Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz

Comments

• Reply 281 of 362
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So has anyone torn the new iMacs apart yet?

Not that I've seen. I'm still waiting to get a full run down of the platform utilized by these Penryns.
  • Reply 282 of 362
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Unfortunately, right now we are a bad period, monitorwise. LCD is a compromise. I just can't wait until we can get OLEDs.

I've seen the Sony OLED Tv, and it is amazing, and I don't say that often.

Unfortunately, there's problems with OLED, too. The biggest one is ageing, they do so relatively rapidly, and the three primary colours don't age at the same rate.

I feel that LED backlit LCD is the best solution, with "local dimming", whereby the LED backlight is quite fine-grained (e.g. one per square of 4, 9 or 16 screen pixels) and whose brightness can be controlled on an individual LED level.
  • Reply 283 of 362
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Unfortunately, there's problems with OLED, too. The biggest one is ageing, they do so relatively rapidly, and the three primary colours don't age at the same rate.

You may be right. But at this point I think I would take amazing for a short(er) period of time rather than average for a long(er) period of time.

Perhaps LED backlighting on an iMac would be different but the LED backlit displays on MBPs aren't that much better than the old conventional LCD displays IMO.
  • Reply 284 of 362
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I feel that LED backlit LCD is the best solution, with "local dimming", whereby the LED backlight is quite fine-grained (e.g. one per square of 4, 9 or 16 screen pixels) and whose brightness can be controlled on an individual LED level.

Aging isn't really a problem.

there are two kinds of OLED panels.

The rigid panels have no aging problems. for example, the Sony 11" Tv is rated at 30,000 hours. That's about normal for present panels.

The second type is the bendable panel. that has aging problems. Most of those panels won't last more than 10,000 hours right now.

It has to do with moisture proofing. The rigid panels can be moisture proofed without a problem, but due to the materials used for the bendable panels, they haven't found a way to prevent moisture inflitration through the materials.

But there seems to have been a breakthrough in that regard. I hope the new material can be utilized for this before too long.
  • Reply 285 of 362
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mastersonics View Post

So it's kind of negligible unless I get the Extreme model?

thanks for your help

regards,

Charles

From some posts I have read, people should care less about 2.8 vs. 3.06, and care more about ATI vs. nVidia. Apparently, ATI graphics handle the OS X GUI and applications that use Core Image better than nVidia graphics, but the nVidia graphics are better when it comes to gaming.
  • Reply 286 of 362
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

From some posts I have read, people should care less about 2.8 vs. 3.06, and care more about ATI vs. nVidia. Apparently, ATI graphics handle the OS X GUI and applications that use Core Image better than nVidia graphics, but the nVidia graphics are better when it comes to gaming.

Some posts here or elsewhere, any links?

I'm not questioning you, am quite interested. The graphics war between these two intrigues me but as a non-gamer nor heavy image user I've never really looked into it that much
  • Reply 287 of 362
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So has anyone torn the new iMacs apart yet?

I doubt they look any different.
  • Reply 288 of 362
    the pie manthe pie man Posts: 425member
    Sweet - my 3.0 just arrived FedEx. Was supposed to be here on Tuesday - I'm amazed to see it. Won't really get a chance until monday to give it a workout, but of course I'll have to at least set it up
  • Reply 289 of 362
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Some posts here or elsewhere, any links?

I'm not questioning you, am quite interested. The graphics war between these two intrigues me but as a non-gamer nor heavy image user I've never really looked into it that much

Right now, the 88GS is the fastest gpu for the iMac. That's not in question.

Do you need the extra speed for 2D work?

No.

Do you need it for 3D games and proframs?

Yes.

What you do determines its value to you.

But the 3.06 GHz machine is faster. That may make a difference, and it may not. It also depends.

For 2D work, the difference will be small, but useful.

For 3D games, it would feed the gpu faster, and could account for some of that FPS speedup we see.
  • Reply 290 of 362
    Just plugged in and turned it on (didn't even remove the plastic protection yet) - it's dead silent on boot - I can hear my Core Duo mini sitting next to it. Backlighting is uneven - there's a large dark 'smudge' in the middle, and the left side of the screen is definitely brighter than the rest. I think this one is going back I'm going to keep replacing them until I get one with an even backlight - I do web design and a lot of photo stuff so this just won't cut it...
  • Reply 291 of 362
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

Just plugged in and turned it on (didn't even remove the plastic protection yet) - it's dead silent on boot - I can hear my Core Duo mini sitting next to it. Backlighting is uneven - there's a large dark 'smudge' in the middle, and the left side of the screen is definitely brighter than the rest. I think this one is going back I'm going to keep replacing them until I get one with an even backlight - I do web design and a lot of photo stuff so this just won't cut it...

You might at least remove the protective cover, then reset the desktop screen, before you declare it a disaster and return it.
  • Reply 292 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

You might at least remove the protective cover, then reset the desktop screen, before you declare it a disaster and return it.

Cover is off - it's obviously the backlight that's the problem. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't even notice but for photo work it's a no-go, so it's not exactly a disaster.

back at ya.
  • Reply 293 of 362
    Quote:

Cover is off - it's obviously the backlight that's the problem. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't even notice but for photo work it's a no-go, so it's not exactly a disaster.

back at ya.

