DVD menus on ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have stored a movie on my iPod nano after converting the original dvd to mp4 using DVDFab but, I can't seem to access the original DVD's root menu on my iPOD in order to select individual chapters etc. At the moment the only way I can select a chapter - its a classical piano movie btw - is by using the fast forward control. Could someone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance

cruiser

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cruisercruiser Posts: 17member
    ....anyone? How do I select video scenes (songs) on an iPOD nano?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    \ ok, let me try this question instead - has anyone ripped a DVD to their iPOD nano and been able to access the menu functions, as is possible when playing the original DVD?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cruiser View Post

\ ok, let me try this question instead - has anyone ripped a DVD to their iPOD nano and been able to access the menu functions, as is possible when playing the original DVD?

It is not possible.

DVD players implement a standard which allows a certain type of interactivity. There's no way to implement this on an iPod. It just plays audio and movies.

Personally, I'm glad about that.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

It is not possible.

DVD players implement a standard which allows a certain type of interactivity. There's no way to implement this on an iPod. It just plays audio and movies.

Personally, I'm glad about that.

C.

Thanks for replying Carniphage

I merely want to be able to somehow select individual pieces from a movie of classical piano pieces without having to fast forward the video - I can't imagine that this isn't possible
  • Reply 5 of 10
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cruiser View Post

Thanks for replying Carniphage

I merely want to be able to somehow select individual pieces from a movie of classical piano pieces without having to fast forward the video - I can't imagine that this isn't possible

Just encode each chapter of the film to H.264 as a separate part. iSquint does this very, very easily.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    You can also set up the chapters in QuickTime Pro, keeping the full movie as one file.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

You can also set up the chapters in QuickTime Pro, keeping the full movie as one file.

But, as the OP is using Windows, that's not an option for him.

<friendly harassment>Poor Windows users, they really should move up to a modern OS. </friendly harassment>
  • Reply 8 of 10
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    <sarcasm>Silly me, I didn't realize Apple stopped making QuickTime Pro for Windows</sarcasm>.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

<sarcasm>Silly me, I didn't realize Apple stopped making QuickTime Pro for Windows</sarcasm>.

I was kinda including iSquint in that, (just to lazy to quote it), but I guess I should do some homework. I had no idea QTP was ported to Windows... oh well. I guess it makes sense though, as QT was developed to be a "standard" for web media. No way to do that unless the other 95% can use it for developement.

I'd say "that'll teach me to open my mouth without thinking first!", but we all know I don't learn that fast.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just encode each chapter of the film to H.264 as a separate part. iSquint does this very, very easily.

No it doesn't :P Getting those chapters extracted is a you know what. Handbrake is the only thing I know that gets chapters extracted "very, very easily."