3G iPhone Rumour round-up

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is what I'm hearing;

- There will be two new iPhone models not just one; one is black plastic and the other is aluminum

- The 3g iPhones used for testing have a different design from the real thing, i.e. they're decoy designs

- 3g iPhone is fatter than current design

- Revised model will be avaliable in 16 Gb, 32 Gb and 64 Gb models

- There is some new killer app incorporated within the IPhone, it may be video calling

Anyone else got the scoop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

This is what I'm hearing;

- There will be two new iPhone models not just one; one is black plastic and the other is aluminum

- The 3g iPhones used for testing have a different design from the real thing, i.e. they're decoy designs

- 3g iPhone is fatter than current design

- Revised model will be avaliable in 16 Gb, 32 Gb and 64 Gb models

- There is some new killer app incorporated within the IPhone, it may be video calling

Anyone else got the scoop?

Well there's also the:

2.8" screen iPhone

Carrier subsidized iPhone

Carrier unlocked iPhone

OLED 3.5" screen iPhone

iPhone is thinner than the current design

iPhone at $200, $300, $400 or $500

More tapered iPhone (like the MBA)

3 iPhone models

iPhone with WiMAX

iPhone with GPS or A-GPS

Mobile Safari with Youtube plugin

Picture saving from Safari/Email

iPhone OS with remote control software

Maps app will continuously track location

Contacts will become its own app with search capability

Bluetooth stereo headphone support

Plus untold others. The rumors are getting out of hand.

16 GB flash storage is it. 32 GB may be possible if they make it thicker. 64 GB is out of the question really. You won't be seeing 32 Gbit flash chips for another year, maybe. The flash chips need to make a 32 GB single flash package (SD card size) probably won't be arriving until early next year at best.

I think Apple will have some sort of application that will take advantage of 3G so as to market/sell the product. I'd put video calling low on that list though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    The main thing to understand though is that for every true rumor floating around about the 2G (as in second-generation) iPhone there are ten false rumors.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

The main thing to understand though is that for every true rumor floating around about the 2G (as in second-generation) iPhone there are ten false rumors.

I don't think there is any "true" rumors about the iPhone. The only thing we really know is from what AT&T said, and that was that it is a 3G model. Thats all there is AFAIAC.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    German Newspaper 'Wirtschaftswoche' claims info from Infineon Insiders, that the drop of 15% in sales at Infineon is based, that 'Apple clears inventory' of chips needed for 'old' iPhone. Infineon's predictions for forthcoming quarterly period includes growth based upon sales of 3g chips to the iPhone maker..

full story (in German) here:

http://www.wiwo.de/unternehmer-maerk...uartal-291701/
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Thanks THT, great additional stuff contributed by you!

This 3G iPhone has got me excited. I am totally confident that it is going to be a great product, whatever it looks like.

That said, I have to say that the form factor of the current iPhone is just about perfect in my book. It is beautifully thin and not too heavy. Screen real estate is perfectly balanced with an overall size that fits nicely in the hand when making a call and easily in a shirt or jacket pocket when on stand-by.

I like the aluminum back plate , because it gives the iPhone a feeling of solidity and robustness. I think a plastic case would definitely reduce the sense of perceived quality I currently enjoy, so, for once, I hope Apple doesn't change anything except to provide 3G functionality.

If I had one complaint about the iPhone it is that its shiny metal surfaces can make it a bit slippery at times. But overall, it is the best phone i've ever owned and by a margin that makes me feel sorry for the competition.

It is now a matter of days away so the waiting will soon be over. (By the way, Looks like Walter Mossberg's ad hoc comments about the 3G iPhone's release date were spot on. Way to go, Walt!)