iTunes Question #73462 ? Firewire Drives

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi All,

I have a question that I cannot seem to find a straight answer. I am hoping the brilliant members here can help!

I bought a USB/firewire drive for all of my music. Using my MacBook Pro, I created the iTunes library on the external drive by holding down the option key and creating a new library on the external drive. I set iTunes to organize the music, etc. and all of the songs show up when I am on the MacBook Pro.

I also have a MacBook Air. When I hook up the same external drive to it and I open iTunes, I hold down the option key to choose the library on the external drive. The iTunes window comes up blank.

I thought this should work! Help?!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I bought a USB/firewire drive for all of my music. Using my MacBook Pro, I created the iTunes library on the external drive by holding down the option key and creating a new library on the external drive. I set iTunes to organize the music, etc. and all of the songs show up when I am on the MacBook Pro.

I also have a MacBook Air. When I hook up the same external drive to it and I open iTunes, I hold down the option key to choose the library on the external drive. The iTunes window comes up blank.

I thought this should work! Help?!

I do this myself and it works with my USB drive. You may have to set the music folder location too. Go into itunes menu > preferences > advanced and set the folder location to the itunes music folder. Then restart itunes.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Wow! That was it! Thank you!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    be careful though, after a year's experience using iTunes on external drives (shared drive, firewire drive), it will default to local disk occasionally and usually at the wrong time (while you are downloading podcasts, movies) and your library will be in a weird state, split between local and your external.

This happens when the drive is not seen when you open iTunes so it defaults to local disk and screws you without notification. Major bug/oversight imho, it should warn you in a big fat message box that YOUR DRIVE IS NOT FOUND! or something, but you won't know until you are missing an album the next time you look for it, then you have to re-add it.

very external drive unfriendly.