Safari for Windows market share triples following SW Update push

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    I did not see the issue before and with the new installation I still do not see an issue. People that installed it by mistake could easily delete it.

It is obvious that Apple did the right thing as a large number of people decided to take it for a spin. Prior to the installation they were probably unaware that there was a browser named Safari. Now they know and are using it.

I installed it a t work I am very happy with it. Great on my Mac and Great on the stupid windows box that I am forced to use at work.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The complaint that many people have has nothing to do with how good the browser is, nor has it to do with IE - it is strictly a matter of business practice. It may be successful, but to me that doesn't justify the means. I am sure the stats would have been the same with the option to click, accompanied by some Apple like marketing. Back handed strategies just don't sit well with me. If you have something good to sell find a way to tell it like it is and 'they will come'. I wonder how many of the people who inadvertently installed Safari are now using it. My bet is that by far most of them have no idea Safari is even on their computer.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

So PC users DO just click on the next button without looking at what they are doing!

Yes, not that its any different in any OS. Users don't read or look at what they're doing all the time.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    I just don't think anyone was "tricked" into downloading anything. Users clearly had the option to install or not install. There is no sketchy business practice here.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

I just don't think anyone was "tricked" into downloading anything. Users clearly had the option to install or not install. There is no sketchy business practice here.

I know many companies have tried this at some point or another, but regardless of company, I much prefer the check boxes to be opt-in vs. opt-out. Do nothing, and the software does nothing. To me, that's the most sensible way to do it.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    diskimagediskimage Posts: 89member
    But Safari's market share has actually slipped since this.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...pcustom=Safari

Although they gained some windows users it looks like more mac users have stopped using it
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Wow. You need to get out of your parents basement more often.

Hahaha, funny. If I was on the outside I would've made the same joke. Unfortunately for the veracity of your comments, I have my own place where I'm married to a very foxy lady. She doesn't mind that I'm a nerd sometimes. In return, I tollerate her quest to fill her every free moment with Sex and the City reruns. (That show in unbearable!) She feels the same way about my bi-weekly StarCraft tournaments, though, so it all works out.

So anyway... About Macs. Apple is a bully for forcing-- ah who am I kidding? There's no way I can re-rail this post. Oh well. Mods here don't care.

-Clive
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Well since Netscape stopped supporting their browser, I am sure Safari has claimed some of those non-conformists....

On Windows, it may be true that anything is better than Internet Explorer.... So Safari has potential there.... But Firefox is clearly the better browser, even on the Mac side
  • Reply 29 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

Although they gained some windows users it looks like more mac users have stopped using it

I think those numbers are more realistic. A quarter percent just seems like a lowball figure. On my sites, I see between 3% and 12%. Firefox generally gets about 3x that

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post

Well since Netscape stopped supporting their browser, I am sure Safari has claimed some of those non-conformists....

On Windows, it may be true that anything is better than Internet Explorer.... So Safari has potential there.... But Firefox is clearly the better browser, even on the Mac side

I think it's a debatable claim. I use Firefox because it does certain things the way I want it to, but Safari has been more stable for me than Firefox 2. FF3 beta is pretty good though, it fixes most of the issues I have with Firefox.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Excuse me- but is 0.21 percent something to brag about or even publicize??\

It's more than I have. I have a browser on my desk called Brown Bread
  • Reply 31 of 55
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    To anyone that is upset about this 'trojan horse' behavior that Apple adopted, give me your address so I can show up at your doorstep and kick you in the schnitzel.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    ashawleyashawley Posts: 5member
    Just agreeing with all those posting that there's nothing shifty here about what Apple did. It's standard practice!!!

Don't believe me? Let's see, go to Adobe's site and download Acrobat Reader. Guess what? Yup, good ol' Google Toolbar is selected by default to be installed.

It's everywhere folks.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    qntmfredqntmfred Posts: 6member
    ill-gotten gains, i say

ill-gotten gains
  • Reply 34 of 55
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    people complaining about apple and the safari update issue need to get a life!
  • Reply 35 of 55
    safari for windows is something of a waste of money.

apple would do far better to produce pages & keynote for windows. helping to establish them as a real alternative to MS office would gain apple far more than a web browser.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Safari 3.1 on Windows has rapidly muscled gains over the past six weeks, already tripling Safari 3.0's peak at 0.21 percent.

Who else would get excited for a 0.21% browser footprint?

If I could write my own program, maybe I could beat the 0.21% market share of Safari on Windows. Nothing to get excited.

• Reply 37 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, Safari 3.1 on Windows has rapidly muscled gains over the past six weeks, already tripling Safari 3.0's peak at 0.21 percent.

Inch worm, inch worm!!

Those "muscled gains" could use some steroids and get it above 1.0%.

"Ugggh- come on! You can do it- you can do it!!!!!["
  • Reply 38 of 55
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

It will be interesting to see data showing whether people are actually USING safari for windows, once that's available.

That is exactly what is being tracked.

The number of people actually using a certain browser/OS.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    phytonixphytonix Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

No I guess that is just error. Because the market share of Mac OS X decreased too.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Who else would get excited for a 0.21% browser footprint?

If I could write my own program, maybe I could beat the 0.21% market share of Safari on Windows. Nothing to get excited.

Recheck your math. % .21 is a lot of computers using your browser. A whole lot.