Now, that's better, at least you gave it a fair shot. I've been complaining about the display since last August, because I too do photo work. Anyway, I was just hoping that Apple decided to use better displays for the new models, instead of that last august disaster. It will no doubt work for most folks, but not for high end graphics, and/or photography, so, for those folks doing that work it IS a disaster.

If you live near an Apple Store, you might exchange it there, and check the replacement out before you leave the store.

I know that this is a major PITA, and Apple is acting like it's a non-issue. Good luck, and be sure to keep us up to date.
  • Reply 294 of 362
    I live right next door to nowhere (not even an Apple store in the state ), so I've got an RMA number and free FedEx pickup. They are sending a replacement and I'm going to use this until it arrives. Support was good - I actually spoke with 2 applecare people (got cut off with the first one). Neither one really understood what I meant when I said the backlight was uneven, but they asked and I was then escalated. I said I wanted a replacement and that was that - very good service.

The screen itself would actually be pretty nice if the backlight was even. I'm not really minding the glossy screen too much, but I haven't really done much with it. I do have to say though, last evening I was using it and even with no windows behind me, some sun was coming in the room and landing on me. My reflection in the screen was enough that I couldn't see what I was working on (I was editing a photo). I'm definitely keeping a second monitor attached, and it's definitely not a glossy one
  • Reply 295 of 362
    Quote:

I live right next door to nowhere (not even an Apple store in the state ), so I've got an RMA number and free FedEx pickup. They are sending a replacement and I'm going to use this until it arrives. Support was good - I actually spoke with 2 applecare people (got cut off with the first one). Neither one really understood what I meant when I said the backlight was uneven, but they asked and I was then escalated. I said I wanted a replacement and that was that - very good service.

The screen itself would actually be pretty nice if the backlight was even. I'm not really minding the glossy screen too much, but I haven't really done much with it. I do have to say though, last evening I was using it and even with no windows behind me, some sun was coming in the room and landing on me. My reflection in the screen was enough that I couldn't see what I was working on (I was editing a photo). I'm definitely keeping a second monitor attached, and it's definitely not a glossy one

Now all we need is to start a lottery concerning how many replacements it will take to get a good one. \
  • Reply 296 of 362
    Looks like the 24-inch models are being offered with the same defective displays as the ones before the speed refresh.

I think it is safe to say that the 20-inch models will also have the same displays with the washed-out colors and uneven brightness. Has anyone seen it for themselves?

Having worked with iBook for the past 3 years with much patience, I was ready to run and grab a 20-inch 2.66gHz iMac, but was kindly reminded of the huge controversy surrounding the defective screens. While I am not a professional graphic artist, I am very sensitive to colors and I know that those small things will bother me a lot.

If only Apple listened to its consumers and replaced those screens (with an option for non-glossy screen - I can only hope) than the 20-inch 2.66gHz iMac would have been a perfect machine for me.
  • Reply 297 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paloozamalooza View Post

Looks like the 24-inch models are being offered with the same defective displays as the ones before the speed refresh.

I think it is safe to say that the 20-inch models will also have the same displays with the washed-out colors and uneven brightness. Has anyone seen it for themselves?

Having worked with iBook for the past 3 years with much patience, I was ready to run and grab a 20-inch 2.66gHz iMac, but was kindly reminded of the huge controversy surrounding the defective screens. While I am not a professional graphic artist, I am very sensitive to colors and I know that those small things will bother me a lot.

If only Apple listened to its consumers and replaced those screens (with an option for non-glossy screen - I can only hope) than the 20-inch 2.66gHz iMac would have been a perfect machine for me.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh. it's not a matter of glossy, or non-glossy screens. It's a mater of uneven backlighting across the screen, glossy screen, or not, does not effect that.
  • Reply 298 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh. it's not a matter of glossy, or non-glossy screens. It's a mater of uneven backlighting across the screen, glossy screen, or not, does not effect that.

Perhaps if you had read my post, then you'd have realized that I recognize the uneven backlights as a separate problem to the glossy screen, not related.

Apple's display, has had a number of problems including uneven backlighting, dead pixels, washed-out colors, as well as a cheap gloss without any anti-glare coating or an option to at least drop the gloss for the end-users.
  • Reply 299 of 362
    I have to say for a "defective" screen, this thing is gorgeous. It makes my old 2001FP look like dirt next to it (nothing like a new monitor to make you realize how dim your old one was!).

Using this machine I doubt anyone would notice the backlight isn't even - I just did a couple Aperture tutorials and I wouldn't actually know if I hadn't checked the screen previously. It is actually really easy on the eyes - it is amazingly bright, but stays nice at dimmer levels. It is crystal clear which is something the glossy screen really highlights.

I'm really happy with my purchase overall - can't wait to actually do some work on it.
  • Reply 300 of 362
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paloozamalooza View Post

Perhaps if you had read my post, then you'd have realized that I recognize the uneven backlights as a separate problem to the glossy screen, not related.

Apple's display, has had a number of problems including uneven backlighting, dead pixels, washed-out colors, as well as a cheap gloss without any anti-glare coating or an option to at least drop the gloss for the end-users.

The only problem is consumers actually "like" the gloss. Hell I have to admit....matte LCDs look like shit to me.