UK's Carphone Warehouse now completely out of iPhones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

This is misleading. O2 have their own retail stores. Carphone Warehouse are a separate company entirely who sells phones from all of the carriers, not just O2.

What is misleading about it? It seem to correctly state the two companies functions. It first states that Carphone Warehouse is the high street retailer of UK-based wireless operator and then states that O2 is exclusive iPhone provider.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,438moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netdog View Post

I suspect that the 3G is going to be released any day now.

Or, they might want to build up some hype like Nintendo did with the Wii. OMG they are all out of stock, what will we do. As soon as people can't have something, they seem to want it more - kids exhibit this behaviour all the time.

I reckon that it will be released before the WWDC though because they will want to focus on what software is out for it.

My question is will O2 subsidize iphones like AT&T might? If they gave away 3G iphones for £99 or so on a £35 a month contract, I'd be right there. £270 is just a bit much for a phone with that contract.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is misleading about it? It seem to correctly state the two companies functions. It first states that Carphone Warehouse is the high street retailer of UK-based wireless operator and then states that O2 is exclusive iPhone provider.

Carphone Warehouse are not the high street retailer of O2 - they're one of many that sell O2 products and are not owned by O2.

The original article said "Carphone Warehouse, the high street retailer of UK-based wireless operator and exclusive iPhone provider O2". That's not the case.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Carphone Warehouse are not the high street retailer of O2 - they're one of many that sell O2 products and are not owned by O2.

The original article said "Carphone Warehouse, the high street retailer of UK-based wireless operator and exclusive iPhone provider O2". That's not the case.

Ah, I read it as the conjunction and was separating two subjects and predicates, not one subject and two predicates.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    the discount b tmobile germany was only ?99 for the most expensive plan. the cheapest plan had/has the 8GB model selling for ?249!
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

This is strange and unprecedented. I didn't now how Apple was going to deal with this. Since I can't find any info that suggests the FCC can black any info of a newly approved product Apple would have to be very clever about how it releases the 3G iPhone. Since the 2.5G iPhone is essentially 'sold out" or, to put another way, not stock piled in warehouses and stores to be sold at a loss, could Apple be ready to release a 3G iPhone the day the FCC approves it? I believe only a back panel etching (if still metal) of the FCC # and packaging would be needed before shipping from China. That means that new iPhones could announced one day and arriving within a week.

Or, can Apple request that the FCC hold off on publicly releasing a product has passed in favour of a date set by Apple?

It's always a good idea to never use absolutes.

yes, the FCC has that option to wait with the release until the day a company starts selling...

it costs a little more of course!
  • Reply 27 of 32
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Or, can Apple request that the FCC hold off on publicly releasing a product has passed in favour of a date set by Apple?

As smokeonit said, there is a procedure to delay the announcement. I think Apple uses it regularly. I think that's why the new wireless keyboard was a surprise, the same with the new wireless mouse.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I have a friend who is reliable.

I have a reliable friend too, unfortunately he knows d*ck-all about Apple

Quote:

I'm just not with it today. Not getting jokes or formatting my thoughts 'good'.

My guess is a combined Star Wars edition / 3G iPhone announcement tomorrow

May the Fourth be with you!
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I have a reliable friend too, unfortunately he knows d*ck-all about Apple

My guess is a combined Star Wars edition / 3G iPhone announcement tomorrow

May the Fourth be with you!

i thought the WWDC will be the iphone 3G date???
  • Reply 30 of 32
    11thindian11thindian Posts: 181member
    I move back and forth on this. Is the keynote for WWDC really the place to spend half an hour talking about new product launches? "Late June" [theoretically after WWDC] has been the launch date for 2.0 software and the appStore since Macworld. THAT is a big presentation in and of itself, and would probably run well over 2 hours if a hardware component[s] were involved.

Apple only ever gives newsmedia about a week of notice before an event. It could be that we'll see a special town hall event before WWDC to premier [or launch, though the reports from manufacturers don't back that up] the new iPhone model[s], ala last years iPod event, leaving lots of room for developer talk at WWDC and 2.0 software and appStore demoing at the event later in the month.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

I move back and forth on this. Is the keynote for WWDC really the place to spend half an hour talking about new product launches? "Late June" [theoretically after WWDC] has been the launch date for 2.0 software and the appStore since Macworld. THAT is a big presentation in and of itself, and would probably run well over 2 hours if a hardware component[s] were involved.

Apple only ever gives newsmedia about a week of notice before an event. It could be that we'll see a special town hall event before WWDC to premier [or launch, though the reports from manufacturers don't back that up] the new iPhone model[s], ala last years iPod event, leaving lots of room for developer talk at WWDC and 2.0 software and appStore demoing at the event later in the month.

I agree with that assessment. Although it's become a popular notion that the 3G iphone will be announced at WWDC, It would take up a large chunk of what is supposed to be a developers conference. Combine this idea with the fact that there are many reports of iPhones being completely out of stock, and I'd bet that there is a 3G iPhone-only event before WWDC.

A different idea is that Apple is running ahead of schedule and WWDC will actually be the introduction/release of the new firmware and App Store. This also being done after a special 3G Iphone release prior to WWDC.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    11thindian11thindian Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I agree with that assessment. Although it's become a popular notion that the 3G iphone will be announced at WWDC, It would take up a large chunk of what is supposed to be a developers conference. Combine this idea with the fact that there are many reports of iPhones being completely out of stock, and I'd bet that there is a 3G iPhone-only event before WWDC.

A different idea is that Apple is running ahead of schedule and WWDC will actually be the introduction/release of the new firmware and App Store. This also being done after a special 3G Iphone release prior to WWDC.

Yes. It's always seemed a bit odd in terms of timing that WWDC is mid June, and there'd be a separate even at the end of June for iPhone 2.0 software and appStore. Certainly, it's a possibility that these two things could be demoed at WWDC and just "launched" later in the month.

The other element to what is sure to be an iPhone related bonanza in June is an announcement of all the additional regions they'll be moving into. Personally, I think this will be tied to the hardware event: "Here's the new iPhone[s], and we're thrilled to announce you'll be able to buy it in all these new countries...".

New hardware, new software [enterprise ready], appStore, new territories. It's a trifecta of goodness for Apple.