alley Insider.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based electronics maker is believed to be on the verge of tendering an offer for between 10,000 and 15,000 square feet of high-priced office space near its Fifth Avenue retail store, at the edge of Central Park.

Reasons for the workspace buyout are unclear other than as an attempt to broaden Apple's business presence in the US, which is dominated by its Californian offices.

AT&T supplies hard-of-hearing plan for iPhone

AT&T this week has addressed usability concerns by launching its Text Accessibility Plan for the iPhone.

Built for customers who have little to no hearing, the $40 plan serves up unlimited SMS text messages as well as the iPhone's customary unlimited data and Visual Voicemail. In exchange, all calls are metered at 40 cents per minute.

Switching to the plan requires a two-step process, the carrier says: after activating the iPhone through iTunes, users have to fill out a disability certification form before the new plan becomes active.

AT&T offering free Wi-Fi to iPhone users

Reader reports at Mac Rumors and elsewhere claim that AT&T has begun offering free Wi-Fi Internet access to iPhone owners at key hotspots.

Visitors to Barnes & Noble or Starbucks shops who attempt to connect to the access points are prompted with a request for the user's phone number. After submitting the information, iPhone owners are given unrestricted access.

AT&T recently won hotspot privileges at Starbucks from previous operator T-Mobile and promised it would support cellular customers with the rollout in the future, but hasn't discussed its plans with the public.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    On thing is certain. There WILL be a complete redesign of the 3G model.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Late last week there was news that AT&T and Starbucks were beginning to roll out nationwide WiFi. Expect to see more iPhone and iPod touch users at your local Starbucks once the iPhone is updated.

With rumors floating around that AAT&T is thinking about subsidizing the iPhone which will drop the cost to$199, expect iPhone sales to soar if this happens.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by riversky View Post

Another thing is certain: Apple WILL NOT drop the aluminum shell, like alot of people are predicting.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Whether started fresh or woken from sleep, both 15- and 17-inch pro systems are suffering from a blue, washed out tint that...

I've had that issue occur on my 15" MBP C2Duo (2006) under Tiger after Fast User Switching. Haven't seen it since I upgraded to Leopard.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    They might use carbon fiber, but there's no way in hell they're using plastics again, green peace will go off big time on their a*s if they do.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    This makes everything so interesting!! There is so much information floating around, that it makes everything so complicated!!

I mean, we have FoxConn saying that there will be a iPhone with a 2.5" screen, we have iLounge (which you should read that article) talking about iPhone developments more in-line with what we expected. Plus, AT&T is talking about providing iPhones for $199 supposedly. I never thought a device would cause such conversation and speculation.

I'm wondering, is it possible that all this could be true in some sort of way... or is it that Apple is just trying to throw people off in various ways.

Hmmm... is it possible we could see a new iPhone along with a 3G iPhone.

iPhone Nano - $199 (smaller screen, EDGE? and 8 GB??)

iPhone Nano - $299 (smaller screen, EDGE? and 16GB??)

iPhone - $399 (regular screen with 3G and 16GB??)

iPhone - $499 (regular screen with 3G and 32GB??)

I'm so confused.....
  • Reply 7 of 25
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by riversky View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Another thing is certain: Apple WILL NOT drop the aluminum shell, like alot of people are predicting.

The only thing that is certain is:

Nothing is certain!
  • Reply 8 of 25
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

The only thing that is certain is:

Nothing is certain!

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world."

-Michael Crichton
  • Reply 9 of 25
    I absolutely hate the mock up of the black plastic backing on that photo that is going around. I may consider switching back to Cingular for the 3G iphone.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Next-gen iPhone design cues outed?

While rumors are flying fast about the next-generation iPhone's appearance, one unusually specific report suggests accessory developers are being briefed on a number of changes to Apple's handset.

In an article for its Backstage section, iLounge claims that the back will drop the aluminum shell for glossy plastic, but also that the phone will have a tapered design similar to the MacBook Air with the chrome bezel considerably thinner than on the original model.

More functional changes also appear to be in store. In particular, cases made for the front must make room for an unknown third sensor. This may be as much as a front video camera or as little as an extra proximity sensor, according to the report. Microphone and speaker grilles on the back have also changed substantially, say the claimed insiders.

Apple may also use the opportunity of a redesign to introduce colors into the line, offering black or white phones and potentially a red model, those same sources allege. The rumor doesn't indicate whether this would extend the PRODUCT (Red) program to include iPhones, however.

If this is true it's for the nano iPhone, I am certain. The iPhone won't change in that respect, I'm pretty confident of that.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NarutoSasuke View Post

Absolutely agree with those price points. I think the multi-touch screen gives Apple some room and a lot of flexibility for the new design. I really like this

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/gal...age_med/14993/
  • Reply 12 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Actually they may have no choice if they want to obtain the required RF performance. Lets face it trying to push RF signals through metal housings is stupid.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NarutoSasuke View Post

This makes everything so interesting!!

yes it does.
    Quote:

I mean, we have FoxConn saying

Actually Foxconn hasn't said anything
    Quote:

I'm wondering, is it possible that all this could be true in some sort of way... or is it that Apple is just trying to throw people off in various ways.

I believe it is very possible. lets face it Apple can no more get buy with one cell phone in the marketplace than it can on iPod. It should be expected that more iPhone will be added to the lineup.

Quote:

I would expect all new cell phones form Apple to be 3G, other than that I suspect your list is pretty close
    Quote:

I'm so confused.....

You shouldn't let speculation confuse you. That is partly why we have mortgage crisis right now.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 25
    mfagomfago Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

They might use carbon fiber, but there's no way in hell they're using plastics again, green peace will go off big time on their a*s if they do.

The full name is "carbon fiber reinforced plastic" -- still mostly plastic. And carbon fiber is fairly conductive (very, depending on the type), so it's not the best thing to transmit through. Perhaps fiberglass or Kevlar instead. But is it worth the trouble?

I love the durability of aluminum so I hope they can stay with the "window" approach of the current model.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually they may have no choice if they want to obtain the required RF performance. Lets face it trying to push RF signals through metal housings is stupid.

Dave

This is why you have that plastic cover at the lower end of the iPhone, it is for the internal antenna. I don't see a reason why they would go for plastic, the metal housing has proven to be very durable plastic tend to scratch and fade with time. Unlike computers, phones need to withstand a lot of daily abuse.

Its rumors time people. Everyone is throwing a punch at this just to get in the game. I remember few days ago there was another rumor saying that the next iPhone will have all metal case, and now this. All of this will turn our to be just rumors like what happened before MW 2008 and the rumors about Mac tablet. We will hear the truth within one week of WWDC in June.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    raise your hand if you remember zirconia
  • Reply 17 of 25
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phinnaeus View Post

I remember zirconia!
  • Reply 18 of 25
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phinnaeus View Post

Something associated with fake diamonds.

Quote:

zirconia |ˌzərˈkōnēə|

noun

zirconium dioxide, a white solid used in ceramic glazes and refractory coatings and as a synthetic substitute for diamonds in jewelry. See also cubic zirconia . ? Chem. formula: ZrO 2.

• Reply 19 of 25
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Do you suppose that Apple's insistence on secrecy regarding forthcoming products is limiting the extent to which they can do product testing before release?

The seemingly unending list of issues with recent products points to a serious problem with product testing not being thorough enough. I think it is because the testing is done by too limited a pool of people for the sake of secrecy and those people aren't catching everything because they are not real world users using the product outside of Apple HQ.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMiC View Post

Something associated with fake diamonds.

And also with Apple's patents on a radio-transparent shell material.