Office X Word unexpectedly quits, after installing Jaguar - how to fix?

djdj
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Having just installed Jaguar yesterday, I have tried unseccessfully to open Offcie X Word, but it continually *unexpected quits.* It appears to get hung up as it is optimizing fonts. Does anyone know how to correct this problem so that Word will open, or will I have to uninstall Jaguar to be able to use Word?

I have looked at some related topics, but did not find a solution. I hope someone knows the answer and can help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Why don't you just reinstall Office X?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    update Office ass
  • Reply 3 of 15
    djdj Posts: 2member
    coolmac, thank you for the suggestion, before posting my question I reinstalled Office (and also updated with 10.1.2 and 10.1.3), unfortunately there was no difference, it still quits at font optimization as the program loads, but I appreciate your advise/suggestion.

applenut, as a new user of this wonderful site and an apple user in the 80s, who has recently come back to macs after years of frustration with unintuitive PCs, I am sorry that people are treated in this manner on this site. I will probably think twice, before I will use this board again.

Thank yous to everyones information and ideas, that I have read on this great site, so far.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

update Office ass

My, we're pleasant tonight.

Try deleting the prefs "Office Font Cache (10)". It's under ~home/Library/Preferences/Microsoft. If it doesn't fix the quitting problem, it will at least fix the wacky font-ness problems.

Also, applenut is correct. There is an update to Office. You want the x.1.2 update.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    guys applenut was testing the forums before they went live... sometimes he can be an ass... but i don't think he meant any harm here... just ignore him...
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

guys applenut was testing the forums before they went live... sometimes he can be an ass... but i don't think he meant any harm here... just ignore him...

Oh... you mean he's been a perpetual forum tester? That explains it.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Oh... you mean he's been a perpetual forum tester? That explains it.

heh... something like that...

good use of color.... but i have a feeling that this feature will not last long, especially if it is abused....
  • Reply 8 of 15
    wi04kwi04k Posts: 5member
    i had the same problem. you will have to move some fonts out of the fonts folders. office crashes at startup with too many fonts installed.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wi04k

i had the same problem. you will have to move some fonts out of the fonts folders. office crashes at startup with too many fonts installed.

Interesting, this I didn't know... Thanks for the heads up.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Actually, Office is extra sensitive to font files. If any one font is corrupted in the slightest, the Office apps will totally crash on launch. This has been an ongoing issue since Office v.X was first released.

There are two solutions.

One: remove fonts a few at a time and keep relaunching Office until you find the one(s) it chokes on.

Two: Remove all custom fonts, launch Office, disable the in the option for WYSIWYG menus, quit Office, put the fonts back, and relaunch Office. I believe that will make it skip the font-scanning step that it takes when launching. Of course, if you happen to select the offending font and use it, it may crash then instead. I'm not sure about the latter.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Two: Remove all custom fonts, launch Office, disable the in the option for WYSIWYG menus, quit Office, put the fonts back, and relaunch Office. I believe that will make it skip the font-scanning step that it takes when launching.

I had this problem and tried that fix, but it didn't work for me. I had to manually go through the fonts to find the offending ones and trash em. Was good for me, there were too much crap in there neways.

You'd think such a common bug would be better documented and informed about though.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pissed off Whyatt

You'd think such a common bug would be better documented and informed about though.

Actually, it was. It's been on Microsoft's newsgroup server since it was released: microsoft.public.mac.office. (You know—that news server at the bottom of your Entourage.

You can also try the Microslug volunteer guys (MVP, whatever that means). Here's an example:

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/index.html

I think if you look, all of Micro$ofts bugs, errors, mistakes, vulnerabilities, faux pas, bad hair days, etc., are well documented on the web.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

I think if you look, all of Micro$ofts bugs, errors, mistakes, vulnerabilities, faux pas, bad hair days, etc., are well documented on the web.

On the web, yes. I think a bug this common should be straight in the read-me, though.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pissed off Whyatt

On the web, yes. I think a bug this common should be straight in the read-me, though.

... which is why you'll never get a job at Microsoft's documentation department.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I had the exact same problem.

Updating to the newest version (which I downloaded from the site) fixed it for me.

[edit]: but I see you tried that. sorry.